Best way to transport toys

Foblander

I may be making a long move soon (15 hour drive). I am leaving everything behind except for my Macross and Gundam toys (with it's boxes and all), my 2 road bikes, and my dog. I have a CRV and I think of the best way to transport these things. I think it will take up too much space where my dog won't be comfortable so I'm thinking about shipping my toys, but for some reason I fear the toys might arrive broken. Has anyone had any experience moving their Macross toys? How was the shipping experience for a larger amount of toys? Anyone with better suggestions please feel free to chime in. :)

Edited by Foblander

4 minutes ago, Foblander said:

I may be making a long move soon (15 hour drive). I am leaving everything behind except for my Macross and Gundam toys (with it's boxes and all), my 2 road bikes, and my dog. I have a CRV and I think of the best way to transport these things. I think it will take up too much space where my dog won't be comfortable so I'm thinking about shipping my toys, but for some reason I fear the toys might arrive broken. Has anyone had any experience moving their Macross toys? How was the shipping experience for a larger amount of toys? Anyone with better suggestions please feel free to chime in. :)

Did it twice from Michigan to Florida and back to MI, each time with a larger moving truck (movers the 2nd time around) and each time within their original boxes stored into larger moving boxes.

Re: shipping, which could get pricey depending on how many boxes and/or their size. Breakage wouldn't be my concern, it'd be cost and arrival time to coincide with your arrival to take delivery of them (or I guess you could ask the shipper to hold them at a local way point).

My recommendation, if your moving budget allows, is to get a small trailer and tow it with your CRV. Otherwise fill up the rear lift gate area, back seats and leave the front for you and man's best friend.

Good luck on the relocation! 

-b.

I’ve moved all around the world and my collection since childhood mostly came with me or stayed in storage (at relatives homes). Just store in boxes and move with a trailer or rented truck or hire movers. If you are leaving other stuff behind, is it all going to trash or do you mean they will stay at a place you have access to? If you will have access to all the stuff you are leaving behind, you might consider leaving the toys and next time you go back, take a flight and then rent a uhaul to bring what you need. I’ve mostly lived in warm climates and yellowing has not been a problem on anything but toys I’ve left in front of sunny windows for extended periods. 

Thanks for the tips everyone. Unfortunately I don't have a hitch on my crv or else a small uhaul would be a perfect solution. Maybe I can look into how much it is to install one. The only thing is I'm planning to sell the CRV almost immediately once I get to final destination since I'll need AWD for the winter.. or else I would not mind investing in a hitch if it is a costly transaction. 

Maybe I can go to a bike shop and have them break down my two bikes and ship them. Then I'll just have the Macross toy boxes and my dog. Lol

@Slave IV I plan on selling/giving away everything I have before I move (I rent so no access to a storage place after I move).

16 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Is that a Natioanl Lampoons Vacation reference?:p

Lol, I wasn’t thinking about that. 

But seriously, I was never into roof racks but now with kids and not wanting to drive SUVs, roof racks have been amazing for traveling storage. With a box on top of my R32, my little hatch can hold more than a SUV. Last time I rented an SUV, I ended up returning it after finding I could fit a lot more in my own car with the rack. Definitely a great investment that will be cheaper than most other option plus you will have it for life. I guess the main thing is if you plan on switching cars soon, the cost of the rack would be lost unless you sell it separately. Or, get a more universal bike rack that attaches to the back of cars.