Yamato 1/60 V2 VF-1J head disasembly

levzloi

I'm trying to dissemble a VF-1J head for painting, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with that.  Can it be done without destroying the head, or should I resign myself to painting it assembled and living with it more or less fixed pose?  I have the unassembled instructions, and it looks like it's pretty well glued together with no real clear seams to attack. 

• 2 months later...
On 10/6/2019 at 1:21 AM, levzloi said:

I'm trying to dissemble a VF-1J head for painting, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with that.  Can it be done without destroying the head, or should I resign myself to painting it assembled and living with it more or less fixed pose?  I have the unassembled instructions, and it looks like it's pretty well glued together with no real clear seams to attack. 

I would consider trying to mask off parts of it and after main painting, using a small brush to get into the areas spray can't get to easily. It sounds like trying to disassemble the head would be a major pain and risky at best.

• 6 months later...

So I finally followed through on this, and I've included the results in the pictures below (instruction page courtesy of Anymoon.com).  I was able to remove the front of the visor and the colored green plastic with just a razor blade and not much fuss.  The rest required an overnight soak in GooGone.  As you can see it also did a reasonable job softening up the paint for me and I was able to wipe most of it off.  Using a razor blade and small screwdriver to attack the joints I was able to carefully pry off the head cap, and then it was easy to split the other pieces.  Where I am now, is trying to get the screws/pegs off of the head lasers.  Has anyone done this before or assembled the kit?  They don't seem to be unscrewing when I use the pliers to twist them, are they just glued metal pegs?  Would another GooGone bath do the trick?IMG_4755.JPG.2e70277f07c4b5e932528713b6718865.JPGIMG_4753.JPG.326072002108980ccb30074b6144f9ce.JPGIMG_4754.JPG.c1287ce01728b32f2b99b9bc2fa61414.JPGimg18.jpg.2b117afcca7497b5c962c4d522543a28.jpg

Turns out the "screws" are metal pegs with anchoring grooves, they will come out if you slowly and gently pry them up with a small screw driver while turning the laser in a circle.  So deconstructing a Yamato VF-1J head can be accomplished.  When I'm finished I'll have to post pictures of my finished custom VF-1J Cavaliers.  :)

Edited by levzloi

I guess that would make sense, as if you were on a production line churning out thousands of valkyrie toys, if you could simply have a press in peg for some items vs a small screw, it could save a lot of time.

Great detective work on that!! :)

• 3 weeks later...