Hachette Collection 1/24 VF-1S (subscription collectable)

CF18

Before anyone get too excited, search "hachette collection tomcat" on ebay and look at the price..

From what I can tell, their business model for these large model are subscription service, and they mail a set of pieces to you every week or every month.  It may take 50+ sets to complete the model.  Some initial sets will be sold in magazine rack in e.g. 7-11 in Japan at low price to entice customers.

Related topic on the 1/32 Tomcat:

https://plaza.rakuten.co.jp/kazuw01/diary/201909220000/

http://www.hachette-collections.jp/collections.html

VmBtpRL.jpg

rGgz2GX.jpg

0qgtwoR.jpg

Edited by CF18

9 minutes ago, tekering said:

Yeah, the PLAMAX kits are bigger, come with Super/Strike parts, and cost a fraction of the price.

Subscriptions kits? Guess it's a step above real life loot boxes in that you know what you are getting up front, but not by much.

The motorized movement and controls are nice though.

There are a whole bunch of these on the market for a variety of topics from Star Wars, to Back to the Future, etc.  The price is crazy, but some of the features make the model quite nice like light up components, etc.  If the magazines were in english and I had 2 years to collect it, the amortized price would not be too bad.  A good modeller could do the same with the PLAMAX offering.

It'll probably cost around $1500.  That is simply the going rate for most major/recent partwork sets.  Plane, train, car, ship.  $1500.   May be 50 volumes, or 150 volumes.  But probably in the 80-120 volume range, and around $1500.   Planes do tend to be in the upper range though, so I wouldn't be surprised if this costs 2000.   It does seem to be a bit less advanced (functions-wise) than the F-14D though. 

If it follows the standard method, it'll be like this:

Vol 1: cockpit/canopy (large, obvious parts).   Build cockpit, set aside canopy for later (don't lose it!).   Cheap intro price to get you hooked---5 bucks? 

Vol2:  Left tailfin, with skull squadron logo! "Big, cool-looking pieces to continue getting you hooked/involved".   Attach rudder to fin, set aside for later.  Price increased---10 bucks? 

Vol 3-70:  wires, screws, frame/structure.  Full price, 20 bucks each? 

Vol 71-79: fuselage skin, right tailfin.

Vol 80:  Attach canopy and left tailfin, from Vols 1-2, finishing the model.  

Just so people know what they're getting into, if they're seriously considering dropping the money.  Actual modeling skills needed are few----it'll be just screwing together bits, and maybe a very tiny amount of gluing.   No painting or decals, should be entirely pre-finished.  (That's a bit chunk of what you're paying for---almost all parts are de-sprued, trimmed, painted, bagged, and sorted, when you get them) 

I want to say if they had done the full strike pack option, or done the proper flap/spoiler system for the wings I would have jumped in.. but I feel like I really can't justify that expense on a non-transforming VF-1, no matter how many bells and whistles it has.

It does look a fair bit better quality/detail than the 1/20 kit though.

It's quite a handsome valk, no doubt, but I'm already trying to complete the Hachette 2202 Yamato which is already a gonzo build in itself.  I agree, for the overall total price this model will command, I do expect Super/Strike packs to be included, but maybe they'll be offered as an absurd exclusive subscription bonus.  If the issues for the valk are gonna be anything like the Yamato run, then I expect the first issue to be like 300 yen, then 1800-2000 yen for next 100 or so issues. 

Hachette has excellent visual guides in their instructions and videos in their Youtube channel. All in Japanese of course, but they're all very clear in what they want you to do.

Oh yeah, HLJ and their private warehouse has been great for me in collecting each issue.

Edited by Valkyrie Hunter D

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

I want to say if they had done the full strike pack option, or done the proper flap/spoiler system for the wings I would have jumped in.. but I feel like I really can't justify that expense on a non-transforming VF-1, no matter how many bells and whistles it has.

It does look a fair bit better quality/detail than the 1/20 kit though.

I believe the F-14 had full slats and spoilers, in addition to the flaps.  Thus my comment that this one isn't as "full-featured" as the F-14. 

4 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

For this price, you may as well get a 1/48 build it yourself kit from Yamato/Arcadia/whatever they're called now. I know they're not exactly plentiful, but at this price, I'd at leas expect it to transform or something.

This is 1/24 scale....it's double the size of the 1/48

On 9/27/2019 at 7:30 AM, Knight26 said:

At this price I'd rather by the 1:20 with fastpack and weapons set and have a pro-model builder customize it for me with all the bells and whistles.  Probably still end up cheaper.

Speaking of customizing.....has anyone added joints to the 1/20 Gerwalk to make it more pose-able?

4 hours ago, peter said:

Speaking of customizing.....has anyone added joints to the 1/20 Gerwalk to make it more pose-able?

It's really, really, REALLY tempting but I'm already half a year behind my finishing date with just a straight build.

It seems like it would be a really fun project to make it more mobile or even just go full Battroid conversion......maybe if i get another one.....

23 hours ago, peter said:

Oh, sure.  Shoulders, elbows and wrists were easily modified...

flight-posed.jpg

...but just reinforcing the legs enough for it to stand on its own was a challenge.

nailed.jpg

The legs are just hollow shells, not even designed to handle the weight of the model.  Articulating them would require a fairly robust internal support structure.

Also to note, most of the Hachette kits are majority diecast.  The entire hull of the Yamato is diecast as well as parts of the guns, etc.  So the allure is a heavy diecast static model with remote-control moving parts and lights.  This and the plamax are very different kits. 

Edited by easnoddy

6 hours ago, MechTech said:

That's also a long time to wait on building up your kit. Then you hope the company doesn't fold after your kit is halfway done. - MT

QFT.

I don’t have the patience nor space to store that many boxes for just one model.

I would much better utilize the space for other items.

For my taste, this will be one of the best Macross toys ever when completed: Remote controlled canopy, landing gear, and the classic Macross verniers.  It's fantastic.

But I wouldn't drop that kind of money on a toy.  And the subscription approach is not interesting to me either.

I sort of got the green light to get this.  When I showed the wife, she was surprised I didn't want it.  The mother in law got me the Deagostini Azuchi castle, and I've been slowly bringing the bits back from Japan over the years, so this sort of thing isn't shocking for her.  I really wanted Yamato when it first came out, but I passed because I could not in good conscience get that instead of feeding my kids.  I may have to pass on this one as well, even though the wife sort of hinted it would be ok.

The Yamato is about $110 shipped for 4 kits a month (buying 2 at a time).  Total cost over 110 weeks (2 years and 6 weeks): $3000

So about $1300 a year.  Mind you, 1/3 of what you're paying for is shipping.  Mine is about 1/3 built, and its VERY impressive thus far.

Check out this test someone did thus far: 

Edited by easnoddy

6 minutes ago, easnoddy said:

The Yamato is about $110 shipped for 4 kits a month (buying 2 at a time).  Total cost over 110 weeks (2 years and 6 weeks): $3000

So about $1300 a year.  Mind you, 1/3 of what you're paying for is shipping.  Mine is about 1/3 built, and its VERY impressive thus far.

Check out this test someone did thus far:

Yeah, that's the thing, I wouldn't pay anything for shipping outside of Japan.  I'd have the kits shipped to the in-laws in Japan and I'd bring home a batch once or twice a year, like with Azuchi castle.

Maybe I should do this, lol!

Could wait until it's finished, wait for a sale, then buy the whole set at once, paying just one shipping cost.  (this usually becomes possible, for US/UK-based ones at least--not sure if Japan-only ones ever end up this way).  

From what I can tell, generally:

Japan will do a volume every week.  UK will often do every other week, US will do monthly.  Thus, they'll group them differently---the UK/US will get 2x-4x as many parts at once, per shipment.