The Armory... AKA the modeler's tool thread.

Rock

I think you guys might all agree that it is always exciting finding a new tool that makes Macross modeling just a little bit more enjoyable, a little safer and a lot better looking. I hope you guys all will chime in on on your favorite tools of the trade, any cool finds, home-made tools and neat do-it-yourself or quality of life improvements that make building that much better.

Any tool that might sit on one's workbench during the modeling process is game for discussion.  Cutters, airbrushes, files, paint skewers, sandpapers even organizational containers, workbench setups/layouts, and ect...

To start off with my most recent addition to the team this year is an ultra sonic cutter that uses no.11 hobby blades.

This thing slices through plastic as well as a hot-knife without melting away material and stinking up the room. They are kind of pricey but, if you do a lot of kit-bashing, pla-plate work, scratch-building or solid resin builds then it will pay off itself in the first few projects. I do not miss spending 5min of cutting with a fine jeweler's saw or useing a dremel tool for a big, dusty mess and a lot of missing material.

Here is the video that sold me on the tool: Super little effort to cut resin molding gates off. 

My only complaint right now is that mine feels cheaply made and way over priced. The price I'm sure is because they are fairly niche but, an ultrasonic cleaner and toothbrush are 300 USD cheaper.... just saying/  If your interest in getting one do pay mind to the specs, most are set up for Japan's 100W power supply and will need a converter to work in the west.

Upcoming hobby dust vac system from japanese company GUNPRIMER, The VOID.

Edited by Rock

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing! I've seen this at Micromark: https://www.micromark.com/Wondercutter

For only $399.95 its a steel!:shok: I thought of getting one, but its that or making my mill work better. Since most things are made on my mill...

My recommended tool: https://www.micromark.com/5400-Deluxe-Mill-Package

My mill has another base, but the vertical and motor are the same (from my lathe).- MT

• 2 months later...

These are the tools I work with:

100_0727.thumb.JPG.5e9d2b1432bee892fcf75e3363cc0cd9.JPG

100_0728.thumb.JPG.795381c2958dfd1ba31defcec9dd4835.JPG

Admittedly, they aren't much, but they're what I have. (aside from a Dremel tool with 4-5 bits total).

From left to right: Pin Vice, Triangle Needle File, Flat Needle File (what's left of it), Xacto Knife, Hacksaw Blade, Burnishing Tool (Xacto), palm Phillips Screwdriver, Flat/Phillips Dual-Ended Screwdriver (Red Handle), Polycarbonate Cutting Shears, Sewing Scissors (broken at tip and reground), Large Needlenose pliers, Small Needlenose Pliers/ Wire Cutters.

And I use them to build stuff like this:

100_0538.thumb.JPG.c9c2e8d2f7dab3b655c642202b1670b6.JPG

Edited by pengbuzz