Still need to see the second half of 2202, but I'm up for it.

ALSO!

I am officially apologizing posthumously to Nishizaki for Yamato Rebirth. I honestly thought he was insane for having the bad guy be the Space American President who was actually The Space Devil who bullied The Space U.N. into the genocide of The Space Middle East.

As it turns out, he was just years ahead of his time.

2202 wasn't as good as 2199. The visuals were amazing though. Really hoping 2205 is at least equal to the first season.

At the moment, I'm just hoping a new season will uncork Bandai's Space Battleship Yamato model line. And I mean 1/1000 and 1/72, not the tiny mechacolle stuff.

Edited by Thom

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-02-03/space-battleship-yamato-2205-anime-debuts-next-winter/.156069?fbclid=IwAR07ctyu5IrfQUZQrNTz4o8MSv-wOs6a_cQ8bqhvyhZIt3jM4EST7PEFQxk

found this on my FB feed this morning. I'll admit... I didn't fully understand the verbiage (I guess the use of the word 'Project' seems to be the cause). But a comment struck me as curious (clearly the poster knows some of the guts that created 2199 & 2202): "Is Yutaka Izubuchi (出淵裕) back in charge? Otherwise no much hope".

Edited by TehPW
clarification

Yutaka Izubushi is not coming back for 2205. The general director for the project has already been announced.

As for keeping Fukui as the writer... my main problem is that he does go for grand story telling and spectacle but stuff happens and he doesn't necessarily let you know how and he uses characters to move the plot along without concern for focusing in them. 2199 was character driven, while 2202 was plot driven. As Gwyn Campbel pointed in his podcast "the characters were just mouthpieces for the plot", pawns in a game only Fukui is envisioning. And admitedly, the mecha action was a bit too bloated. Hopefully 2205 will dial that down.

• 4 months later...
39 minutes ago, Kyp Durron said:

I guess I'm in the minority for liking 2202, huh? :mellow:

Despite some flaws, I liked most of it. I think its an entertaining adventure and certainly an exciting exercise in terms of eye candy. But some elements and Fukui's afore mentioned writing style did put it a few notches below 2199, IMHO. Some people, however, have taken a more radical stance and a lot of hate seems to percolate among some of the fandom.

LOL.

I am curious, what will the 2205 Yamato look like? Will it still be in final battle configuration from 2202? One thing that I did not like was the AA guns on the main shock cannons themselves. I could immediately see issues with that, and an online review of the 1/1000 bandai kit proved me right. If you try doing a broad side, and you turn those turrets, the gun barrels will clip the AA turrets.

Very bad design choice, IMO. Even Bandai seemed to be aware of it as they give you an option to build the pre-final battle shock cannons, LOL. I'm guessing this is part of the reason Bandai didn't release an SOC final battle version.

I'm hoping the 2205 Yamato will atleast delete those AA guns off the shock cannons. 

Speaking of SOC, I wonder why Bandai didn't release a 2202 Andromeda? Seems like that would have sold really well.

Edited by Kyp Durron

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

The EDF has always had some problems with ship layout and arc of fire.  The main guns can't fire straight forward on the Andromeda (or Yamato) for instance.

You're right for the most part, I'm not sure about Yamato's second main shock cannone, but Yamato's smaller 3rd shock cannon behind it can fire straight forward and will clear the top of Yamato's bow. The second main shock cannon is too close for me to be able to tell, and I've got the GX-86 right here in front of me. 

*Edit* after looking at it carefully, I think the second main shock cannons can clear Yamato's front bow, but just barely. 

Edited by Kyp Durron

12 hours ago, Kyp Durron said:

Found these on Facebook from Google searching Space Battleship Yamato 2205 mecha :

101885081_2551652088268831_7708245726744

101964648_2551652221602151_2773768615097

Not sure how legit they are though...

I think those have been kicking around for a few years.

I really hope to see more of the Aquarius and that other big Andromeda variant.

On 6/25/2020 at 11:08 AM, Kyp Durron said:

LOL.

I am curious, what will the 2205 Yamato look like? Will it still be in final battle configuration from 2202? One thing that I did not like was the AA guns on the main shock cannons themselves. I could immediately see issues with that, and an online review of the 1/1000 bandai kit proved me right. If you try doing a broad side, and you turn those turrets, the gun barrels will clip the AA turrets.

Very bad design choice, IMO. Even Bandai seemed to be aware of it as they give you an option to build the pre-final battle shock cannons, LOL. I'm guessing this is part of the reason Bandai didn't release an SOC final battle version.

I'm hoping the 2205 Yamato will atleast delete those AA guns off the shock cannons. 

Speaking of SOC, I wonder why Bandai didn't release a 2202 Andromeda? Seems like that would have sold really well.

Yamato was back to its standard configuration, after it was repaired in the time fault and sent to retrieve Kodai and Yuki from Teresa's dimension.

As for those sketches, they were made for the PS2 game adaptations of the Dark Nebula arc. The artist who made them is well known among Macross fans but his name illudes me at the moment.

Edited by westfall

3 hours ago, westfall said:

Yamato was back to its standard configuration, after it was repaired in the time fault and sent to retrieve Kodai and Yuki from Teresa's dimension.

As for those sketches, they were made for the PS2 game adaptations of the Dark Nebula arc. The artist who made them is well known among Macross fans but his name illudes me at the moment.

...You're absolutely right, I had forgotten that Yamato was restored to it's original configuration. D'Oh!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2020 at 1:20 PM, westfall said:

As for those sketches, they were made for the PS2 game adaptations of the Dark Nebula arc. The artist who made them is well known among Macross fans but his name [eludes] me at the moment.

The name's Kazutaka MIYATAKE (Wikipedia, ANN, forbes.com) -- b. 1949, a founding member of Studio Nue, designer of the Macross. Designs from this series are regularly posted by Yamato superfan Tim Eldred to the "Our Star Blazers.com/Cosmo DNA" Facebook community page.

The PS2 games are detailed on the Cosmo DNA fansite. Not a lot of images of the ships, though, if you wanted to compare Miyatake's busy designs to the limitations of low-poly tex-mapped models. 

On 6/23/2020 at 11:30 AM, Kyp Durron said:

I guess I'm in the minority for liking 2202, huh? :mellow:

I won't say that I hate it, but my enthusiasm for 2202 literally stalled the same moment the Yamato did when whatshisface sabotaged the wave motion engine.  And that same enthusiasm literally drifted towards oblivion like the ship did, lol...

36 minutes ago, Kyp Durron said:

Indeed it is! I wonder if there will be any further design refits for Yamato, and if so, what outside changes (If any) there will be.

All I know is that they need to come out with another SOC Andromeda.  I mean, c'mon!  Do you have the original GX 57, or whatever it was?  I missed out on that one...

1 hour ago, myk said:

All I know is that they need to come out with another SOC Andromeda.  I mean, c'mon!  Do you have the original GX 57, or whatever it was?  I missed out on that one...

I had it, but sold it later, to be honest, the proportions were kinda off and it really bugged me. You're right though, there really needs to be a SOC Andromeda from the reboot series, I just can't understand why they didn't do it...:huh:

3 hours ago, Kyp Durron said:

I had it, but sold it later, to be honest, the proportions were kinda off and it really bugged me. You're right though, there really needs to be a SOC Andromeda from the reboot series, I just can't understand why they didn't do it...:huh:

I had no idea the GX57 had any issues!  That's good to know!

11 minutes ago, myk said:

I had no idea the GX57 had any issues!  That's good to know!

No, sorry, I goofed, I thought you were referring to the Andromeda which was GX-58, lol. I did get rid of my GX-57 Yamato as well, but only because the 2199 version was so much better.