Great Mazinger - What Is The Benchmark Toy To Have?

sqidd

I had some of these guys when I was a kid and loved them. I still love the look/presence.

First and foremost I'm all about bigger is better (all else being equal). What is the one toy to have (I will only get one) of this dude? The Bandia Metal Build looks fantastic. But at only 8" tall it leaves a little to be desired for me. But, all of the larger stuff I see isn't doing it for me aesthetically (well, not as good as the metal build). Any suggestions?.

Thanks!

Edited by sqidd

Well, there is the Great Mazinger DX-02 from Bandai that is very tall and has a lot of details and various gimmiks. Not a big fan of the proportions though. If i were you i would also take a look at the new Soul of chogokin coming up, the D.C. anime color version. Probably the closest thing to the original series that you can find. I think the release date is september. Not a big fan of the metal build from the Infinity movie. Maybe because the movie was so bad that i would never buy a toy that comes from it. Otherwise i think that the GX-02R is still a great toy.

27 minutes ago, Ryoma said:

Well, there is the Great Mazinger DX-02 from Bandai that is very tall and has a lot of details and various gimmiks. Not a big fan of the proportions though. If i were you i would also take a look at the new Soul of chogokin coming up, the D.C. anime color version. Probably the closest thing to the original series that you can find. I think the release date is september. Not a big fan of the metal build from the Infinity movie. Maybe because the movie was so bad that i would never buy a toy that comes from it. Otherwise i think that the GX-02R is still a great toy.

Isn't it strange how something like the movie being bad can turn you off of something that is in theory purely aesthetic? I get it, I'm the same way about things. We humans are weird.:p

I'm guessing this is the Soul of chogokin D.C. anime color version you were referring to?

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/93803

bbb01a9c-49d0-4720-869c-d4cfcc3489f6.jpg

Yes it is! Clearly i don't have it since it hasn't been released yet but from the pictures it looks really nice and very accurate to the original design. 

And no, to me it's not weird at all that the quality of a movie or a series reflects on my judgment about the other merchandise. I always bought only the toys which i felt a true connection to the series they were based upon. I am not saying the quality of the series or the movie just my connection to it. How much i liked it. For example my  cabinets are full of toys from Macross zero ( a masterpiece in my opinion) but only have two VF from Macross delta(which i think was garbage) although the mecha design of the show was great. In other words if i didn't enjoy the series the toy to me is just a piece of plastic(or metal).

Second i think that us, as consumer, the only thing we can do is to choose what to buy therefore what show or what kind of show we want to go on. I know it's a very idealistic concept but to me it's like the right to vote.  

I like the Super Robot Chogokin Kurogane Finish version. It is tiny and super fun to play with. ;)

If bigger is better for you I would go with the Soul of Chogokin DX one that comes with a hanger and the cast off parts that reveal the inner robot.

It seems to be more of a display piece though.

Josh from CollectionDX did a review of him a few years back:

Edited by Scyla