Top Five Pre-Order Sources?

sqidd

Now that I'm getting back into this hobby I need to learn the new lay of the land. One big part of that is the whole pre-order hoop jumping. I'm still not sure when/how I find out when they';re happening, but that's not the question for today.

Today's question is:

What are the top five best sources/"Toy Stores" to secure a pre-order from once they go live? In order from best to worst. I'd like to have them "In my arsenal" and ready to go for when pre-orders happen.

Thanks guys!

Nowadays. I look towards Amazon JP, AmiAmi, Hobby Link Japan, and Nippon-Yasan. 

I know that is only 4, but those are the only places I have ever pre-ordered from, so I do not have a 5th to add as of yet.

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

12 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Nowadays. I look towards Amazon JP, AmiAmi, Hobby Link Japan, and Nippon-Yasan. 

I know that is only 4, but those are the only places I have ever pre-ordered from, so I do not have a 5th to add as of yet.

Appreciated!:hail:

#1 Nippon Yasan - Lowest prices as long as you can get the initial preorder in. One of the only shops that offer Tamashii Web Exclusives. They also have discount rewards program but usually only good for 3-5% off. They are one of the only shops that offer ferry shipping which takes long but is way cheaper for large/heavy or combined orders. You can split or combine any unpaid orders at anytime. Be sure to check prices because if they changed, you get the later (usually higher price) and lose any discounts used.

#2 Amazon Japan - Prices are generally around the same as NY or a bit higher but shipping is flat 1200 Y + 800 Y per additional item for extremely fast DHL. Drawback is they ship in nearly paper thin boxes and not all items ship out of Japan.

#3 CDJapan - If I can't get from one of the first two choices, CDJ has been reliable and also has a rewards system that make shopping there cheaper generally cheaper than any other option below. You can combine orders that are in stock around the same time.

#4 amiami - Prices here are higher for the item and shipping but they have one of the best customer services along with HLJ and CDJ. They also have a rewards point system. They allow combining orders that ship the same month.

#5 HLJ - They used to be a top 3 shop to me but after their website updates and price changes, they have bemome one of the most expensive and worst sites I've used. They have a Private Warehouse system that allows you to store orders there for up to 60 days to combine shipping.

#6 Anime Export - Slightly higher prices than NY and they also offer Tamashii Web Exclusives. They have an indefinite private warehouse system. Main drawback is everything is pay immediately so you are in essense always giving them a free loan on whatever you order from them. If it was something I have to pay up front anyway, I would rate them in the top 3 but usually get things cheaper from NY so no reason to shop here for the most part.

#7 Hobby Search (1999) - I usually never have a reason to shop here since preorders are so far impossible to get for me.

#8 Mykombini - Last choice if I need something I absolutely can't get anywhere else. I'd usually rather wait until an item is released and just buy 2nd hand from Mandarake before I use any of the shops not in the top 3.

I'll also mention Proxy Services for Japan Only exclusives. So far, I've only used From Japan and their service seems good but I haven't received my order yet to completely evaluate. I think I end up paying less at NY and will likely just keep shopping there when I can.

16 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

#1 Nippon Yasan - Lowest prices as long as you can get the initial preorder in. One of the only shops that offer Tamashii Web Exclusives. They also have discount rewards program but usually only good for 3-5% off. They are one of the only shops that offer ferry shipping which takes long but is way cheaper for large/heavy or combined orders. You can split or combine any unpaid orders at anytime. Be sure to check prices because if they changed, you get the later (usually higher price) and lose any discounts used.

#2 Amazon Japan - Prices are generally around the same as NY or a bit higher but shipping is flat 1200 Y + 800 Y per additional item for extremely fast DHL. Drawback is they ship in nearly paper thin boxes and not all items ship out of Japan.

#3 CDJapan - If I can't get from one of the first two choices, CDJ has been reliable and also has a rewards system that make shopping there cheaper generally cheaper than any other option below. You can combine orders that are in stock around the same time.

#4 amiami - Prices here are higher for the item and shipping but they have one of the best customer services along with HLJ and CDJ. They also have a rewards point system. They allow combining orders that ship the same month.

#5 HLJ - They used to be a top 3 shop to me but after their website updates and price changes, they have bemome one of the most expensive and worst sites I've used. They have a Private Warehouse system that allows you to store orders there for up to 60 days to combine shipping.

#6 Anime Export - Slightly higher prices than NY and they also offer Tamashii Web Exclusives. They have an indefinite private warehouse system. Main drawback is everything is pay immediately so you are in essense always giving them a free loan on whatever you order from them. If it was something I have to pay up front anyway, I would rate them in the top 3 but usually get things cheaper from NY so no reason to shop here for the most part.

#7 Hobby Search (1999) - I usually never have a reason to shop here since preorders are so far impossible to get for me.

#8 Mykombini - Last choice if I need something I absolutely can't get anywhere else. I'd usually rather wait until an item is released and just buy 2nd hand from Mandarake before I use any of the shops not in the top 3.

I'll also mention Proxy Services for Japan Only exclusives. So far, I've only used From Japan and their service seems good but I haven't received my order yet to completely evaluate. I think I end up paying less at NY and will likely just keep shopping there when I can.

Thank you very much!

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

I'm going to have to Caveat these answers.

For Web Exclusive stuff people are going back to proxy shipping sites like FromJapan.  There was a large collection of online shops that used to provide that service but Bandai seems to have changed their policies in 2018 and places like CDJapan and others have dropped carrying them except for Nippon-Yasan and they aren't even always reliable anymore.

NY takes FOREVER to actually ship.  For instance, I ordered three web exclusive items all of which were available as of the 23rd of August.  I'm still waiting for them to ship now on the 31st.  Other people who ordered from Amazon, Anime-Export, etc... have the same items already.  Also If you aren't interested in ferry shipping they massively over-charge on any of their other shipping costs.  For instance an item at HLJ will be 2000 yen more but shipping from them via FedEx will end up being cheaper than shipping from NY via UPS.  Also they have a strange queue system that randomly gets implemented on pre-order nights.  It doesn't really work that well when you're trying to pre-order something and it works even worse when you're forced into a queue and you aren't even interested in purchasing something new on pre-order night.  All web-exclusives are pay up front too.  Their customer service is only marginally better than Amiami.  Also, don't forget to pay for your pre-orders.  Especially if you're new.  They will cut you off fast.  I can get away with forgetting a pre-order here and there because I've bought so much crap from them over the years.  Some of the newer guys have had a pre-order slip their mind and NY has cancelled all of their orders and banned them.

CDJapan is pretty good, although they were better when they had web exclusive items.  I still use them quite regularly.  Their points system is really useful.  They don't offer other means of shipping like FedEx or UPS (I deplore the New Mexico USPS and will ship via anything else if I can.)  So if the Postal Service in your area is as terrible as mine it's important to note what they will and won't ship by.  Actually, they DO ship via FedEx for Books and Media, just not toys.  I've begged them again and again to change this policy.  Finding items on pre-order night can be difficult/frustrating too.

Amiami I'm biased against because I got banned after complaining my Arcadia YF-19 arrived with a snapped off wing and all they would offer me was $7 store credit.  Seven. Dollars.  If you push it they'll ban you from the store and delete all of your pre-orders.

HLJ redesigned their store and it makes it way harder (almost impossible) to find items on pre-order night.  You're still about 70% likely to be able to purchase whatever is in your shopping cart unlike most other online shops where you're guaranteed to be "cart-jacked" at check out.  Their prices are slightly higher, their faster shipping options (FedEx, DHL) are cheaper except for Amazon.  They take a few days to get around to shipping but nothing as ludicrous as Nippon-Yasan.  Their customer service used to be pristine but recently they seem to have hired somebody from Amiami to handle that otherwise I'd say it was the best of all of them.

1 hour ago, Mommar said:

For Web Exclusive stuff people are going back to proxy shipping sites like FromJapan.  There was a large collection of online shops that used to provide that service but Bandai seems to have changed their policies in 2018 and places like CDJapan and others have dropped carrying them except for Nippon-Yasan and they aren't even always reliable anymore.

NY takes FOREVER to actually ship.  For instance, I ordered three web exclusive items all of which were available as of the 23rd of August.  I'm still waiting for them to ship now on the 31st.  Other people who ordered from Amazon, Anime-Export, etc... have the same items already.  Also If you aren't interested in ferry shipping they massively over-charge on any of their other shipping costs.  For instance an item at HLJ will be 2000 yen more but shipping from them via FedEx will end up being cheaper than shipping from NY via UPS.  Also they have a strange queue system that randomly gets implemented on pre-order nights.  It doesn't really work that well when you're trying to pre-order something and it works even worse when you're forced into a queue and you aren't even interested in purchasing something new on pre-order night.  All web-exclusives are pay up front too.  Their customer service is only marginally better than Amiami.  Also, don't forget to pay for your pre-orders.  Especially if you're new.  They will cut you off fast.  I can get away with forgetting a pre-order here and there because I've bought so much crap from them over the years.  Some of the newer guys have had a pre-order slip their mind and NY has cancelled all of their orders and banned them.

CDJapan is pretty good, although they were better when they had web exclusive items.  I still use them quite regularly.  Their points system is really useful.  They don't offer other means of shipping like FedEx or UPS (I deplore the New Mexico USPS and will ship via anything else if I can.)  So if the Postal Service in your area is as terrible as mine it's important to note what they will and won't ship by.  Actually, they DO ship via FedEx for Books and Media, just not toys.  I've begged them again and again to change this policy.  Finding items on pre-order night can be difficult/frustrating too.

Amiami I'm biased against because I got banned after complaining my Arcadia YF-19 arrived with a snapped off wing and all they would offer me was $7 store credit.  Seven. Dollars.  If you push it they'll ban you from the store and delete all of your pre-orders.

HLJ redesigned their store and it makes it way harder (almost impossible) to find items on pre-order night.  You're still about 70% likely to be able to purchase whatever is in your shopping cart unlike most other online shops where you're guaranteed to be "cart-jacked" at check out.  Their prices are slightly higher, their faster shipping options (FedEx, DHL) are cheaper except for Amazon.  They take a few days to get around to shipping but nothing as ludicrous as Nippon-Yasan.  Their customer service used to be pristine but recently they seem to have hired somebody from Amiami to handle that otherwise I'd say it was the best of all of them.

Excellent stuff, thank you.

4 hours ago, Mommar said:

I would retort that NY also often ships before anyone else but it is true that they are usually the slowest. I think it is mostly on TWE items that at this point, AE is the only other source besides proxy services and NY is always cheaper than AE. Overall, I have no bias or loyalty to any shop. I only care about who gets me what I want for the lowest price and I can say that NY has saved me thousands of dollars. I really wouldn’t mind if more people stopped using them so I can get my preorders there easier. :D 

BTW, I’m surprised about the response you got from AmiAmi. The only time I had an issue with a figure I got from them, they replaced it at no cost to me. 

Personally I'm mainly using 3 websites at this point, other than for pre-order nights when it's wherever you can find one.

• CDJapan: For normal releases
  • Amazon Japan: for anything I can find there sold by Amazon. The ¥1200 DHL shipping more than makes up for the lack of pre-order discount
  • FromJapan: for anything I need to order via proxy

• 3 weeks later...