1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

I should have mentioned the movie cost us about $100

:shok:

5 hours ago, kajnrig said:

I don't remember TPM getting a particularly negative reaction right out the gate, but then again I was a dumb kid at the time too distracted by the twirly whirly laser swords to pay attention to the fandom's reaction.

I was already working full-time (and online whenever I wasn't), and I can tell you the dumb kids were the only ones reacting positively to The Phantom Menace. :p

I know the general consensus nowadays is that it's the weakest of the prequel trilogy, but I can't really fathom the reasons why

Jar Jar Binks. :angry:

I think the second movie is easily the weakest

That is the general consensus nowadays, yes. :vava:

I thought the fan reaction to TPM was pretty even to positive in the immediate aftermath of its release, whereas the reaction to Resurrections has been pretty solidly negative across the board

If anything, Resurrections hasn't disappointed fans nearly as much as Phantom Menace did... probably because Reloaded and Revolutions had already lowered expectations.  The trailers and posters didn't do much to help, either.  <_<

By comparison, Phantom Menace had a much larger and more effective marketing strategy, back when pandering to fan nostalgia was a relatively new phenomenon.  The film was a huge hit -- just as Reloaded was -- but most fans were equally dismayed. :unsure:

Personally, though, I thought The Matrix was a derivative, nonsensical mess, and I much prefer the complexity and sophisticated worldbuilding of the sequels.  I also prefer The Phantom Menace to any Star Wars film released since (with the exception of Rogue One, of course), so I'm often out of sync with the fandom writ large. :huh:

2 hours ago, tekering said:

By comparison, Phantom Menace had a much larger and more effective marketing strategy, back when pandering to fan nostalgia was a relatively new phenomenon.  The film was a huge hit -- just as Reloaded was -- but most fans were equally dismayed. :unsure:

Also, Phantom Menace was NEW STAR WARS OMG!

Lucasfilm and Fox weren't telling people to hit the theaters en masse just to watch the trailer. And they darn sure weren't telling Warner to advertise it in their ads for "competing" films("If you see one movie this summer... make it Star Wars. But if you see two movies, see Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me.").

You can't exaggerate how big a deal it was, because things that actually happened sound like wild hyperbole.

The hype was through the roof, and it was impossible for Phantom Menace to live up to it even if it had been good.

I don't think the demand was there for a new Matrix in the first place.

1 hour ago, JB0 said:

Also, Phantom Menace was NEW STAR WARS OMG!

Lucasfilm and Fox weren't telling people to hit the theaters en masse just to watch the trailer. And they darn sure weren't telling Warner to advertise it in their ads for "competing" films("If you see one movie this summer... make it Star Wars. But if you see two movies, see Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me.").

You can't exaggerate how big a deal it was, because things that actually happened sound like wild hyperbole.

The hype was through the roof, and it was impossible for Phantom Menace to live up to it even if it had been good.

I don't think the demand was there for a new Matrix in the first place.

No one was prepared to see bright eyed naive preteen Darth Vader caught up in an illegal trade federation embargo, and the fan outrage was palpable (pun intended). For my part, it honestly took me until Tartikovsky's Clone Wars along with Ep III to be won over by the prequels, which I now love along with the rest of the franchise.

But yeah, anyone who thinks this Ressurections fan hate is anything close to the Phantom Menace hate parade either wasn't there, or wasn't paying attention.

7 hours ago, Keith said:

For my part, it honestly took me until Tartikovsky's Clone Wars along with Ep III to be won over by the prequels, which I now love along with the rest of the franchise.

I liked the Clone Wars (both Tartikovsky's and the later CGI series, but not the CGI movie so much).  But what really gave me a newfound respect for the prequel trilogy was the Disney trilogy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Well, Just when I thought THE MATRIX franchise was dead... That being said, 25 years after the first I'm up for a new MATRIX film but it must be in new director's hands, which it is, so I have some hope for a new sequel.

‘Matrix 5’ in the Works With Drew Goddard as Director, Lana Wachowski as Executive Producer

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/matrix-5-lana-wachowski-executive-producing-1235959174/

I'd be interested to see where they go with it. They did The One and revolutions, so I think it would need to be something different. Staying true to what made it a success is good, bu they could just end up retreading. I was fine with it ending with 4. Heck, I was fine with it ending with 1.

Edited by Thom