Sunlight effect

Foblander

How bad is it to display Macross toys in a room where the blinds are fully closed, but the room is still being lit up by sunlight passing through? I've heard of some people's toys yellowing even after they've store them in their boxes. Is this just something that happens to all plastics over time and we should just enjoy them while they are white and minty? Lol

10 hours ago, Foblander said:

How bad is it to display Macross toys in a room where the blinds are fully closed, but the room is still being lit up by sunlight passing through? I've heard of some people's toys yellowing even after they've store them in their boxes. Is this just something that happens to all plastics over time and we should just enjoy them while they are white and minty? Lol

it seems to be a thing that just happens over time.

white model paint also yellows over time.

We have a lively and long-running discussion on the subject.

for me: all of my yammies are exposed to indirect [and sometimes direct] sunlight every day, a couple for 3+ years and they're fine, so far. All have been purchased 'used and displayed' by their previous owners, from various members here and elsewhere, none are yellowing on me.

[I only have 1 DX valk [VF-31C] and it's simply not old enough to be factored into the discussion as evidence.]

Everyone's mileage seems to vary, so zoom them around the room/play with them regularly while they're pristine, and that way you won't notice the gradual shift as much [this is my plan btw :D]

Edited by slide

I had my 1/48 Yamato VF-1S Hikaru in my Detolf display cabinet in my dining room.  It wasn't exposed to direct sunlight, but there was light coming in from the bay window.  I would keep the blinds down almost all the time.  Over the course of many years the nose area started to yellow a bit.  Best to play it safe and minimize any UV light hitting it.  I never display my most prized valks in the Detolf anymore.  It's one reason why I like the Hi-Metal R line.  They're cheap enough that I don't mind displaying them.  Plus they are not bright white like the old Yamato valks, so they should be somewhat resistant to yellowing.

Hmm I might look into uv film for the window since my small apartment offers nowhere without exposure to some sunlight. I love my Macross toys, but not at the expense of having to box them up and not being able to see them everyday. I barely play with them so not being able to see them easily will really make me question why I continue to purchase them. Lol. 

12 hours ago, Foblander said:

I've heard of some people's toys yellowing even after they've store them in their boxes.

This means nothing anyway.  Plastic outgases so keeping a thing in the box almost guarantees yellowing more than not.

There are some people that believe that heat is the major contributor to yellowing plastic.  From basic chemistry classes, heat does accelerate several chemical reactions.  In the case of my HCM VF-1J, I believe that to be the major source of it's yellowing.  I kept it in the closet and the closet got hot in the afternoon.  :(

Yeah I had a old jetfire in box that sat in a closet. It yellowed to all hell. Only thing I could think is it got warmer in that room as I kept the door shut and vents closed. 

My original shuttle tydirium yellowed in there as well

Edited by ErikElvis