What is your Favorite Anime and Manga?

The only Managa I have read are parts of Vampire Hunter D and Akira.  Of those I liked Akira the most.  The art style was more of what I like.  D's artwork was very busy, intricate might be a more appropriate word but I don't like it myself.

Anime - Valley of the Wind.  Still stunning after all these years.

There’s a lot of good stuff out there!

But for me , it’s probably still DYRL and M+ . In that order. 

Manga wise, Biomega by Tsutomu  Nihei

His Blame is up there for me also, and is what got me started with his work. 

Both Alira the Manga and Anime are an honorable mention.:hi:

I watched Battle of the Planets and Speed Racer as a very young kid, and later, Transformers, which one could say was anime as well. BotP made a lasting impression on me- planted the seed, so to speak. It and Transformers still have a special place in my heart. However, Macross Plus was really my doorway into Macross (never saw RT as a kid), and into anime on the whole, and the anime I'd consider the most poignant to me as a fan. As much as I enjoy reading, for some reason, I never got into comic books or manga, although I greatly appreciate the talent behind both.

There's so much anime out there, and I've barely scratched the surface, especially with classics like Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, GitS: SAC, SDFM, Akira, Bubblegum Crisis, Gundam, Monster, Assassination Classroom, Attack on Titan, etc.  it makes picking a favorite increasingly difficult. The Japanese are great storytellers, especially in the realm of sci-fi, and so I'm just glad there's this amazing medium that panders to my love of the genre. 

As epic as it is, Akira is hard to beat as a manga for me. I still re-ead it every couple of years.  Appleseed is an honorable mention.

As far anime goes, there are just too many favorites for me. Off the top of my head, there's Kimagure Orange Road, Zillion, and pretty much anything Artmic got involved with.

9 hours ago, ErikElvis said:

As far as anime goes it’s hard to pick just one.

Not if you've seen Otaku no Video...

797682868_otakunovideotitlescreen.jpeg.8632c28675b8309544a83bcdc14467f3.jpeg

Then the choice is an easy one.  :p

2136468088_Tanakasapartment.jpeg.efd713a276f291cf367ed91b72693519.jpeg

3 hours ago, Beltane70 said:

I’m still quite a bit old school! 

As most of us are, I'm sure.  ^_^

Bebop and Champloo are definitely up there. I’ve got the Champloo soundtrack shuffled into my daily mix. 

For that matter, Princess Mononoke, Laputa, Ponyo, Nausica, Castle of Cagliostro are worth mentioning.

Iv’e tried a few of the newer anime’s and I can go like 15-20 min before it loses me. Having said that , I did enjoy The animated Godzilla movies (even though I agree, Mecha Godzilla is NOT a city!) , Ultraman and Blame (you either like Polygon or hate their style). Also enjoyed Castlevania and Love ,Death,Robots, though those are arguably not anime..

Bit of an old skool fan here - honestly, I have no idea whats really popular with you kids these days, though I do catch the odd modern thing (like "Attack on Titan"). So my choices might get you asking "What did you do during the Dub/Sub Wars, Grandad?"... ;)

"Project A-Ko" - set a standard for quality production that like most anime fans, I later learned might not always be the case (released in the UK by Manga Video. At about the same time they also released "Ultimate Teacher"). Almost infinitely rewatchable.

"Bubblegum Crisis" - has there ever been a better opening anime sequence than "Konya wa Hurricane"?

"Patlabor" - possibly the most quietly subversive deconstruction of the mecha genre and other anime tropes ever. It says something about this show that when it eventually gets around to doing a "hot springs" episode, it features the male castmembers. 

"Kikis Delivery Service" - a masterpiece. 'nuff said.

"Urusei Yatsura" - one of the shows that got me into anime in the first place, and as a bonus indirectly changed my life. Also, created the "harem" genre of anime, largely because everyone that came after missed the point.

"Gurren Lagann" - see, I can be down with you younglings too! The mecha show that gradually turns everything up to "11", and then KEEPS FINDING BIGGER DIALS.

"Science Ninja Team Gatchaman" - which in "Battle of the Planets" form taught me that some "cartoons" were just different. Zoltar might be... gasp - a GIRL?!! Also features Galactor, the Evil Anime Oganisations Evil Anime Organisation.

"Turn-A Gundam" - oh, how we laughed. A 'tache! Tominos given a Gundam a 'TACHE! Hes really lost it! And how wrong we were. Possibly the last great work of mecha genius from the man who, for a large part of the 70s and 80s, was mecha,

Edited by F-ZeroOne

I’ll always have a soft spot for Macross (SDF, +, Zero, and Frontier) and Mospeada for obvious reasons, but the one anime that still sticks out for me is Black Lagoon.

Over the top violence, mixed in with silly humor, with a few references to historical facts (both well-known and obscure), and a dark/disturbing undertone that spills out every now and then.

It’s an insane world, filled with memorable characters and too many scenes that will make you shake your head at the brokenness of the world or will make you laugh your butt off at what you’re watching.

I stand with Rock in the twilight, middle finger in the air, trying not to get swallowed up by the darkness.

"Gurren Lagann" - see, I can be down with you younglings too! The mecha show that gradually turns everything up to "11", and then KEEPS FINDING BIGGER DIALS.

Not my top anime but darn close.  You gotta hand it to a show that starts with a kid digging tunnels with a teeny weeny corkscrew thing managing to end where it did and doing so with style.

Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Yu Yu Hakusho, Blue Gender, Guyver, Gundam 08th MS, G Gundam, All GITS, all Macross, MOSPEADA, Gaogaigar, Dragon Ball Super and Z, High school of the Dead, Gundam Wing, Unicoron, IBO, Attack on Titan, Space Dandy, Yamato 2199

Edited by blackconvoy_D01

If I had to choose just one favorite anime, it would probably be Aim for the Top! Gunbuster. I've watched this anime countless times yet it draws me in everytime and gives me "all the feels".  Not to mention the beautiful animation, fantastic action scenes, wonderful music, Mikimoto at his prime, and one of my favorite voice actress, Hidaka Noriko, as the main heroine.

Other top anime favorites include Macross: DYRL, Nausicaa, Porco Rosso, the original Area 88 OAVs, and the 0079 Gundam movies.

As for manga, my all-time favorite is Hojo Tsukasa's City Hunter. Other favorites include Adachi Mitsuru's Touch and Miyuki, Takahashi Rumiko's Maison Ikkoku and Urusei Yatsura

Admittedly, all of my choices are old school titles from the 20th century. It's not that I don't like the modern titles from the 21st century. It's just that over the years, my tastes have somewhat changed and so it's easier to  list the old school favorites (because those are the ones that stood the test of time the longest).

Of the 21st century anime titles, I'd say Noir, Girls & Panzer, Yurucamp, and SSSS Gridman are up there. For 21st Century manga titles, favorites currently include Namori's Yuruyuri, Tanigawa Niko's Watamote, Takatsu Karino's Working! , Yanagida Fumita's Tomo-chan is a Girl!, and Mountain Pukuichi's Tamayomi.