Tage

1/60 VF-11 Armour - 3D Print

Hey guys, long time no see!

So been in hibernation a bit, fixing up the house etc. etc. BUT! Been slowly working away on this project. And like with the VF-5000, hoping to post my progress up here every week or so, just to give myself mini/constant goals until it's done. 

Here's my progress so far. Still in the first stage of making the basic shapes of things, and once i'm happy i'll add in all the panel lines and details.  Main issues i see coming up is basically making everything fit the Yamato 1/60 VF-11 itself and locking everything in. Also i think finding the right balance of making it look close to the anime in Macross 7 while facing the hard reality of the dimensions of the toy itself will be a challenge, i do want him to look chuncky though. For reference on how big the gun is going to be, it's gonna be around 235mm long! I may have to make a little tripod or something as the VF-11's arms aren't doing to be able to aim that sucker at anything! 

Anyway, as you can see, next thing to do is the chest piece, and then the legs. Which i've really been loathing and not looking forward to do the legs, as they are the most complicated piece to make out of this whole thing. 

Cheers! Chat soon.

P.S. Sorry to the Americans who spell it 'Armor' ;-)

VF-11_Arms.jpg

VF-11_Back_01.jpg

VF-11_Back.jpg

VF-11_Chest.jpg

VF-11_Gun_01.jpg

VF-11_Gun_02.jpg

VF-11_Shoulder_01.jpg

VF-11_Shoulder_02.jpg

VF-11_Shoulder_03.jpg

VF-11_Shoulder_04.jpg

You should always apologize for overuse of the letter u.

Very impressive!!

When it’s ready for order please let me know. I would love to own one of these.

Looking sweet so far.

Sweet merciful crap!

Following. Looks great so far!

I'll purchase one if it is made.

Hey!

Thanks dudes, so glad you like things so far! I've decided to continue my progress but using a different piece of software called Blender now, for a few reasons. Mainly, it's a lot more stable and easier for doing way more complex shapes. SketchUp isn't great for curves or filling mistakes in. On the VF-5000, honestly most of the time was spent just fixing gaps or fixing bad geometry from certain merging tasks needed to create complex shapes. Where Blender looks like it's got a few more tricks up it's sleeve to make things in a little less of destructive way and more workable. So I'm doing a few tutorials to school up as it is a bit of a different beast, but taking quite a few learnings from SketchUp over too. Plus for future projects i have in mind, figured i should move up in software essentially. So honestly, anyone out there that does 3D stuff (i'm looking at you Xigfrid) have a look and see if it's worth your while. 

So hopefully i'll have a couple more new parts to show next week, but exporting things from Blender! Cheers, chat soon. 

Awesome. 

I tried to get into Blender several times, but lost too much hair over that most in-accessible interface. Maybe I'm just too old.

Good luck!

I've seen some great work done with Blender. Looking forward to seeing more..:good:

Hey guys, 

So attached where i'm at in blender now. Have done the chest missile plate today, which i think i still need to play with the scale and add the proper opening mechanism, but he's really starting to take form now. Next thing i'll do will be the leg part, which has quite a few complex curves so may take me a while. Then after that it's refine, refine, refine. Software wise, finding while some things are easier in Blender, some things are easier in Sketch, so figuring out the kinks that's for sure. The menu's and submenus are a bit of a maze trying to learn it. Anyway, more next week!

Blend_01.jpg

Blend_02.jpg