Netflix Series : Another Life

Haven't watched it yet, hopefully this weekend. I try not to look at reviews but critics are not being very kind to this one. 

Then again I know people who don't like BSG 2003-09, so to each their own. 

3 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Anyone tried this yet?  Trailer looks kinda interesting. 

Yeah, I finished my long weekend marathon on Monday.

It was certainly interesting. I'm not sure if I can say it was good--perhaps more of a middling sci-fi series. It does start off with a strong hook. The issue I had with the show was that it couldn't maintain its focus or its energy. I think some of that has to do with the fact that there are two competing plot lines which are squished together. These two plots could have probably been embellished some to create two seasons from the start and give us more characterization. For me, there was also a couple very obvious scenes that obliterated my suspension of disbelief. Of course, this may all be a your mileage may vary thing.

I think I'm about half way through it. 

It feels long and drawn out with a "spaceship crisis of the week" in each episode while muddling along with some sort of plot about aliens and a probe that landed on earth. Meanwhile exploiting seemingly every Star Trek trope.  At the point I'm at, I'm betting the writers haven't even figured out the backstory for the aliens yet.  Hell, they even used the Wrath-of-Khan-Spock-sacrifices-himself-to-save-the-ship situation.  They had already done alien-virus-puts-the-crew-in-jeopardy and ship-falling-into-the-sun.  We're getting very unoriginal material unfortunately.  It should have been a movie with a single plot.

Watch Prospect on Amazon Prime instead, better flick.

Edited by easnoddy

6 hours ago, easnoddy said:

I think I'm about half way through it. 

It feels long and drawn out with a "spaceship crisis of the week" in each episode while muddling along with some sort of plot about aliens and a probe that landed on earth. Meanwhile exploiting seemingly every Star Trek trope.  At the point I'm at, I'm betting the writers haven't even figured out the backstory for the aliens yet.  Hell, they even used the Wrath-of-Khan-Spock-sacrifices-himself-to-save-the-ship situation.  They had already done alien-virus-puts-the-crew-in-jeopardy and ship-falling-into-the-sun.  We're getting very unoriginal material unfortunately.  It should have been a movie with a single plot.  A rip off of Annihilation.

All good points with a fair summary that does well to avoid specific spoilers.

I agree that a hard edit would have gone a long way to improve things--better direction would have helped it too. I think the writers were trying to be clever with the aliens at first, but then got trapped by their reliance on the trope soup. The final act was a disappointment for me in this regard.

Edited by technoblue
fixing that train wreck of letters and symbols

I may get around to it. It seems like a lot of drama from the trailer. Why can’t a mission just have the crew actually stay focused and on task. And work as a unit? (Oh right, because it looks like a civilian gig? ) Well I haven’t seen it , so I don’t know . But that’s what it looks like..

4 hours ago, easnoddy said:

I hope everyone enjoys the trans/Hurley relationship. O_o

BSG and The Expanse are currently my top 2 favorite live-action sci-fi epics.

BSG for sure, I only watched season 1 of The Expanse but I really liked it, I seriously need to catch up on that one. B))

5 hours ago, easnoddy said:

I hope everyone enjoys the trans/Hurley relationship. O_o

BSG and The Expanse are currently my top 2 favorite live-action sci-fi epics.

Aw...The Zayne and Bernie romance was one of the few refreshing things that this show brought to the table. It felt more natural than that thing with the AI. 

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

I've heard good things about The Expanse...sounds like I should give that a try and not this series...:blink:

The Expanse is fantastic. I got into it without reading the books, but will probably get to both eventually.

Regardless, I'm very happy Amazon picked it up after SyFy dropped it.

It was okay. Spoilers from here...

Spoiler

The best part was, of course, Sackhoff. She brought some good game, as did Tyler Hoechlin, though why he turned homicidal so quickly is a mystery only answered by DRAMA. The rest, for the most part, felt like what the character Sasha referred to, as a sticky dorm room floor. None of these people felt like professionals, but instead like Space Camp rejects. Not having any uniforms hurt it too, as if felt more like a college get together.

There were a few times where I was close to turning it off, what with the number of stupid mistakes these 'professionals' were making. The ones they were waking up to help out felt more like the A-team they were needing.

The Zayne/Bernie romance I had no problem with. As stated above, it felt the most natural and not just something read from the script. What I did fast/forward over was the threesome...

It was looking up at the end, and if it gets a second season I may give it a shot. But that's if it doesn't devolve into a Pond-people-like story line. I was really liking the thought of them having to form an interstellar resistance though.

I did like the ship, although the FTL rings should been attached rather than magically floating there. Also, too many people standing at too many times. At least there were some seats for them to strap into, but that was too BSG.

Edited by Thom