Arcadia 1/60 VF-4A ‘Flashback 2012’ Premium Finish & Regular Release

no3Ljm

On 10/19/2019 at 3:36 PM, DewPoint said:

Just for the record...  Legit US Navy stuff turns pink after a few years in the sun...  Well they did for a long time...

That’s ironic.  Rumors say Arcadia used pinkish white material to prevent it from yellowing if exposed to UV from the sun.  Heheh.  :p  

But anyway, I still think this release (VF-4A) looks good on its own.

• 3 months later...

This went so long without any postings/updates, I legit thought I'd just DREAMED about it, and that maybe I was kinda mixing up the premium VF-0D, and the HiMetal 2012 VF-4...   I was thinking "wait, did I miss it, was the HiMetal all there was, and I should have bought it when I saw it come back in stock?  Dang it..."

2 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

This went so long without any postings/updates, I legit thought I'd just DREAMED about it, and that maybe I was kinda mixing up the premium VF-0D, and the HiMetal 2012 VF-4...   I was thinking "wait, did I miss it, was the HiMetal all there was, and I should have bought it when I saw it come back in stock?  Dang it..."

To be honest, I'm just glad that this wasn't even on preorder. More time to save for 'Premium Finish' price. ^_^

3 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Hmmm I wonder if the final product will be panel washed like that?

Is the upcoming VF-0D comes panel washed as well? Maybe this time they finally decided on making their Premium Finish ‘Premium’ by adding those panel line. It would be a shame if they decides to re-release the previous PF that came out with panel wash. :rolleyes:

26 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Is the upcoming VF-0D comes panel washed as well? Maybe this time they finally decided on making their Premium Finish ‘Premium’ by adding those panel line. It would be a shame if they decides to re-release the previous PF that came out with panel wash. :rolleyes:

The VF-0D is both panel lined and weathered.

It seems like Arcadia is trying to figure out exactly how premium their premium finish should be. Between just extra tampo like the VF-1 figures, or matte coating+paint like the SDF-1, or full-on weathering like the VF-0D.

I’d prefer full tempo be on all standard releases while panel lining and weathering be the premium finish. Not everyone has the courage and skill it takes to add the last two and I’m all kinds of jealous of @Lolicon’s weathered valks. I’d totally pay money for that. Just not an extra 200+ over the standard price for it. 

This is coming from a guy who bought a standard SDF-1, panel lined it but wasn’t too happy with the results and bought the PF version. 

40 minutes ago, Grey728 said:

I’d prefer full tempo be on all standard releases while panel lining and weathering be the premium finish. Not everyone has the courage and skill it takes to add the last two and I’m all kinds of jealous of @Lolicon’s weathered valks. I’d totally pay money for that. Just not an extra 200+ over the standard price for it. 

This is coming from a guy who bought a standard SDF-1, panel lined it but wasn’t too happy with the results and bought the PF version. 

Not gonna lie. I would be okay with this too. 

Full tampo printing on the standard releases would also be nice competition for Bandai. Adding more effects and "pop" to the premium releases, whatever that may be, would be pretty neat. Hey, maybe that way Arcadia might try to do tinted canopies again?

Edited by technoblue

So I think I'm in the minority in that I don't think the Premium VF-4A looks that good. It looks like someone panel lined it and slapped on a few decals. 

It could be that my own personal sense of aesthetic thinks the design lends itself more to a "clean" non-panel-lined look, but so far I'm not "wowed".

-b.

25 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

So I think I'm in the minority in that I don't think the Premium VF-4A looks that good. It looks like someone panel lined it and slapped on a few decals. 

It could be that my own personal sense of aesthetic thinks the design lends itself more to a "clean" non-panel-lined look, but so far I'm not "wowed".

-b.

This is the weirdest complaint.

53 minutes ago, Mommar said:

This is the weirdest complaint.

Maybe it's in how I tried to articulate my opinion.

The pictures make the 4A look cheap, like someone took a mechanical pencil and traced the lines. The pictures don't convey "Premium", they convey lazy Sunday afternoon with a toy and a pencil and/or Gundam marker.

The Premium 1S isn't panel lined and it looks good. The DX 48 has markings out the wazoo (too many), no panel lines and it looks good. This? Looks cheap.

-b.

2 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Maybe it's in how I tried to articulate my opinion.

The pictures make the 4A look cheap, like someone took a mechanical pencil and traced the lines. The pictures don't convey "Premium", they convey lazy Sunday afternoon with a toy and a pencil and/or Gundam marker.

The Premium 1S isn't panel lined and it looks good. The DX 48 has markings out the wazoo (too many), no panel lines and it looks good. This? Looks cheap.

-b.

Pretty much this, yes.  It looks cheaply done, partially because you can see where they just slapped stickers on it, and partially because the "weathering" looks dirt cheap compared to the work they put into the PF VF-0D.

I'm just really not interested in the PF version.  I don't care for panel lining in general, and would rather not have to worry about smearing it when handling the toy.  I'm really happy that I don't have to pay extra for a feature I don't want, just to get a FB2012 version of the VF-4.

The panel lines look just about perfect to me, as far as basic panel lining (which is not weathering) goes.

It's a matter of personal taste, but grey on white is meant to simulate shadows, not grime or dirt. It's just to highlight the lines and provide the illusion of multiple pieces.

As far as needing to worry about smudging, that really depends what type of ink or paint was used, and if it's been sealed in with a topcoat. I'm guessing that it's not representative of the final version, as they're using stickers rather than tampo.

11 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Pretty much this, yes.  It looks cheaply done, partially because you can see where they just slapped stickers on it, and partially because the "weathering" looks dirt cheap compared to the work they put into the PF VF-0D.

I'm just really not interested in the PF version.  I don't care for panel lining in general, and would rather not have to worry about smearing it when handling the toy.  I'm really happy that I don't have to pay extra for a feature I don't want, just to get a FB2012 version of the VF-4.

Smearing panel lines? WTF are you blubbering about? You know they dry the panel wash BEFORE shipping out the toy, right? :p

If you don't like the way it looks, that's fine. But don't make up non-complaints to justify your position. There's no need to justify anything. If you don't like it, you don't like it.

The DX feels pretty cheap to me when the tampo printing starts rubbing off with only light handling. :p

Edited by Lolicon