Saw "21 Bridges" over the weekend and "Knives Out" tonight. Both are fundamentally sound, solid, smartly-made movies that I wouldn't normally check out in theaters. You aren't missing out on anything groundbreaking if you skip them, but you'll (almost) for sure have a good time with them.

Edited by kajnrig

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 505thAirborne said:

Time for another Chris Nolan Mind Bender! 

Ok. So...

- Robert Pattinson in a cool savvy suit. Check.
- Robert Pattinson in a mind-bending action flick. Check.
- Under Warner Bros. Check.

Looks like WB is testing the water for their new Bruce Wayne. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I feel like 1917 deserves its own thread. Saw it late tonight, and

Holy.

frakking.

crap.

I came out comparing it to my last theatrical outing, which just so happens to be Rise of Skywalker, and man, that's just not fair, it's not even a competition.

This movie is so frakking good, you guys. Go see it as soon as you possibly can.

19 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Holy.

frakking.

crap.

I came out comparing it to my last theatrical outing, which just so happens to be Rise of Skywalker, and man, that's just not fair, it's not even a competition.

This movie is so frakking good, you guys. Go see it as soon as you possibly can.

Going to see it next week, can't wait!! 

42 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Holy.

frakking.

crap.

Completely agree, absolutely top notch war film. Touches on themes of duty, the senselessness of the Great War, extremely emotional, yet not overwrought.

That one sequence in the destroyed french town at night is jawdropping beautiful, you'll know which one I'm talking about.

6 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Holy.

frakking.

crap.

I was just coming here to say the same. Just saw it last night....my God what an amazing movie. Not adventurous like some war movies or over preachy. Just a hard nosed look at the utter hell of WWI. Amazingly acted and filmed. Very very TENSE. 

Also agree about the town....and the music in that scene....WOW. This was the first score that really caught my attention in a long time. 

The film really made me think of Dante’s Inferno. Like the characters were going through the different levels of Hell. 

A truly AMAZING movie. 

Chris

I rewatched Disney's "The Black Hole" last weekend. WOW. I didn't remember much about it from when I was a kid..That's probably a good thing!    I was kinda like ok, I'm good with all this ….up to the last 3 minutes or so of it..then I was like WTFFFF did I just watch??!!! :o

3 hours ago, derex3592 said:

I rewatched Disney's "The Black Hole" last weekend. WOW. I didn't remember much about it from when I was a kid..That's probably a good thing!    I was kinda like ok, I'm good with all this ….up to the last 3 minutes or so of it..then I was like WTFFFF did I just watch??!!! :o

They had no idea how to end the movie - it was being flimed before the ending was written.  They obviously still didn't know how to end it when they finished.  The scenes of "Hell" and Reinhartamillion were darn cool (and creepy) though.

For those of you that like movie scores, 1917 has a surprisingly good score. It was the first score in years that I noticed while watching the movie that grabbed my attention. This track in particular:

Chris

Edited by Dobber

On 1/19/2020 at 7:06 PM, Dobber said:

For those of you that like movie scores, 1917 has a surprisingly good score. It was the first score in years that I noticed while watching the movie that grabbed my attention. This track in particular:

Chris

Yeah, never heard of Thomas Newman before, but I'll be sure to remember him, his work on 1917 fit the movie extremely well.

This track stood out, as well as the one you posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0CXa69GMp4

8 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

Yeah, never heard of Thomas Newman before, but I'll be sure to remember him, his work on 1917 fit the movie extremely well.

This track stood out, as well as the one you posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0CXa69GMp4

That is a good track too.
As for Newman, he was one of the big ones in the 90’s. He actually made 2 of my favorite scores Less than Zero and Men Don’t Leave. Unfortunately, Men Don’t Leave was never released. I had an unofficial copy for a while but have since lost it. :(

Chris

Any other Rifftrax or MST3K fans here?  I know we all like monster movies and animation.  Well this has all three in one.  Just watching the ad for it makes me queasy - I have to buy it and watch the whole thing someday.  But first is to watch Robo-Vampire.

https://www.rifftrax.com/attack-of-the-super-monsters?fbclid=IwAR2N5cDFtqeM7YFKuHXJFP9C1D63xLqMMifWApQq3XYwaR5VQbR5_6yWZNM

Saw 1917 again. Didn't plan on it, but friends wanted to see it and offered me a ticket so I wasn't gonna say no. Some things noticed on repeat viewing (spoilers just in case):

- The music is great, yes, but one thing I noticed was that it never "resolved" neatly. Someone with an understanding of music theory might be able to explain it better, but... the chords used aren't harmonious; as the music continues they sometimes get close to something pleasing, but they never quite get there. You start with tension, and the tension rises and falls, but it never ever goes away. It punctuates the perpetual unease of the movie.

- The movie is a perfect mirror, with Schofield's encounter with the French woman and child as the moment of reflection. Corresponding scenes compare and contrast really well with each other: The film opens in a field of grass with Schofield sleeping against a tree, he and Blake grasp hands, and they discuss the letter Blake received from his mother; Schofield asks the elder Blake's permission to write a letter to Blake's mother, they shake hands, and Schofield goes to rest against a tree.

- One of the unfortunate necessary evils of the elaborate one-take filmmaking style is that it draws attention to itself. First time around I didn't know it would be a thing so I could just roll with it. This time around, I found myself unwittingly trying to find the seams. It distracted from the movie a bit.

- This is some semantic nonsense, but you see (or at least I saw) Schofield load his Lee-Enfield once with a 5-round stripper clip. I think he fires a total of 10 shots - 2x at the German pilot; 1x miss, then 1x hit, then 2x suppressing fire from cover, then 3x suppressing fire on approach, then 1x point-blank with the German sniper - which is exactly as many rounds as the rifle can hold. What, are we to assume that he already had five rounds in the magazine when the movie began? BAH!!! :p

Saw 1917 yesterday in a Dolby Theater. WOW. Awesome movie, I will agree that I found myself looking for the seams. The soundtrack was amazing.  Kinda felt like the same guy that did Gravity maybe??? I swear I heard some things taken from Bear McCreary (sp?) from new BSG too.  I noticed the ammo thing too @kajnrig, it bugged me too! Overall great movie though. 

• 2 weeks later...