I was interested the instant I heard Tom Hanks was playing Mr Rogers.  On a side note I saw an outtake from one of those celebrity "gotcha" shows.  They set Mr. Rogers up in a hotel and had a bunch of things not work correctly ending with the TV.  Mr. Rogers simply brushed off each item saying it was not a problem.  The only one I remember exactly was when they said the TV did not work and he said "That's OK, I like to read".  At that point the crew came out and said they were trying to prank him and just couldn't.  The man really was what you saw on the TV.

10 hours ago, tekering said:

I suppose a thread like this is justified for films that don't fit under the "Anime or Science Fiction" umbrella... or otherwise be of any interest to Macross fans.  <_<

Why don't YOU go watch some Mr. Rogers. You obviously didn't learn how to be nice to people as a kid. 

I always skipped passed Mr Rogers when I was a kid, trying to catch Giligan's Island or Twilight Zone re-runs instead. Part of me regrets that.  My wife has so many fond memories of watching it growing up.

Also, interesting question: Besides Robert Langdon, has Tom Hanks done any other completely fictional characters recently?

Seems like alien anthropologists are going to have a field day trying to figure out why so many important men in movies about the 20th century all look like Hanks.

Even when he's not the star of the movie, say like in The Post or A League of Their Own, he's still like the main secondary character.

14 minutes ago, Mazinger said:

I always skipped passed Mr Rogers when I was a kid, trying to catch Giligan's Island or Twilight Zone re-runs instead. Part of me regrets that.  My wife has so many fond memories of watching it growing up.

Although I admire the man immensely I never could stand the show.  There are others I know who watched it and had fond memories.  I'll most likely see the biopic on him since I find the person so interesting (and Tom Hanks).

It does look good.

But my first question would be, why doesn't she have a clue that 'something' is up? I'm assuming she knows all about this too, esp being as old as she is, so when her whole family just shows up, shouldn't she be suspicious? Or did I just get to the twist end of the movie?

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Dobber said:

That does look good. 

Chris

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_named_in_the_Panama_Papers

To date I'm not sure that anyone has gone to jail regarding the Panama Papers.

Seems like the person who has payed the most for this was one of the journalists who helped expose it and was subsequently murdered:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daphne_Caruana_Galizia

On 8/30/2019 at 11:09 PM, Mazinger said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_named_in_the_Panama_Papers

To date I'm not sure that anyone has gone to jail regarding the Panama Papers.

Seems like the person who has payed the most for this was one of the journalists who helped expose it and was subsequently murdered:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daphne_Caruana_Galizia

I don't think anyone has gone to jail. It's probably too hard to prove/prosecute, especially with the names involved. What do I know of the finance world anyways:unknw:

53 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Rewatched The Martian today. Still a great movie, glad I went out and bought it on Bluray on a whim last night.

Did you get the extended-cut version?

While I love this movie, I'd love to see it as a series on Netflix because sooooo much of the book is missing. 

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:11 PM, sh9000 said:

I’ll check out the Mr. Rogers movie.

57561D7A-07CF-480A-80D6-08FEF942E3FA.thumb.jpeg.986a67cad35470fd166ab8d03f79acff.jpeg

I plan on buying these Black Hole figures from DST.

The thing that always "horrified" me about that movie was the ending.  Even as a kid, I realized: in order for Maximillian to accommodate/save Dr. Reinhardt, there would have to have been some, er, hasty amputation(s).  :blink:

On 9/13/2019 at 3:13 AM, reddsun1 said:

in order for Maximillian to accommodate/save Dr. Reinhardt, there would have to have been some, er, hasty amputation(s).

Maximillian did not save Reinhardt.  

The ending of The Black Hole is open to many interpretations, but that's not one of them.

2 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

what the heck was going on with that ending

The Judeo-Christian imagery suggests Reinhardt was sent to the fiery pits of hell, forever imprisoned within Maximillian, while an angel led the Palomino survivors through the pearly gates to salvation on the other side of the black hole.

• Roy Focker changed the title to The General Movie Thread