Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman) from the Russo Brothers

Announced at Comic Con by the Russo Brothers. If this works out, this might be the best anime to live action project.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/russo-brothers-grimjack-battle-of-the-planets-adaptation-1203273578/

Edited by JetJockey

58 minutes ago, Convectuoso said:

Whete did the name "Battle of the Planets" come from? I recall all the events happening on Earth. 

In Spanish it was called G Force

In the Philippines back then it was also called G-Force.

As far as Wikipedia goes about Battle of the Planets:

In fact the name "Battle of the Planets" was an attempt to associate itself with that popularity of Star Wars.

Edited by no3Ljm

1 hour ago, Convectuoso said:

Whete did the name "Battle of the Planets" come from? I recall all the events happening on Earth. 

In Spanish it was called G Force

Battle of the Planets was the American title IIRC, that's how I remember it as a kid, that said I also heard it called G-Force sometimes. 

Gatchaman wasn't something I heard until I started going down to Little Tokyo LA (80's-90's). Those stores there were a wealth of info. B))

Well the R2-D2 rip off was really only added when it was brought over.

Of all the changes for when it was brought, I think the opening theme is the one that was actually good:

This is what I remember of this series: The Bad Guy was weird AF. Was the Voice Actor intentionally playing the toon as quasi-gay?

9 hours ago, Mog said:

Any chance this will improve the likelihood we’ll get some Gatchaman figures of the five mains?

In their OG outfits?

I'm hoping for weapon props too.

I always called the show G-Force or Battle of the Planets. I can't remember. It was one of those shows that came on early. Like somewhere between 6AM and 7:30AM. And I wasn't up at that time when I was a kid. I tried taping episodes and was only able to get a few. I just knew that the Phoenix was one of the coolest things. Similar to how the veritech could transform, I just couldn't believe someone could come up with something that cool. Add in the fact that the Phoenix could go underwater and hold vehicles. It was a plane I would always draw in class.

3 hours ago, TehPW said:

This is what I remember of this series: The Bad Guy was weird AF. Was the Voice Actor intentionally playing the toon as quasi-gay?

2 hours ago, Bolt said:

The bad guy had lip stick , ya?:lol:

I never checked out the original,  but  I always loved that show growing up. 

You guys have to know the background of the bad guy. I doubt that the movie will stick with the original background from Gatchaman.

Spoiler

They will probably be some kind of twins which I think was the story in Battle of the Planets. The last thing that will happen is the original evil hermaphrodite or transgender character.

And for Jun / Princess, I'm hoping that they cast perhaps a cool looking and stylish Asian type actress. No more Scarlett Ghost in the Shell or Olivia Munn Psylocke nonsense.

Edited by JetJockey

G-Force was one of the first cartoons that really made an impact on me and gave me an introduction to mecha, serious and mature storylines in a cartoon, and just a lot of interesting sci-fi concepts. I started watching when I was about 6 years old, and it definitely made an impression that lasts to this day. I bought the ADV remastered version of Gatchaman c2005, but they went a little overboard trying to inject 70's lingo. Still, it's more complete than the heavily edited BotP, which omitted episodes or edited them for content.

Anyway, silly costumes aside, I'd be totally game to see it done in live action. Heck, I'd even settle for a new toon in the vein of Netflix's Voltron. But, I'll keep my digits crossed that they're successful in getting the live action done.

I remember watching Battle of the planets when I was a kid and wondered why 7-zark-7 always looked so out of place.  It was only after I watched Gatchaman that I realize he wasn't even there.

I have very little hope that this will turn out well.  The Gatchaman movie in Japan was not good.  Don't get me started on the train wreck that was Uchuu Senkan Yamato.

Edited by Hikaru Ichijo SL

15 hours ago, valkyrie_cadman said:

a couple of years ago, the studio IMAGI was going to release a 3D animated version of GATCHAMAN. but it was slated to be released after their 3D animated version of ASTRO BOY. unfortunately, the movie tanked and bankrupted the studio, and the GATCHAMAN movie was scrapped.

I remember the concept art and perhaps another teaser was better than that released teaser. I didn't like the look of the team. Remembering that, I recall the comic from back then was really bad. Aside from the Alex Ross and covers from other artists. I only read the first few issues and didn't like the story at all.

That Imagi trailer looks more like it's trying to be Batman; it's been awhile since I watched Gatchaman or G-Force, but I don't remember their cavorting in a modern day city fighting Galactor. My memories are of their infiltrating industrial areas where Galactor is either building/repairing their mecha, or stealing something, fighting said mecha, which they also sometimes infiltrated in order to take out the troops within and disable or destroy it. It always had a more futuristic feel to me, but then again, I was really young when I watched it, and I vaguely remember any of the eps from the ADV version. I remember things from when I was a kid much clearer than I do as an adult; my memory has always been poor, and it doesn't seem to improve with age. Anyway, I guess I'll have to bust out my Gatchaman DVDs and give them a watch. Unfortunately, they were pretty expensive, so I only bought the first two boxsets, so I'm far from having a complete series. I'll have to see if Funimation got the distro rights for it after ADV broke up.

Those SMAP ads look great, moreso the animated bits. I'm not sure why everything needs to be live action; something like this translates to animation better, IMHO. Just the same, if the Russos go ahead with a live action film, I'm hoping they get it right. I think the Marvel films and the Christian Bale Batman films set good precedents on how to make costumed humans look cool doing their thing. Hopefully they're taking notes.

Edited by M'Kyuun

On 7/20/2019 at 2:38 PM, Convectuoso said:

Where did the name "Battle of the Planets" come from? ... In Spanish it was called G Force

Science Ninja Team Gatchaman (1972) got two different English-language adaptations:

Battle of the Planets (1978), by Sandy Frank Entertainment, which used 85 of 105 episodes and replaced the most controversial segments with the "7-Zark-7" narrator interludes. The title, the modified premise ("travel through space to fight Spectra on other planets"), and 7-Zark-7 (his shape and name, anyway) were all riding on the coattails of Star Wars. It also got a new score by Hoyt Curtin (you'll notice cues similar to his contemporaneous work on the Hanna-Barbera Super Friends shows). The name "G-Force" was assigned to the team.

G-Force: Guardians of Space (1986) by Turner Program Services, which restored most of the footage, but had new names and a new voice dub.

The later sequels, Gatchaman II (1978) and Gatchaman Fighter (1979), would be adapted by Saban as Eagle Riders (1996).

On 7/21/2019 at 11:17 AM, M'Kyuun said:

silly costumes aside

When the alien Sosai X recruited humans to form the Galactor terrorist organization (called "the Luminous One" and "Spectra" in Battle of the Planets), it always intended to destroy Earth in the end (this was quite the shock to chief catspaw Berg Katse). I suspect it got some jollies by seeing how far its minions would debase themselves in pursuit of personal gain. ("Humans like masks, but are embarrassed by funny masks, eh?")