Okay, I'd long since resisted watching this show.  My coworker wouldn't shut up about it and that just turned me right off.  Finally I loaded up episode 1 and... it didn't grab me.  Silly things kept pulling me out of the immersion (how deep was the water in the opening?  Thigh deep, then knee-deep, then so deep the camera doesn't poke over the top.  And how long can he hold his breath for?

Okay, fine, whatever.   Then names, names, and more names that I can't quite follow.  This plot line, then that plot line.   The fight choreography is... okay, I guess?  IT seems like they almost tried too hard.  And don't get me started on the so-called "siege" on that castle.  That place folder faster than Superman on laundry day!  I will admit that I was taken aback by the inhabitants killing themselves; that was unexpectedly brutal.

More fights, and Geralt gets stabbed in the gut and shrugs it off, stabbed in the thigh and shrugs it off, stabbed in the arm... Geez, this guy really IS made of iron. :blink:

Alright, I'll give an episode a shot, if only so I can shut my coworker up.  Episode 2 didn't grab me, either.  I kinda zoned out there for a sec and then the Princess is with some people?  Who are they?  What does that lady mean by, 'He's one of the clean ones'???  And now there's more kinda okay fighting, and a bard with the worst taste in music ever?  What did I miss?  Okay, that song at the end was catchy, I'll admit.

It's not so late, I can start another episode.  Okay, this one is better and I'm starting to get an idea of what's going on.   Things are picking up from its glacial pace, so maybe one more after this one and then I'll call it.  Ohmigod it's how late the sun is rising and now I'm humming that damned Toss a Coin song on my way to bed and someone save meeeeeee… :help:

I'll admit it, it's really grown on me and now I kinda want to tell my brother not to come over since I don't really want to watch the Superbowl anymore!  I'm only on episode 4 and there's only so much weekend left! :lol:

16 minutes ago, CoryHolmes said:

I'll admit it, it's really grown on me and now I kinda want to tell my brother not to come over since I don't really want to watch the Superbowl anymore!  I'm only on episode 4 and there's only so much weekend left!

That's the problem with this show. If you were basing this show on episode 1, yeah, it's horrible. You have to actually spend time and get through the first 3 episodes before it starts making any sense or gets good. Once you finish the season, that's when it all clicks and you have that epiphany moment.

4 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

Okay, I'd long since resisted watching this show.  My coworker wouldn't shut up about it and that just turned me right off.  Finally I loaded up episode 1 and... it didn't grab me.  Silly things kept pulling me out of the immersion (how deep was the water in the opening?  Thigh deep, then knee-deep, then so deep the camera doesn't poke over the top.  And how long can he hold his breath for?

Okay, fine, whatever.   Then names, names, and more names that I can't quite follow.  This plot line, then that plot line.   The fight choreography is... okay, I guess?  IT seems like they almost tried too hard.  And don't get me started on the so-called "siege" on that castle.  That place folder faster than Superman on laundry day!  I will admit that I was taken aback by the inhabitants killing themselves; that was unexpectedly brutal.

More fights, and Geralt gets stabbed in the gut and shrugs it off, stabbed in the thigh and shrugs it off, stabbed in the arm... Geez, this guy really IS made of iron. :blink:

Alright, I'll give an episode a shot, if only so I can shut my coworker up.  Episode 2 didn't grab me, either.  I kinda zoned out there for a sec and then the Princess is with some people?  Who are they?  What does that lady mean by, 'He's one of the clean ones'???  And now there's more kinda okay fighting, and a bard with the worst taste in music ever?  What did I miss?  Okay, that song at the end was catchy, I'll admit.

It's not so late, I can start another episode.  Okay, this one is better and I'm starting to get an idea of what's going on.   Things are picking up from its glacial pace, so maybe one more after this one and then I'll call it.  Ohmigod it's how late the sun is rising and now I'm humming that damned Toss a Coin song on my way to bed and someone save meeeeeee… :help:

I'll admit it, it's really grown on me and now I kinda want to tell my brother not to come over since I don't really want to watch the Superbowl anymore!  I'm only on episode 4 and there's only so much weekend left! :lol:

Lol! Welcome to the fold brother. :good:

Chris

Rejoice, for the armor will be getting changed! According to Hissrich, the armor will be totally different - and hopefully actually look like armor!

From this article -

https://winteriscoming.net/2020/01/31/yes-nilfgaardian-armor-will-different-witcher-season-2/

- and the storyline will be more linear this time rather than jumping back and forth, and will pick up with the Blood of Elves.

One thing I wished they had done was do it more chronologically from the start. Not completely certainly, but having Cintra fall more in the middle of the season would have had more emotional impact, and especially if they had done it in a more grand style. Seeing just the few high points robs it of that. And having never played the game or read the books, seeing the promos made me think it would be mostly all about Geralt and Ciri, so what seemed like 'tossing' in all these other characters with equally big parts was a little confusing. I kept waiting for Geralt and Ciri to meet up and the story to start! And that happened right at the last episode!:D

Really psyched though as, after adjusting, I did like it a lot.

Edited by Thom

15 hours ago, Thom said:

One thing I wished they had done was do it more chronologically from the start. Not completely certainly, but having Cintra fall more in the middle of the season would have had more emotional impact, and especially if they had done it in a more grand style. Seeing just the few high points robs it of that. And having never played the game or read the books, seeing the promos made me think it would be mostly all about Geralt and Ciri, so what seemed like 'tossing' in all these other characters with equally big parts was a little confusing. I kept waiting for Geralt and Ciri to meet up and the story to start! And that happened right at the last episode!:D

My feelings exactly. And when Geralt and Ciri's meeting finally happens, the director apparently has no idea what to do with it and the moment just passes.

The way the fall of Cintra is presented in the timeline prevents is from being that big, epic event it should have been, and what happens quite a few times in the series is that they have a lush establishing CGI shot, but never the physical sets to keep up the illusion.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/3/2020 at 1:24 PM, Thom said:

Rejoice, for the armor will be getting changed! According to Hissrich, the armor will be totally different - and hopefully actually look like armor!

From this article -

https://winteriscoming.net/2020/01/31/yes-nilfgaardian-armor-will-different-witcher-season-2/

- and the storyline will be more linear this time rather than jumping back and forth, and will pick up with the Blood of Elves.

Really psyched though as, after adjusting, I did like it a lot.

If the timeline were linear, we wouldn’t meet Ciri until like halfway through the season, and there wouldn’t have been as much time for the audience to make a connection to a main character before her meeting up with Geralt at the end. The structure they used was a bit convoluted, but I’m not sure how else they could have done it if they wanted to introduce all three mains up front.

17 minutes ago, Syngyne said:

If the timeline were linear, we wouldn’t meet Ciri until like halfway through the season, and there wouldn’t have been as much time for the audience to make a connection to a main character before her meeting up with Geralt at the end. The structure they used was a bit convoluted, but I’m not sure how else they could have done it if they wanted to introduce all three mains up front.

See, that I would have been okay with that. It would have allowed Geralt and Yennifer to be introduced and fleshed out without any time-jump confusions. Both are very good characters who can definitely carry their weight, as well as the first half of the season. The character of Ciri would have been introduced in a more round-about fashion, such as through the wedding ceremony and the Surprise, and then could have been shown in small snippets as she was growing. But of course not really being 'there' until the climactic fall of Cintra in the middle of the season, something that could have been really built up to become far more dramatic than it ended up being. Then once she is there and in character, the focus shifts more to her and Geralt.

Or they could have just time-stamped the scenes whenever they switched eras...

• 1 year later...
On 4/9/2021 at 2:31 PM, easnoddy said:

Would be cool if they did a re-cut of the season 1 in linear order prior to releasing season 2.  Anyone who wasn't familiar with the story or characters was completely lost watching it the original way.

Great idea!

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, sqidd said:

Is that the same actress playing Ciri? She looks a lot more than 2yrs older???

I was thinking the same thing! But they've changed the look of the character, moving away from her younger-vibe, and it has been two years. Kids grow fast.

2 hours ago, Thom said:

I was thinking the same thing! But they've changed the look of the character, moving away from her younger-vibe, and it has been two years. Kids grow fast.

Just as a FYI, Freya Allan was ~16/17 when they filmed season 1. She turned 19 when they stared filming season 2 at the end of 2020. She'll be in her 20s if they make it to season 3. Kids do grow fast.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Almost done. Just have the final episode left. Been a great season.  Also loved when the Bard returned and his new song. Also loved the “in-joke” about the different time lines and stuff. 😂

Chris