This superhero movie trend can't end soon enough for me.

Its completely taken over Hollywood, and not in a positive way.

3 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

I'm sure someone said the same thing about "westerns" back in the day and now they are few and far between.....just don't watch and support them if you don't like them

Unfortunately, the financial stakes are too high for these type of films these days......they are here to stay for a long while, like it or not

3 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

Why, because Akira is put on hold?

4 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

The trend will end as soon as you want it to on a personal level by not seeing another super hero film, quite easy. I'm still fully on board, we're at a time where ANY comic or comic-related material can become a film or TV series, and I love that. We got an incredible Doom Patrol series, Swamp Thing has been brilliant, Shazam, Far From Home, and many others have been fun and ejoyable enough. I don't see the issue, it's not like other films aren't being made, super hero movies are just the safest and most profitable blockbusters to make nowadays.

6 hours ago, electric indigo said:

So Thor killed Akira? Great move, Thor.

I'd say it unironically.  Great move, Thor, saving us from a bastardization of a classic. :)

13 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I'd say it unironically.  Great move, Thor, saving us from a bastardization of a classic. :)

It was overrated to begin with.

I read this comment in the context of games recently, but someone made a very good point about trends in any popular media.

The gist of it was, "In order for them to stop making terrible things, you need to stop buying the terrible things they make."

If you want something different, by all means vote with your dollars, but as long as there are millions of people throwing money at things you don't like, you're kind of out of luck there, because they're going to keep making the things that people buy, regardless of how bad they actually are.  Consumers need to be aware of how much influence they actually have over what is produced.

Far as Thor is concerned, I was actually wondering if he was going to be a tag-along for the next GotG movie, and kind of surprised to see another solo title announced.  I do wonder if this will be a return to form, or a shake-up of the character though.

Spoiler

I think the biggest disappointment I have with the entire Natalie Portman casting is that they got someone who really didn't care enough about the franchise to follow through on the character (let alone someone who had any chemistry with Thor in the first place).  Jane Foster wielded Mjolnir herself in the comics, and unless we get a recasting, I don't see that happening in the MCU, even if we do get a restored Mjolnir. :p  

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

Hide contents

I think the biggest disappointment I have with the entire Natalie Portman casting is that they got someone who really didn't care enough about the franchise to follow through on the character (let alone someone who had any chemistry with Thor in the first place).  Jane Foster wielded Mjolnir herself in the comics, and unless we get a recasting, I don't see that happening in the MCU, even if we do get a restored Mjolnir. :p  

They don't need to do this anyway...

Posted (edited)

This is good.  Thor and GotG are the only 2 Marvel properties I'm still in it for (a smaller nod to Dr Strange). 

I don't enjoy Spider-Man, Black Panther, Ant Man or Captain Marvel all that much.  Now that I think about it, it's likely the humor of the first 3 I enjoy, whereas the other ones aren't that funny to me (Ant Man funniest of those 4).  Captain America, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel films really aren't very funny at all.

Edited by easnoddy

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mommar said:

They don't need to do this anyway...

They never needed to, no, and I don't even know if I care about the comic plot involved, but better casting there might have made the first two Thor movies a fair bit more fun.  I never thought they were that bad myself, but the romance subplots always felt like a mistake.

Edited by Chronocidal

What if Thor 4 is instead about Valkyrie and a power struggle for rule over New Asgard?

Still say she should have received Mjolnir at the end of Endgame.

12 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

I mean, if you think that a crappy Hollywood adaptation of a frankly overrated anime film would be better, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

But for me, even the worst of the Marvel films has been decent, and the best of them have been quite excellent, so I'm quite content to have more comic book to film adaptations.  And since Taika Waititi's previous Thor movies is one of the ones I'd regard as excellent, I'll happily take another Thor movie from him over Akira any day.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

What if Thor 4 is instead about Valkyrie and a power struggle for rule over New Asgard?

Still say she should have received Mjolnir at the end of Endgame.

Except they didn't actually have Mjolnir at the end of Endgame... at least not without breaking some of their previously established timeline guidelines.*  Since Thor had taken it from his past self, Steve had to return it to Asgard with the Ether... which I still think would have been an amazingly funny situation to watch.

*Note: No, according to their own time travel guidelines it shouldn't have mattered anyway, because apparently only the stones themselves had to be returned, but I've given up trying to make sense of when the rules did and didn't apply in that movie. :p 

Edited by Chronocidal

Posted (edited)

Ragnarok was a great Thor movie - until they yanked the rug out from under it in IW and killed just about everybody... It was a great ride though!

I'd love to see them pull the same 'magic' out of the hat for Th4r, though I would prefer that he stays out of GotG. The rapport between Quill and Thor, while funny, just seems a little too childish. Quill has his immature moments, which is part of his charm, but his character really shines when he gets down and serious. I can't yet imagine a movie will both of them in it when they are not doing their 'no you're in charge wink-wink' schtick for the full two hours, and their complex characters are devolved to a pair of comedic foils.

As for Jane Foster, I would love to see the character come back. Get Portman back, or recast if you have too, but I would like to see her return. And wielding the Hammer!

Edited by Thom

This will be the first non-Avengers film to get a 4th movie.  Captain America got 3, Iron Man 3.  In fact, if you think of Avengers Infinity War and End Game as 2 parts of the same movie, even the Avengers films are sitting at 3.

So 4 films is definitely something new for the MCU.

1 minute ago, mickyg said:

This will be the first non-Avengers film to get a 4th movie.  Captain America got 3, Iron Man 3.  In fact, if you think of Avengers Infinity War and End Game as 2 parts of the same movie, even the Avengers films are sitting at 3.

So 4 films is definitely something new for the MCU.

His name wasn't in the title but Civil War was an Iron Man film too, really.

So we get Beta Ray Bill now? I’m interested, if so.  Where does this fall in the MCU timeline. It can’t be after Endgame as that will be Guardians Of The Galaxy 3, right? Before Endgame?

Bored of super hero movies. Especially Marvel. 

6 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Except they didn't actually have Mjolnir at the end of Endgame... at least not without breaking some of their previously established timeline guidelines.*  Since Thor had taken it from his past self, Steve had to return it to Asgard with the Ether... which I still think would have been an amazingly funny situation to watch.

*Note: No, according to their own time travel guidelines it shouldn't have mattered anyway, because apparently only the stones themselves had to be returned, but I've given up trying to make sense of when the rules did and didn't apply in that movie. :p 

Beat me to my own retort. :lol:

7 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I mean, if you think that a crappy Hollywood adaptation of a frankly overrated anime film would be better, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

But for me, even the worst of the Marvel films has been decent, and the best of them have been quite excellent, so I'm quite content to have more comic book to film adaptations.  And since Taika Waititi's previous Thor movies is one of the ones I'd regard as excellent, I'll happily take another Thor movie from him over Akira any day.

I didn't say anything of the sort, Hollywood trying to adapt anime has been a total disaster so far too.

I'd prefer studios start making original properties again. Don't get me wrong, MCU movies are usually fairly inoffensive, but seeing nothing but capecomic adaptations and remakes of nostalgic titles at my local cineplex is depressing as hell.

While not perfect Ragnarok is one of my top 3 MCU films. Very excited to see the same creative team take another wack at these characters :)

So while Odinson is off galavanting with the guardians of the galaxy,  Jane Foster picks up the mantle ( hammer ) of Thor..could be cool. I haven’t followed the comics since the late eighties, early nineties, so I’m unfamiliar with this arc. But it could be fun..

On 7/17/2019 at 6:02 PM, mikeszekely said:

QFT

Pretty stoked about this and all of the Marvel news that's come out of SDCC.

-b.

This should be pretty cool. Those of you that want to know more about the character, check out Jason Aaron's run on Thor.  One of the consistently best books by Marvel.  Jane gets another upgrade at the end of the war of realms storyline.  Also another fun read.

There's another theory floating around about another side Mcu character that if true will get a Hulk sized rebirth in this next Phase.

I wonder what convinced Portman to return, could it be because it’s a ton of free money that is guaranteed with Marvel movies?  

Well, at least she doesn’t have to worry about sand and stuff and waving glow sticks.  I am also hopeful that given what is supposed to be the LGBTQ theme that was part of this movie, may be they throw in a gratuitous threesome along the way.

8P

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

I wonder what convinced Portman to return, could it be because it’s a ton of free money that is guaranteed with Marvel movies?  

Well, at least she doesn’t have to worry about sand and stuff and waving glow sticks.  

8P

I can't imagine that running around in front of Green screens with a pretend sword is all that much different from running around in front of a green screen with a pretend hammer.

Edited by Dynaman

2 hours ago, Dynaman said:

I can't imagine that running around in front of Green screens with a pretend sword is all that much different from running around in front of a green screen with a pretend hammer.

Yeah, but getting to wield said hammer, after not having wielded said sword, probably counted for something.  ;)

Okay, color me insanely surprised.  After the "I'm only going to show my face for 15 seconds in this movie" level cameo in Endgame, I thought she was completely done with the MCU.

31 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Okay, color me insanely surprised.  After the "I'm only going to show my face for 15 seconds in this movie" level cameo in Endgame, I thought she was completely done with the MCU.

Dude, there is only one reason she is shilling for this thing.  $$$$$

I think that she dropped out of the last Thor movie was because she thought that it was going to perform like the first two, which was I think were among the crappiest of the Marvel entries.  She knows what Marvel is, it's not some indie artistic crap that wins critical acclaim and only manages $15 in the release period.

Oh, I know it's for the monies, but it's also disappointing, because while I know she can act, I really don't think she ever felt like she fit the role at all.  I'm sure she'll put on a decent performance, but I don't know if you can act your way out of non-existent screen chemistry.