• 1 month later...

Kind of cautiously optimistic, since it looks and sounds really good, but I think the amount of fantasy fighting elements shown in this trailer might detract from it a bit.

Either way, I really hope this turns out successful, because I would love to see Disney lean more in this direction for future live adaptations... less making scene-for-scene copies of their old animated movies, and more exploring the source material for ways to turn the stories into any number of different genre flicks.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

little Bob Jr wants to make his mark... and $30 is perfectly reasonable considering It will be a family event for four or five people.  Besides think of it as a trial run, if successful, next will come Black Widow and others.  Disney can ditch the theaters and make Megabucks, genius ploy to get more data.

Depending on how many takers, next movie might be $24.99 or $19.99.  Everyone has a price, Disney just need to figure out critical mass, easy to go high price and then move down.

May be even easier to down tier down pricing over time if needed, $30 in first four weeks, $28 the three weeks after that $25 the two weeks beyond, and $20 for the four weeks after, and $15 for the six weeks after that.  An economist’s dream in terms of learning consumer behavior and adapting to it.

I'm not watching the movie but...

$30 for a family of four to watch is not bad.  That is $7.50 a "ticket".  If it were a movie my wife and I wanted to see I would consider it even though that would amount to $15 a ticket (which is near what it costs at the theater and home popcorn and soda is a lot cheaper).

4 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

and $30 is perfectly reasonable considering It will be a family event for four or five people.

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

$30 for a family of four to watch is not bad.

That assumes I was planning on buying 4-5 tickets. I did want to see this in the theater, but it was just going to be me and my wife, and the afternoon matinee is around $5.50. And that was back in March... I've waited this long, I can wait a little longer for the Blu-ray. Then at least I'll own it.

2 hours ago, Dynaman said:

I'm not watching the movie but...

$30 for a family of four to watch is not bad.  That is $7.50 a "ticket".  If it were a movie my wife and I wanted to see I would consider it even though that would amount to $15 a ticket (which is near what it costs at the theater and home popcorn and soda is a lot cheaper).

I pay the $7.50 for the theater experience so I don't have to watch it with my family, ie my kids!!! Mine won't have any interest in watching Mulan as they are still very young. It was hard enough to keep my five year old daughter from leaving half-way through FROZEN 2, ugh.

DISNEY is screwed. Wouldn't surprise me if they buckle and make the film free for Disney+ as their current content is getting old and dry.

I don't know where you guys live but the cheapest theater option here is $10 but you get free lice with admission there.  

EDIT - Just read that the $30 is for permanent access to the film but you have to have Disney+ 

Edited by Dynaman

30 bucks on top of the D+ subscription cost.... BWAHAHAHAHAHA!  Disney must really think, in their desperation, that their dwindling customers are a bunch of blithering idiots with more disposable income than common sense.

Edited by mechaninac

Well, considering how they kept raising the prices for their theme parks and people still kept getting annual passes . . .

Personally, I don’t think there’s too many movies I’d pay an extra premium for (maybe the next Spider-Man, if they somehow add in Netflix Daredevil into that story).

But considering how some of their content is currently delayed (looking at you, MCU series), I don’t think they want to piss off the natives too much.

Seriously, the more anyone thinks about this, the more this is a brilliant idea.  Just don't know if this was little Bob or Sideshow Bob.  (Chapek and Iger respectively)

Disney needs a sea change, they know the parks are hosed for the next year no matter what happens, their worst case is to expect 2021 to be a total loss too, and part of 2022 because Covid is going to be seared into people's brains for the next generation, probably through Gen Z.  They've got to make money somehow.  Sports will come back, so their TV properties will get some traction, cause hey, locked up people has to do something.   And no one can envision major league sports going away.  Parks might break even again.  (make it more exclusive)

But the movies side of the business need traction, it's a critical part of their flywheel, the problem is movie theaters might not survive, and they need something to supplement Disney+.  They've got this potentially hot property that's going to compete with all the other hot properties sitting on the pipelines waiting for release, does anyone think Mulan has a chance next to James Bond, Top Gun, Wonder woman, the next 50 Harry Potter movies, why take the chance.  They see Apple+ buying up Tom Hanks, and the Disney people figured they better take the initiative and bet big, push Mulan out streaming, if it fails financially, well, it was going to happen anyway, they need to take a big bet.  There is always the fall back if traditional theater opens up.

Outside of that, they figure that home entertainment might get closer and closer to big screen experience, and even if it doesn't, who wants to go into a theater for the next year, not knowing who is going to have Covid.  So, they give this a shot, if it's anything successful, you can bet that Black Widow will go next.  Sure, they'll do limited screen releases when the lockdown ends.  But hey, why share money with the theater if you don't have to.  Disney will be better off without the theaters.  Then guys like Apple will follow suit.  If however, companies like Apple set the tone and give the stuff away for free, then Marvel and the Mouse is going to become a subsidiary for the master of Cupertino, and no one wants that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

Disney acting as mercenary propagandists for the Chinese Communist Party is something that should've been stopped years ago.

Expecting corporations to exhibit the same level of moral behavior as a socially-conscious person on the street is definitely optimistic to say the least.

Like so many other corporations, what they care about is profit first and very little else second.  That's why practically every country has so many laws and regulations to police various abusive behaviors corporations engage in.  It's not at all surprising Disney went chasing after ticket sales in the People's Republic of China.  It's a BIG audience.

What IS surprising is that they did such a poor job of it.  Disney's original animated Mulan was extremely well-received in China, reportedly to the point where it caused some serious consternation over how westerners could create a better Chinese movie than China's own filmmakers.  This live action remake seems to be universally poorly received.  Taking out the actual message of Mulan's folktale in favor of making her an aloof superhuman Chosen One with magic powers with a rabid obsession with honor seems to have kind of killed it for Chinese audiences at least as much as the movie's collaboration with the Chinese propaganda organizations did in the west.

Definitely agree that Disney trying to cash in on Chinese audiences isn't a big surprise, but with how incompetently they handled Mulan, they've somehow managed to poison two wells with a single film. Given how hawkish US politicians are getting over China, an American icon like Disney being dumb enough to slap "co-produced with the CPC's internal security apparatus" in their credits is a couple tiers above that infamous Rambo 3 dedication to the Mujahideen in "corporate leadership misreading geopolitics in a big way".

12 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

Disney acting as mercenary propagandists for the Chinese Communist Party is something that should've been stopped years ago.

Meanwhile, our idiot PM:

Anyway, politics aside, what's the deal, if you already have Disney+, you still have to pay $30 on top just to watch it, or is it free if you already have Disney+?  

If we have to pay extra, that's not a road I want to walk down, I'd rather just cancel my subscription.

Edited by peter