My collection Macross VF-1 YAMATO 1/48

xoxokin

On 7/25/2019 at 9:38 AM, HardlyNever said:

For my part, having something (anything really, not just toys) in direct sunlight for extended periods of time will always affect the color.  It may or may not turn yellow, but the color will fade or change in some way.  But like that thread says, there a lot of ways plastic can turn yellow, including simply exposure to air at all.  So I don't think there is any 100% full-proof way of preventing yellowing, other than maybe having it stored in an air-tight, vacuum sealed dark box.  And I'm not even sure that would work 100% of the time.

I'm speculating on a few things here.

-Sunlight effects them all. But to different degrees depending on the different plastic formulations. You could have three sitting next to each other on the same shelf that yellow at different rates because of the plastics used. Best solution, remove sunlight.

-How they are stored. I think I'm seeing a trend where the valks in Styrofoam "coffins" are more prone to yellowing than the ones in the clear plastic "coffins".  This makes sense. Styrofoam breaks down over time and "off gases". It's the same thing you get on the inside of your car widows where they slowly get foggy and then it's hard to clean off. That stuff on the window is the byproduct of the seat foam off gassing. Basically you have the foam degrading and then depositing itself on the windows. That's why it's so hard to get it all cleaned off. That off gas "material" can't be good for the plastic toy. I think this goes a long way to explaining why valks like VF-25's that have been stored MISB come out yellowed. Wait a few more years and you will see the same thing with the 29's and 31's. For this reason the few I'm not displaying have been removed from their Styrofoam coffins for storage.

-Then you have the climate where they're being stored. I don't know what is better/worse. Dry or humid. My guess is dry. What I would bet money on is if that climate fluctuates often you will get more reaction. Keep the temps and humidity constant and you will probably eliminate that variable almost completely.

-Obviously the smoke free environment is a plus.

-Keep dust off of them.

-Keep your furnace filters fresh.

The above is all Bro Science. Take it with a grain of salt.

On 11/6/2019 at 10:19 AM, 505thAirborne said:

^^^ What a beautiful sight!! B))

Would love to see Bandai do the Low Vis. with their DX VF-1 line. 

Would love to see Arcadia do the Low Vis in their 1/60 VF-1 line.

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, peter said:

I repainted my Hikaru 1/55 Strike to a Roy by hand when I was 10 years old.....regretted it ever since, lol!  With the Bandai DX series, I think I'll wait, haha!

Whatever happened with it?  If you sold it, I might have bought it on ebay some years ago...

11 minutes ago, myk said:

Whatever happened with it?  If you sold it, I might have bought it on ebay some years ago...

I still have it....it's in rough shape, yellowed where the window would have been, box is long gone (cut it up and posted the pictures into a scrap book).  Still have the foam, but it's also in rough shape.  The toy itself is in one piece, nothing broken and still transforms perfectly, but it just looks rough.  The yellow paint covering the red was done with a paint brush, freehand, so it looks as good as a 10 year old can manage, lol!

As bad looking as it is though, I don't think I could bring myself to sell it.  It was a birthday present from my dad and I remember it was a big deal for my parents to shell out that kind of coin (even back then) for a toy.  Happy memories, despite me completely destroying it, lol!

41 minutes ago, peter said:

I still have it....it's in rough shape, yellowed where the window would have been, box is long gone (cut it up and posted the pictures into a scrap book).  Still have the foam, but it's also in rough shape.  The toy itself is in one piece, nothing broken and still transforms perfectly, but it just looks rough.  The yellow paint covering the red was done with a paint brush, freehand, so it looks as good as a 10 year old can manage, lol!

As bad looking as it is though, I don't think I could bring myself to sell it.  It was a birthday present from my dad and I remember it was a big deal for my parents to shell out that kind of coin (even back then) for a toy.  Happy memories, despite me completely destroying it, lol!

I would hold on to that piece also.   Looks like you weren't the only one with Fokker aspirations for their '55 1S; back in '99, when I finally got on to the internet, I bought a Bandai Strike that had been hand painted to Roy stripes as well.  I cant say I blame you guys for doing so, Roy is the man!

BTW, pardon my ignorance but I havent been into the toy scene for a long time.  Bandai IS planning to release a '48 Roy DX, right?  I might come out of self imposed toy buying exile to buy that for sure...

Edited by myk

8 hours ago, myk said:

I would hold on to that piece also.   Looks like you weren't the only one with Fokker aspirations for their '55 1S; back in '99, when I finally got on to the internet, I bought a Bandai Strike that had been hand painted to Roy stripes as well.  I cant say I blame you guys for doing so, Roy is the man!

BTW, pardon my ignorance but I havent been into the toy scene for a long time.  Bandai IS planning to release a '48 Roy DX, right?  I might come out of self imposed toy buying exile to buy that for sure...

Yeah, I think most folks are of the opinion that they'll release a Roy, me included, haha!

11 hours ago, myk said:

The DX Strike Parts that were just released have "tokens" with black Skulls (along with others) in the box. The assumption that is for upcoming releases.

• 1 month later...