My collection Macross VF-1 YAMATO 1/48

xoxokin

On 7/13/2019 at 1:50 PM, nightmareB4macross said:

Hi xoxokin,

That’s are really cool pictures.

By the way,  do you keep the boxes and store them or discard it all?

How do you manage the accessories?

Yes, all keep and the  boxes have been flattened under the bed. Ha Ha >t< 

That is an amazing collection!

I'd recently thought about selling my original 1/48 Roy with fast-packs to snag a Bandai DX VF-1J, and I'd even taken pics and gotten it ready to go, but then I realized that Yamato's 1/48 is awesome and there's no way I can part with mine.

PSX_20190723_133633.jpg

5 minutes ago, GuyNoir said:

That is an amazing collection!

I'd recently thought about selling my original 1/48 Roy with fast-packs to snag a Bandai DX VF-1J, and I'd even taken pics and gotten it ready to go, but then I realized that Yamato's 1/48 is awesome and there's no way I can part with mine.

PSX_20190723_133633.jpg

I think you chose wisely!

14 hours ago, Ryoma said:

How did you keep all your valks from yellowing? 90% of mine yellowed a lot.

Have they been exposed to direct sunlight?

I have thirteen of the old 1:48's, and none of mine show any evidence of discoloration whatsoever.  They've been on display for many years, but only in windowless rooms.

13 hours ago, Ryoma said:

Great collection! One of the best 1/48 i have ever seen actually. I have a question though. How did you keep all your valks from yellowing? 90% of mine yellowed a lot.

I am using this Hydrogen peroxide kind of dyed hair, Restore to white.20190709_221721.thumb.jpg.7d21bc87fa562575dcd7ea95f079f961.jpg

20190709_223309[1].jpg

20190709_220801.jpg

16 minutes ago, tekering said:

I have thirteen of the old 1:48's, and none of mine show any evidence of discoloration whatsoever.  They've been on display for many years, but only in windowless rooms.

Only the cabinet display will turn yellow.

20190708_233008.jpg

30024_392806348537_5066855_n.jpg

On 7/24/2019 at 5:00 AM, tekering said:

Well, honestly sunlight or not sunlight didn't seem to matter for mine. For example, Max VF-1A DYRL was put right next to my Roy VF-1S and Max became all sort of yellow (all of it!!!) while Roy seems like new, not a single piece yellowed. Few shelves down we have my very first valk, a VF-1J Hikaru 1/60 v.1 and it is just perfect. On the same shelf of max and roy we have Hikaru VF-1A and Kaki VF-1A. Hikaru is good(not perfect, but very good) Kaki instead, well it looks like an army of rats peed on it for ten years every day. The room where they were put on display had three windows but the curtains were always down(well for most of the time) and i don't think that was that huge amount of light coming in. At least for what i remember( i moved out of that house a couple of years ago).

1 hour ago, Ryoma said:

Well, honestly sunlight or not sunlight didn't seem to matter for mine. For example, Max VF-1A DYRL was put right next to my Roy VF-1S and Max became all sort of yellow (all of it!!!) while Roy seems like new, not a single piece yellowed. Few shelves down we have my very first valk, a VF-1J Hikaru 1/60 v.1 and it is just perfect. On the same shelf of max and roy we have Hikaru VF-1A and Kaki VF-1A. Hikaru is good(not perfect, but very good) Kaki instead, well it looks like an army of rats peed on it for ten years every day. The room where they were put on display had three windows but the curtains were always down(well for most of the time) and i don't think that was that huge amount of light coming in. At least for what i remember( i moved out of that house a couple of years ago).

Yellowing is the great boogie-man of the toy collecting world from what I can tell.  There are 100s of theories about how/why things turn yellow.  A lot of them are covered in this thread:

For my part, having something (anything really, not just toys) in direct sunlight for extended periods of time will always affect the color.  It may or may not turn yellow, but the color will fade or change in some way.  But like that thread says, there a lot of ways plastic can turn yellow, including simply exposure to air at all.  So I don't think there is any 100% full-proof way of preventing yellowing, other than maybe having it stored in an air-tight, vacuum sealed dark box.  And I'm not even sure that would work 100% of the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/25/2019 at 5:12 AM, Ryoma said:

On 7/23/2019 at 8:05 PM, xoxokin said:

I am using this Hydrogen peroxide kind of dyed hair, Restore to white.20190709_221721.thumb.jpg.7d21bc87fa562575dcd7ea95f079f961.jpg

20190709_223309[1].jpg

20190709_220801.jpg

Are you leaving the Valkyries completely assembled when you use the hydrogen peroxide?

Doesn’t the hydrogen peroxide eat away the metals and leave them pitted and or vulnerable to rust?

Or are you clear coating them once done?

That hydrogen peroxide whitening method is interesting. So it only whitens the plastic without affecting the paint or anything else?

I have some old valks that have yellowed and some old-ish ones that haven't quite yellowed but the white has definitely faded when putting them next to newer, whiter valks. I'd love to try this method if it's totally safe on paint and tampo printing. Some of those old valks have rainbow canopies I want to salvage!

9 hours ago, Lolicon said:

That hydrogen peroxide whitening method is interesting. So it only whitens the plastic without affecting the paint or anything else?

I have some old valks that have yellowed and some old-ish ones that haven't quite yellowed but the white has definitely faded when putting them next to newer, whiter valks. I'd love to try this method if it's totally safe on paint and tampo printing. Some of those old valks have rainbow canopies I want to salvage!

I have tried this method on old Galen’s and Jetfires to test, but never had any great results.

Might have to try some old junker Yamato’s and see how it goes.

9 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

I like the pictures...  BUT.... I dread the idea of sunlight kissing those valkyries with their yellowing touch.

Well if you have to take the Valks out for a walk I could think of a lot uglier settings.  @xoxokin where is this idyllic place?