Sign in to follow this  
Sandman

Buyee Snipe bid question

I put a snipe bid on an auction. I putcit quite high just in case but it occurred to me it might now work like i think it does. Im hoping its like ebay and it incrementaly increased the bid. Someone outbid me and i see that it didnt do that. Does it bid your max amount only at the end? 

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

I put a snipe bid on an auction. I putcit quite high just in case but it occurred to me it might now work like i think it does. Im hoping its like ebay and it incrementaly increased the bid. Someone outbid me and i see that it didnt do that. Does it bid your max amount only at the end? 

https://buyee.jp/help/yahoo/guide/sniper-bid

What is sniper bid?

With sniper bid you can automatically bid on last minute auctions!
*Sniper bid will be placed 5 minutes before the auction ends.

Caution 1:
When either of the following happens your sniper bids will be canceled.
1. When another bidder has over bid on you.
2. When seller ends the auction.
Caution 2:
Once you place a sniper bid, you are not able to place a normal bid on the same auction.
Caution 3:
Cancellation cannot be accepted 15 minutes before the auction end.

Sniper bid is free to use.
*When you win a bid purchase costs will be charged to your account.

Edited by no3Ljm

4 hours ago, Sandman said:

That didn’t really answer my question.

Let's say that your high "snipe" bid was 1000 JPY...it places the bid at 5 minutes to go....if the bid amount at the time the auto snipe gets placed is 100 JPY...the new auction amount will go to 200 JPY....if someone comes in anytime between your snipe bid at 5 minutes or by the last second of the auction's closing time....your 1000 JPY will hold as long as the "competing" bidder does not bid 1001 JPY by the time the auction is over....if, however, the competing bidder keeps bidding in increments of 100 JPY until your max snipe bid of 1000 is "revealed"...then the competing bidder can win at 1100 JPY or, if they are good at determining your max bid, then can even win at 1001 JPY!

Hope this makes sense for you....happy bidding!

One other thing....if another bid is placed after your snipe bid is placed at the five minute mark, then the auction is auto-extended...I believe by another 5 minutes, which then makes the auction now end in 10 minutes versus 5 minutes...this can go on for several rounds.....the most annoying is when your auction is a minutes or less away from "ending" and someone comes in and places a bid....the auction then goes back to 5 minutes...if someone places another bid....it adds another 5 minutes....the max extension is 10 minutes depending on the minute mark that the bid is placed...so it can be anywhere from 10 minutes max to 5 minutes....

Been in these bidding wars many times....

One bit of advice I can give you....if there have been ZERO bids on the auction you have your eyes on....let it go to 1 minute or less...preferably to within seconds....bids placed after the 5 minute mark with no previous bids will not auto-extend the auction and will simply finish at the original auction's end time....only auctions that have a bid placed after the 5 minute mark will get auto-extended if they have had a previous bid placed...

Edited by jvmacross