Aoshima Transformation Garland 1/24 Question

aarelovich

Hi. Just to be clear this is the kit I'm referring to: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10063592

I can get my hands on one of this kits. And from what I've seen it has almost perfect transformation. But mosto of my experience has been building Gunpla, Super Mini Pla and some Moderoid/GoodSmileCompany kits. So a couple of questions

1) How much glue does it require? How do you know where to apply it? Do you need to wait a while after joining each piece?

2) Do I need to pain it? Or does it come with color plastic (this seems to be a no, base don the pictures in the link, but I've seem some pictures fo the plastic with NO color whatsoever).

Any thoughts or reviews?  Even a ebay prices it is a HELL of a lot cheaper than an ES Gokin or a Arcadia garland... so....

I have not built this kit but judging from the instructions, it looks like it uses stickers to achieve "color accuracy".  The instructions tell you which pieces need to be glued together: Solid lines require glue, dotted lines do not.  This is the standard way of representing areas to glue since the 70s. 

I would recommend using something like Tamiya thin type plastic cement (https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/finishing/plastic-cement-20ml/) rather than the Gel type glues like Testors.  You may need to check the formulation of the plastic to see what type of cement you need.  It looks like Polystyrene so the Tamiya stuff should be OK (they also make an ultra-thin version).  To use this stuff, hold the parts together, apply the cement along the seam and wait a few seconds.  Make sure the parts that should move, move while waiting for the parts to bond.  This cement actually melts the plastic slightly so go slowly and apply a little at a time.  Watch some YouTube videos to see how this process works, if you are not sure.

Speaking of YouTube, here are 2 video reviews of the kit.  I have not watched them yet, but it should give you an idea of what you can do with this kit:

https://gundameclipse.net/aoshima-garland-quick-review-t5486.html

Good info @Darth Mingus  

I’ve been looking at these kits lately , they look pretty good. I would probably paint mine rather than use stickers,  although the stickers probably do ok.

Hey @aarelovich the eBay prices for these are still quite expensive, considering  what Hobby Search is selling them for. At that rate you can buy my Yamato 1/15 Garland for a little more:p

12 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Good info @Darth Mingus  

I’ve been looking at these kits lately , they look pretty good. I would probably paint mine rather than use stickers,  although the stickers probably do ok.

Hey @aarelovich the eBay prices for these are still quite expensive, considering  what Hobby Search is selling them for. At that rate you can buy my Yamato 1/15 Garland for a little more:p

Huh? Where I have not seen these kits being sold anywhere other than Ebay (Including Hobby Search). And besides I'm the proud owner of a Yamato Garland Myself, just that its not red, its the silver version (they were MUCH cheaper than any of the other versions). And brand new to boot. 

I wanted to get the model so that I could have a red version. My only other option is arcadia but that is about 300 bucks with shipping. So no thanks. 

@Darth Mingus Thank you for the reply. I have seen the review you mention, even though it is for the proto garland. But I did nto know about the dotted and thin lines. As I'm new to gumpla and modelling in general. I have the cement you mention altough it is for another brand as there is no tamiya stuff in Argentina. So thanks!

PS: I've seen the youtube video review. Your first link is a for a non-trasnforming car from another anime series.

Edited by aarelovich

1 hour ago, aarelovich said:

Huh? Where I have not seen these kits being sold anywhere other than Ebay (Including Hobby Search). And besides I'm the proud owner of a Yamato Garland Myself, just that its not red, its the silver version (they were MUCH cheaper than any of the other versions). And brand new to boot. 

I wanted to get the model so that I could have a red version. My only other option is arcadia but that is about 300 bucks with shipping. So no thanks. 

@Darth Mingus Thank you for the reply. I have seen the review you mention, even though it is for the proto garland. But I did nto know about the dotted and thin lines. As I'm new to gumpla and modelling in general. I have the cement you mention altough it is for another brand as there is no tamiya stuff in Argentina. So thanks!

PS: I've seen the youtube video review. Your first link is a for a non-trasnforming car from another anime series.

Oops, sorry, copy and pasted faster than thinking.  One more piece of advice, try your glue on a piece of the runner before you glue anything together.  Some glues react really badly to some plastics, the worst being Revell type that comes in a blue bottle with the metal applicator needle.  This stuff makes the Bandai ABS brittle and just destroys it.

14 minutes ago, Darth Mingus said:

Oops, sorry, copy and pasted faster than thinking.  One more piece of advice, try your glue on a piece of the runner before you glue anything together.  Some glues react really badly to some plastics, the worst being Revell type that comes in a blue bottle with the metal applicator needle.  This stuff makes the Bandai ABS brittle and just destroys it.

Thank you! I'll keep that in mind