[Live Action] Monster Hunter Movie

• Old_Nash changed the title to [Live Action] Monster Hunter Movie

Directed by perennial Resident Evil director Paul Anderson IIRC, hence why it stars his wife Mila Jovovich. Last I heard it was going to be a Gate-style story where a portal opens up and MH monsters start pouring through. The main characters are a modern military outfit who find their weapons ineffective and learn to fashion weapons from the monsters themselves in order to fight them.

As a premise, it's better than it could be... is probably the most positive spin I can put on it.

12 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Directed by perennial Resident Evil director Paul Anderson IIRC, hence why it stars his wife Mila Jovovich. Last I heard it was going to be a Gate-style story where a portal opens up and MH monsters start pouring through. The main characters are a modern military outfit who find their weapons ineffective and learn to fashion weapons from the monsters themselves in order to fight them.

So it's more an unofficial live action adaptation for Gate: Thus the Japanese Self-Defense Force Fought There?

I absolutely hate what this guy did with the Resident Evil films, I can't find a single positive thing to say about any one of those films, even for turn your brain off action schlock, they're frakking terrible. But, I loved the MK movie, it will always hold a special place in my heart, it was 90s as hell, and awesome.

That all said, I am a MASSIVE Monster Hunter whore, I've played EVERY game in the series to over 100 hours each minimum, hundreds of hours on certain titles, and that Diablos looked fantastic, and like Diablos. Tony Jaa too? I'm in, if even just for the expensive CG versions of what look like really accurate takes on some of my favorite MH monsters. The premise of a gate works for me, the MH games themselves have little to no story, with the story really only being highlighted in the newest game, Monster Hunter World, which this film apparently takes the majority of it's inspiration from, every game is mostly about you being a random hunter that constantly needs new shoes so you have to find and kill bigger meaner monsters, over and over.

Edited by Tking22

33 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

As a premise, it's better than it could be... is probably the most positive spin I can put on it.

A portal open to Monster World and monster came to Earth?

It's Monster Hunter or Monster Rancher?

• 1 year later...

Another missed opportunity. The book series Monster Hunter International could absolutely be the next break out franchise but no one is taking the risk. Probably not Avengers big. But it could be Matrix big.

At a minimum it could be a killer TV (Netflix or something) series. Now that I think about it a bit it would be better as a TV series. That goes for most stuff though.

040f33e6d2be4decce5cde39cdc7e1ac.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...