Shanghai Fortress (2019) - New Chinese film with mechs

I wonder how good the book that it based on is.

The trailer has the benefit of making this look like the closes we'll get to something like a live-action Macross movie for many years to come.

China's getting better at making movies that are visually on par with Hollywood.  But their storytelling... well, I hope this is better than The Wandering Earth.

Also, I saw the title and can't help but be disappointed that it's not an action-comedy-western starring Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson.

Edited by mikeszekely

5 hours ago, Mazinger said:

I wonder how good the book that it based on is.

The trailer has the benefit of making this look like the closes we'll get to something like a live-action Macross movie for many years to come.

China production house presents...RT with Shu Qi as Lisa hayes! Being china loves RT and all...

You know, the real answer here is: "MORE HOT CHICKS"  

Otherwise, I don't see this any worse than Bayverse Transformers.  And I'm sure we can get people better looking than Megan Fox, and that British chick from the third movie.  Remember, it doesn't matter what ethnicity, scantily clad girls sponging down cars or mechs sell in any country.

On 6/12/2019 at 8:21 PM, mikeszekely said:

China's getting better at making movies that are visually on par with Hollywood.  But their storytelling... well, I hope this is better than The Wandering Earth.

Also, I saw the title and can't help but be disappointed that it's not an action-comedy-western starring Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson.

Lol ...Should be interesting but ya , I can barley follow what’s going on. Not really trying either..

Pretty straightforward plot- humans vs aliens, where the aliens have huge motherships that disgorge killer ball bearings, and the humans have anthropomorphic bird-like drones. Honestly, the CG doesn't look half bad, nor the hardware. The drones are somewhat unique; at least they didn't straight up copy Pacific Rim or Gundam. I'd watch it out of sheer curiosity. It definitely looks like all out action over anything cerebral, which is fine for this sort of thing. It's the Chinese Independence Day.

After watching that trailer, the vibe I'm getting is essentially Starship Troopers 3: Marauder by way of Independence Day... just with slightly higher production values than the former.