NHK Full Macross Survey

8 hours ago, Jenius_girl said:

I was pleasantly surprised that Kaname was the most popular Walkure member, getting 5th in the overall character ranking!

BEST GIRL

Though I suspect that's just because Delta is the newest show in the franchise. These popularity polls do tend to favor whatever's most recent. A "Favorite Final Fantasy heroine" poll had FF13 main character Lightning at #1 a few weeks after FF13-3 came out. The FF13 director, Motomu Toriyama, even cited that poll in pushing her into other FF games. A little bit later, FF10 HD came out, and the same poll conducted again had FF10's Yuna on top. Still, it's nice to see BEST GIRL place above the rest of the Delta cast, as she should.

The fact that Kaname placed above the ostensible "stars" of the show (Freyja/Mikumo, arguably Mirage), and the fact that Delta in general seems to be represented in the lower half of the Top 10s of each poll at best, says a lot about its (lack of) lasting appeal. I doubt it'll have much representation in the Songs category, and if/when this poll is repeated in 5-10 years, I'll be surprised if it breaks Top 10 in any category.

Anyone know the Mecha rankings?

14 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Anyone know the Mecha rankings?

@Tochiro will illuminate us with final results.

But as of the speaker pod cast, these were trending..I only jotted down a few..

#20-ya-21 movie version

16-Keith’s Draken

15-VF-19 from Frontier 

14-yf-19.version.?

11-SDF-1 tv version 

10-VF-1J

7-VF-1S Strike

5-ya-19 movie version

3-VF-19 Kai

2-yf-29 Durandal

1-yf-19 OVA version

This will pan out differently in the end , but gives y’all a good idea what peeps are thinking. How about that YF/VF-19!

No love for M2..:unsure:

I’m a little surprised Delta only scored 1 in the top 10 “Axia” considering how popular Walkure is right now .

But really , not too many big surprises. Stoked to see Isamu at# 7. Although I knew the YF/VF-19 is popular over there, this really tells just how much..

Minmay (SDFM version) knocked out my girl Misa for #10<_< And her DYRL version killed it at #6!

Kaname got in there too, oh well , no Mirage ..

5 hours ago, Tochiro said:

Going through the results with a fine tooth comb today. Will hopefully have a writeup done by tonight. 

3242A376-EFE1-4F9D-812A-519ECA9C8D7C.jpeg

What scale is that gerwalk, and is when is the preorder. Not that i would be able to afford the shipping even.

8 minutes ago, seti88 said:

What scale is that gerwalk, and is when is the preorder. Not that i would be able to afford the shipping even.

1:6 scale. 

Its been doing the rounds at events such as Kawamori’s The Henkei, the Skytree Blue Moon Showcase and Comiket since 2015 or so. 

16 hours ago, Bolt said:

@Tochiro will illuminate us with final results.

But as of the speaker pod cast, these were trending..I only jotted down a few..

#20-ya-21 movie version

16-Keith’s Draken

15-VF-19 from Frontier 

14-yf-19.version.?

11-SDF-1 tv version 

10-VF-1J

7-VF-1S Strike

5-ya-19 movie version

3-VF-19 Kai

2-yf-29 Durandal

1-yf-19 OVA version

This will pan out differently in the end , but gives y’all a good idea what peeps are thinking. How about that YF/VF-19!

No VF-0A or Sv.51? Seems like Zero aint all that popular over in Japan.

6 minutes ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

No VF-0A or Sv.51? Seems like Zero aint all that popular over in Japan.

VF-0A and Sv-51 indeed did not place even in top 50. VF-0S is 26th and the only one in Mecha from Zero.

Zero did however come in 11th overall in the Anime voting.

The Mecha poll is more interesting if you just make it one of each ship type (IMO)
1 - YF-19 Alpha 1
2 - VF-1 Valkyrie
3 - YF-29 Durandel
4 - VF-19 Excalibur
5 - VF-31 Siegfried
6 - VF-25 Messiah
7 - SDF-1 Macross 
8 - VB-6 Konig Monster
9 - HWR-00-MKII Monster
10 - YF-21 Bravo 1
11 - SV-262 Draken
12 - Macross Quarter
13 - VF-27 Lucifer
14 - VF-0 Phoenix 
15 - Regult
16 - VF-22 Sturmvogel II 
17 - Battle Frontier
18 - SLV-11 Daedalus
19 - VF-4 Lightning III 
20 - MBR-04-MKVI Tomahawk
21 - VF-171 Nightmare
22 - VF-11 MAXL
23 - Glaug
24 - Macross Quarter
25 - Ghost X9
26 - Queadluun Rau
27 - Battle 7
28 - VB-6 Konig Monster

*Interesting that while the 11 MAXL is there, the regular Thunderbolt, in either B or C type, is not. 
*While on the show popularity poll, Macross Plus ranks low but the YF-19 is the most popular fighter. 
*While Macross 7 is one of the most popular sh
ows, the 11 and 17 don't appear at all, but Battle 7 just makes the cut. 
*The VF-0 is the sole representative of Macross Zero. 
* 3 of the 4 versions of the Monster appear.
*The 21 is WAY lower than the 19. 

Fun list :)

Yeah, it makes zero sense to have movie vs OVA versions of the Plus valks---it's just splitting the votes for identical valks.  It'd be like having "Focker's VF-0 in Ep 1 vs Focker's VF-0 in Ep 2" as different categories...

I mean, Isamu wins anyways (as he should), but it should be even more commanding...

At least TV vs DYRL have differences. 

18 hours ago, Tochiro said:

1:6 scale. 

Its been doing the rounds at events such as Kawamori’s The Henkei, the Skytree Blue Moon Showcase and Comiket since 2015 or so. 

Ah thx for jogging the memory! Yeah i saw pics of it especially during the skytree showcase..

16 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Blue = male
Pink = female.
Bar graph shows age distribution.

First pic (6th place) = MDelta
Second (5th) = SDFM
Third (4th) = MFrontier ~Sayonara no Tsubasa~
Fourth (3rd) = M7

My takeaway here is that the newer shows are getting more female viewers. My best guess as to why would be the character designs.

1 - YF-19 Alpha 1
3 - YF-29 Durandel
4 - VF-19 Excalibur  => Basara version
6 - VF-25 Messiah

I would also love HMRs of these. *wallet cries* (would have liked a wallet destroyed gif here)

13 minutes ago, Dirtyboy said:

How can Macross Plus be so low??? Its the best after the original Macross

It wasn't a mass-market television series, or a tie-in to one. That limits appeal for a japanese popularity poll. Outside Japan, things are different since ALL of this is hobbyist viewing that has to be actively sought.

You can infer from the age brackets that people are voting for the show that was on when they were kids. SDF's votes come almost exclusively from people over forty. 7's votes are centered around the 30-39 band, and almost a third of Delta's votes are from the "under 20" bracket.

Edited by JB0

The poll results are remarkably balanced in my opinion. Pretty evenly spread chronogically even. The top 5 shows are from the 80's, 90's, 00's and 10's. Interesting . Frontier winning was not a suprise since it got so many things right (music, mecha, characters, art, animation) and is probably the one Macross show that can be watched by current 12 and 42 year olds alike.

It's clear that the OVA format is not a popular one for Macross productions too. II, Zero and to a lesser extent Plus did not so good.

3 out of my 4 favorite Macross songs made it, yay! 

On 5/6/2019 at 2:35 AM, hachi said:

My takeaway here is that the newer shows are getting more female viewers. My best guess as to why would be the character designs.

And the age ranges almost exactly parallel the age of the shows themselves. In other words, people prefer whatever was new when they were teenagers.

This is a fascinating — if not that surprising — study in Macross fandom demographics.

Thanks  very much for putting that together. It makes for a very insightful and interesting read.

A sequel to M7 would blow many minds!

Let’s hope they give him permission one day to let the dogs out!

Thank you Gwyn for the fantastic article! It was great seeing the results and a that we have such an intensively diverse fan group.

There literally is a Macross series suitable for everyone out there.

Thank you so much for spending the time aggregating the results for us!

Shawn

Just  a follow up thought here..

WOW!! No love for M2! Adriann was right,  it’s rigged:o :lol:

Ishtar ranked 40 by tv series (out of 50) .  And the VF-2SS didn’t even rank in the top 50?! Ouch..!:unknw:

which is quite interesting, considered Bandai went for it and did the VF-2SS in the HMR line up..

• 3 months later...