What books are you currently reading?

kajnrig

I figure since there's an anime thread and a manga thread and a TV thread, there may as well be a literature thread, too. Unless no one here reads... which would be literally impossible, now I think on it, but ANYWAY

I'll start off. I just finished "The Obelisk Gate," Book 2 of the Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. Jemisin. The trilogy is set on an Earth-like world with a single super continent populated by people with specific abilities that put them into this or that "use-caste" (ie character classes). The story follows an "orogene" (think earth-elemental magician) named Syenite who works for the Fulcrum, an organization that specializes in 1) training orogenes to use their power for the good of society, or 2) killing orogenes, either "wild" ones or young ones unable to control their powers, for the good of society.

It's been a blast so far. Good characters, good writing. When I heard that each book in the trilogy won successive Hugo Awards I kind of did a face, thinking, "That's cheating..." But the quality of writing has been pretty deserving of the accolade.

It also gets pretty anime at times, like the part where Syenite exclaims something like "You want me to catch the frakking moon!?" I imagine she would've been useful during a certain battle against a certain mad titan...

Anyway. if anyone else has been reading anything or want to recommend stuff, have at it.

Edited by kajnrig

The Takeshi Kovacs novels are awesome.  The first book “ Altered Carbon” became a Netflix series, which tries to do it justice.  I’ve  re read the series a few times.  Very anime style. 

I love his fantasy novels too!

Richard K. Morgan. 

Not gonna lie, I've been pretty heavy into reading comic books/graphic novels, and it's been an extremely long time since I read an actual book.  But I can tell you that I'm eagerly awaiting Joe Zieja's "System Failure," the third book in his Epic Failure trilogy.  The first two books were great, can't recommend them enough.

I've recently finished the Star Trek: Vanguard novel series that was recommended to me by @Talos.  Not quite my cup of tea thanks to the rather relentlessly dark story, but as EU stuff goes it's much better written than average.  I'm also following the Yen Press translation of Kugane Maruyama's Overlord light novels.  Their translation has been quite good.

Currently starting Robert W. Chambers' The King in Yellow for a change of pace.  Some nice proto-Lovecraft existential horror.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Add me in on the Exapnse list. Due to a fair amount of reading and writing during the day, I do tend to be in more of a graphical mood at night, so either read some comics/graphic novels/manga in bed or watch streaming movies/shows/anime, but I'm also steadily working my way through reading the Expanse series. Enjoy it thoroughly, but I do tend to go back and forth on how into it I get. There's a huge backlog of purchased books waiting for me to get around to them...

I'm currently reading through The Wheel of Time series.  On book 5 I believe.  After I finish this book it is the latest Expanse book.  In between I also read history and Asimov books.  All of the Foundation series and the robot series that takes place before Foundation "Caves of Steel" being one of the titles.  Before that was the Star Carrier series, the Space Marine Core series by the same author (not the name of the books but I forget the titles), the Trafalgar Incident series, the Lost Fleet Series,  the Blood on the Stars series (thought this one would be a stinker at first but he threw a couple of good curve balls), and the Destroyermen series.  

Basically if it is non-jingouistic military scifi I'm apt to read it.  Or reasonably priced history books on Kindle. 

A bit lighter reading than the rest of you guys, but I just finished Ransom Riggs' fourth installment of his Miss Peregrine series, Map of Days. Great series, made all the more interesting as he builds his stories around vintage photos, often odd ones. Looking forward to next book.

Got some Hawking I need to try and absorb as well.

Going through these posts, I think I've got my reading list set for the next few months. Some new ones I didn't know about, and some reminders of classics that need catching up on. I'd been meaning to get on The King in Yellow since references to it seem to have increased in the last few years.

On another note, I forget if I shared my friend's Kickstarter for a novel she was hoping to publish, but the Kickstarter was a success and published it she has. It's up on Amazon now, if you feel inclined to have a look-see: https://www.amazon.com/Mornnovin-Way-Falling-Star-Book-ebook/dp/B07PTBXQCV/

I received a physical copy for backing the campaign, and I'll be back with some thoughts on it soon...ish.

4 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Got some Hawking I need to try and absorb as well.

Around the time my daughter was born I became deeply interested in how relativity applies to time.  I mean, a lot of people are familiar with time dilation and the old example of how a twin who flies off in a spaceship at close to the speed of light will be younger when he returns than the twin who stayed on Earth, but another aspect of time and relativity is that two observers can witness a sequence of events and agree on what happened but not the order it happened in.  I was reading a ton trying to wrap my head around that, mostly Brian Greene, Lee Smolin, Richard Muller, and Carlo Rovelli.

11 hours ago, kajnrig said:

I'd been meaning to get on The King in Yellow since references to it seem to have increased in the last few years.

Yeah, what finally got me to break down and read it was the repeated references to it in a Dan Abnett novel I'd been reading.

On 4/10/2019 at 11:13 PM, davidwhangchoi said:

Front Mission 3 Strategy guide, paperback.

One of my favorite games of all time. I have the guide on my shelf as well. I used to "collect" them. Seeing an activation of a skill like Salvo was so satisfying. I still remember killing the last Boss with body smash. 1 hit K.O.  :)

Currently reading some pulp fantasy, Summoner 5 by Eric Vall. I read a lot of the translated LNs like DanMachi as well. I usually wait until I have a back log and then binge read them though. I'm patiently awaiting Mahouka to catch up to were I read through the unofficial translations to. It's really a shame a lot of the details in the LNs never make it in the translation to anime or manga. 

I think right now I am reading about 15-20 light novel series.  I buy physical books for Spice and Wolf (just starting this), In Another world with my Smartphone (a completely stupid story it is my guilty pleasure), A sister's all you need, The Asterisk War, ReZero, Konosuba, SAO and SAO progressive. 

Last "new" thing I read was M. Heitz's recent addition to his Dwarves series. Triumph of The Dwarves, so glad he decided to come back to this series.  Just finished up D. Dalglish's Shadowdance series and started his Seraphim series, again.  Impatiently awaiting both B. Week's, and Salvatore's latest. 

I buy physical copies for all my LNs if they are available. I get both with Tate no Yusha with kindle matchbook. I started reading In Another World with My Smartphone before it was physical now I'm getting the actual volumes. I like that they're releasing them in the smaller format. Easier to store and they fit in manga sleeves. Hopefully more series will be released this way unless the page count is prohibitive.

Wolf-1 how are the other D. Dalgish books? I read the Shadowdance trilogy and I like it. It's like a cross of Batman and Assassin's Creed but when I got the first volumes of The Half-Orcs and The Paladins on kindle they didn't really grab me. Do they get better?

I finished reading the Broken Empire trilogy by Mark Lawrence. Think of a low budget, less ambitious and complex Tale of Ice and Fire. Absolutely brutal at points. The protagonist, Jorg Ancrath is as nasty and morally ambiguous as they come.

2 hours ago, bluemax151 said:

Wolf-1 how are the other D. Dalgish books? I read the Shadowdance trilogy and I like it. It's like a cross of Batman and Assassin's Creed but when I got the first volumes of The Half-Orcs and The Paladins on kindle they didn't really grab me. Do they get better?

As far as the world of Dezrel, I too have only read the Shadowdance series, there are 6 plus the novella.  His Seraphim series is another world and only a trilogy; its got people flying around with a type of steam-punk/magic wings and shooting elemental magic at one another until swords are joined, this I really enjoyed.  He also just released his latest series that is yet another world of its own; wasn't impressed with the description given.  If you enjoyed the Shadowdance series then I highly recommend you check out B. Weeks Night Angel series, it is far more graphic and grand in every respect.  

Thanks Wolf-1. When I read Shadowdance in 2015(?) there were only the 3 books. Looks like there is a few more now. I have actually read Night Angel and it is also very good. Less D&D and more general fantasy? With some darker elements.

@Hikaru Ichijo SL  

I like that Spice & Wolf is a fairly large divergence from a standard fantasy story. It's a slice of life/commerce story predominately with some action and detective work thrown in. There's a romance element that's constant but not the entire focus with potential rivals but no harem. I love Holo's posturing and preening. It's a constant reminder of her true nature but it's never heavy handed or blunt.

Do audiobooks count?

I just finished Cixin Liu's Three-Body Problem series.  First one was incredible.  Second one was awesome.  Third is kind of a downer.

Currently on China Mieville's The Scar, the second book from his Bas-Lag series.  I loved Perdido Street Station and this one is proving a worthy follow-up.

On 4/15/2019 at 12:06 PM, bluemax151 said:

I buy physical copies for all my LNs if they are available. I get both with Tate no Yusha with kindle matchbook. I started reading In Another World with My Smartphone before it was physical now I'm getting the actual volumes. I like that they're releasing them in the smaller format. Easier to store and they fit in manga sleeves. Hopefully more series will be released this way unless the page count is prohibitive.

I love Smartphone it is one of my favorites and I am also getting the physical copies.

Currently reading First Man, the official biography of Neil Armstrong. Full of facts and figures concerning both aviation and the US space program, it's quite interesting, if pedantic at times. Dr. Armstrong was a rather reticent and emotionally closed fellow, and that tendency follows throughout the book where the author interviewed him concerning various aspects of his life, both personal and professional. A consummate engineer, he often retreated into his work both out of passion and as an escape. The man was extremely humble, yet had a long list of amazing accomplishments under his belt even before taking that famous first step onto the lunar surface. Definitely recommended if you're a space fan, or you just want some insight into his life.

• 2 months later...

Recently finished Crest of the Stars vol 1. It was my first digital light novel purchase, thanks to J-Novel Club. It's a great complement for those who have seen the anime, though I'm not sure for new readers. Although to be honest, I was able to finish this much faster than the Legend of Galactic Heroes novel. Hopefully J-Novel Club will be able to complete both Crest and Banner content--and looking forward to the physical book releases next year. And I remember reading fan translations of stuff after Banner of the Stars III, so I hope these are also eventually officially translated as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Currently reading Endurance by Astronaut Scott Kelly, chronicling his year long stay at the ISS. He's fairly candid about both the pleasant and unpleasant aspects of life on the station.