Osaka Toy Stores

rusted180

Hey fellas, 

Not sure if this is the right topic to discuss on this part of the forum.. sorry guys if im posting this in the wrong place...(mods, please let me know where i can post this sort of topic if im in the wrong..) 

but I was wondering if anyone has visited osaka or lives there that know of any good toy store near dotonbori that sell a good selection of retro toys from the 70-80s, macross toys, or a good selection of gundam toys... 

Im only going to have 1 whole day to check out the city since the rest of the week will be with a tour group. 

thanks again as always1 

-rusted 

There are two Mandarake stores in Osaka. One is in Umeda which is further north. The other is Shinsaibashi which is near Dotonbori. 

There's also a Jungle shop in that area but I've never been to it. 

And of course there's tons of toy stores in Den Den Town. 

Definitely hit the two Mandarakes and the Jungle store in Osaka if you can.

Jungle is way more fun to visit in-person than Mandarake since you can get some crazy deals.

Last time I was in Japan I nabbed a totally loose but complete DX Alto YF-29 with Supers for just 15000 yen. Also got a loose RVF-25 renewal with all accessories for 6000 yen :D

1 hour ago, Arkham said:

If you don't mind me asking a stupid question, you need to be a fluent Japanese speaker to visit the store? Does the staff speak English or some other language?

Thanks!

Everybody talks like this:

Joking aside, the staff have a grasp of English so you’ll be fine. They can get through the usual questions fairly competently. Have a great trip!

2 hours ago, Dashgtr said:

All the shops are scattered around so u need to walk around...there are a few big ones by the main road as there are some smaller ones in the small roads...prices are slightly higher than Tokyo...

Whoa... i heard osaka is cheaper.. no?? 

Well ill definitely be on the lookout.. i just hope my daughter and wife will be patient with me..

2 hours ago, Arkham said:

If you don't mind me asking a stupid question, you need to be a fluent Japanese speaker to visit the store? Does the staff speak English or some other language?

Thanks!

Good question!

Thanks!

You don’t need to be fluent in Nihonggo or any dialect in that matter to visit a store in a different country. There’s no law prohibiting a non-Nihonggo speaking person to visit a Japanese-centric store. I’m pretty sure that even if they don’t understand English, you can still point to what you want and show them your passport, so they don’t charge you local tax, and your money. One way or another, they already know that you’re there to buy something. If you want to negotiate, you can write your price to a paper or type it in your phone.

Back in the 80’s, my parents used to bring a English-Japanese pocket dictionary to use words when buying stuff when we’re still in Japan. Nowadays, just bring your smartphone and use some app for translation — for sure Google Translate will become your best friend. And while you’re at it, save photos of the toys that you’re planning to get so you can just show it to them. 

Problem solved. ;) 

Thanks!

I should have been better about at least learning more broken Japanese, but my wife and I were able to get around okay (neither of us speaks Japanese). I never really needed to converse much, though, as I wasn't on the hunt for anything in particular. Just looking around, mostly. And we were able to navigate okay just using our phones. A lot of Japanese people speak at least a tiny bit of basic English, but I try not to presume that when I travel, though I also rely on that more than I should. 

Nakano Broadway is a good place to lose yourself for a few hours if you're not inclined to wander the streets from one shopping center to another in Akihabara and Den-Den Town. There are several floors' worth of Mandarake just in that one building alone. It's a nerd mecca, a very big one, and you'll probably see as many foreigners as you do actual Japanese people.   

32 minutes ago, rusted180 said:

Whoa... i heard osaka is cheaper.. no?? 

Well ill definitely be on the lookout.. i just hope my daughter and wife will be patient with me..

This last trip, I asked my wife to be patient with me for Nakano Broadway. She's kind of a nerd, too, so that worked out well. Just don't forget to make time for stuff besides the toys. I liked seeing the deer at Nara, and Tokyo Bay was great (okay, so there's a life-sized Gundam there).

The highlight of my two trips, though, have had nothing to do with toys: the Michelin-starred ramen joint Nakiryu (much better than Tsuta, IMO), and Fuji-Q and Aokigahara. We had a guide take us on a four-hour hike through the forest, in chilly January, and it was amazing. And as cool as Jungle was, my favorite part of Osaka wasn't Jungle, but the aquarium.

Edited by gingaio

8 minutes ago, gingaio said:

I should have been better about at least learning more broken Japanese, but my wife and I were able to get around okay (neither of us speaks Japanese). I never really needed to converse much, though, as I wasn't on the hunt for anything in particular. Just looking around, mostly. And we were able to navigate okay just using our phones. A lot of Japanese people speak at least a tiny bit of basic English, but I try not to presume that when I travel, though I also rely on that more than I should. 

Nakano Broadway is a good place to lose yourself for a few hours if you're not inclined to wander the streets from one shopping center to another in Akihabara and Den-Den Town. There are several floors' worth of Mandarake just in that one building alone. It's a nerd mecca, a very big one, and you'll probably see as many foreigners as you do actual Japanese people.   

This last trip, I asked my wife to be patient with me for Nakano Broadway. She's kind of a nerd, too, so that worked out well. Just don't forget to make time for stuff besides the toys. I liked seeing the deer at Nara, and Tokyo Bay was great (okay, so there's a life-sized Gundam there).

The highlight of my trips so far, though, have been the Michelin-starred ramen joint Nakiryu (much better than Tsuta, IMO), and Fuji-Q and Aokigahara. We had a guide take us on a four-hour hike through the forest, in chilly January, and it was amazing. And as cool as Jungle was, my favorite part of Osaka wasn't Jungle, but the aquarium.

Yeah i hear ya! This will be my second time there.. went about 20 yrs ago..

My wife was never into anime like me... my daughter used to be.. but not so much anymore now... i missed that. Watched fist of the north star movie with her when she was 12.. lol! She was speechless.. but couldnt stop watching it with me. 

Yeah.. we're gonna mostly be with a tour group.. but we will have one day free in osaka. We'll definitely be hitting up dotonbori and the castle! But it'll be a crime if i didnt hit up toy stores. 

Anywho. Thanks for all the info and advice! All u guys have been helpful

-andrew

• 4 years later...

Hey Rusted,

While I don't have specific information about toy stores in Osaka, I can certainly share my own experience. If you're ever in New York City, there's a big toy store in New York that's a haven for toy enthusiasts, offering a wide range of collectibles from various eras. I've personally found rare retro toys from the 70s and 80s, Macross toys, and a fantastic selection of Gundam figures there. Even though you're planning for Osaka, visiting a store like this in New York could be an unforgettable experience and might provide you with some inspiration for your toy hunt in Japan. For more toy hunting adventures, you can explore largerthanlifetoys.com. Enjoy your trip!

On 10/14/2023 at 1:00 PM, PONGEE256 said:

Hey Rusted,

While I don't have specific information about toy stores in Osaka, I can certainly share my own experience. If you're ever in New York City, there's a big toy store in New York that's a haven for toy enthusiasts, offering a wide range of collectibles from various eras. I've personally found rare retro toys from the 70s and 80s, Macross toys, and a fantastic selection of Gundam figures there. Even though you're planning for Osaka, visiting a store like this in New York could be an unforgettable experience and might provide you with some inspiration for your toy hunt in Japan. For more toy hunting adventures, you can explore largerthanlifetoys.com. Enjoy your trip!

I wish they were in the city, or did online sales!

• 1 month later...

Hey Rusted!

No worries on the forum post—collectors gotta stick together, right? 🤖 If you find yourself craving more toy adventures, "Larger Than Life Toys" at largerthanlifetoys.com in Syracuse might have some cool surprises. As for Osaka, I'd recommend swinging by Nipponbashi—it's toy paradise! 🎌🚀 Hope you snag some awesome retro treasures in your one whirlwind day! Safe travels and happy toy hunting! 🛫🧸