Information needed, Buying my first yamato

Darkspire17

Hey guys, i dont post much here but id like some help, found a pal over on FB selling a yamato Super 1J, im unsure what release it specificaly is (V1, V2 Ect), it has detachable legs witch ive never seen on a yamato valk before, im about to get more photos of it from him for more clarrification. I know it has a broken backpack hinge, and am not sure if that's simple to fix, Any info would be great. 

46814178_10216682942853619_4110024994916925440_n.jpg

What you have pictured is a Yamato 1/60 version 1 VF-1J Hikaru valkyrie.

I am now assigning you homework.

Assignment 1:  Watch this video review of the Yamato 1/60 v1 toy.  

Assignment 2:  Read this page that covers the v2 toy:  http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=4599

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

14 minutes ago, Darkspire17 said:

so this is one of the ones with the bad QC?

Not bad QC but out-moded, it debuted in 2001. I would rather own a Bandai 1/55, maybe even a Toynami MPC, than a Yamato V1 1/60 toy. Also, that backpack hinge is NOT fun to fix,.

6 minutes ago, Darkspire17 said:

it was 50$, but i told them ill pass

Honestly, I wouldn’t get one, unless I was going to customize it and glue it in position.  I hate to say it, but it’s truly not fun to handle or transform. The only one I kept is for my 6 year old! 

The v2’s rock ( definitely check out the above links) but they are not cheap..

(Cheap being a relative term..)

Edited by Bolt

26 minutes ago, jenius said:

Not bad QC but out-moded, it debuted in 2001. I would rather own a Bandai 1/55, maybe even a Toynami MPC, than a Yamato V1 1/60 toy. Also, that backpack hinge is NOT fun to fix,.

That bad huh? Because you are praising Toynami. Means really bad!

3 minutes ago, fenrir72 said:

That bad huh? Because you are praising Toynami. Means really bad!

Haha,  @jenius said “maybe a toynami..”

At least they’re cheap , poseable and playable without exploding apart in your hands. 

(I’m highlighting the high points here)

Yamato deserves a lot of praise for starting from scratch with their V1 VF-1 toy and a lot of good engineering developed from that and was implemented to much better success in the 1/48 and 1/60 V2 toys and every VF-1 that has followed. That said, the V1 is very much a learning experience and I'm glad it did well enough where Yamato was able to continue and grow but it's not a time that should be revisited. The Toynami MPC is not innovative in any way. It tries to jam "what worked" from previous toys basically mashing a 1/55 Takatoku into a Bandai HCM, adding a twist at the knee but inexplicably dropping the ability to angle the legs outward (from the HCM). It doesn't hold together well in fighter mode and has funky proportions in fighter and battloid modes BUT... it's pretty simple. It shouldn't frustrate you and it doesn't fall apart like the MPC Alphas. Is it a good toy? No.... but if I was doing more than taking pictures of fighter mode, I'd probably rather be handling the Toynami than the Yamato V1. I think I'd go with a Bandai chunky monkey over both though.

For 50$, it's a not a bad deal... I love the die cast on them, give them some heft. But, it's probably why they are so difficult to pose. I use a clear bandai stand for posing and they are very nice display piece. 

But yeah, for a toy, better invest more in a DX chogokin (if you can get one) or a yamato v2 or arcadia 1/60. 

No.

That posted v1 is a very very very bad deal at $50. 

Especially since the backpack is broken.

The only good deal with that particular item is to either give it away or  throw it away.

Fwiw, I still have a couple of v1s and they mainly stay in fighter-mode exclusively.

In favor of the v1, it was the first "premium" toy to feature the flush-closing backplate and flush-fitted backpack hinge, along with a lack of external swing bars for the legs. Those were some pretty revolutionary features back in the day. I did always like the weighty feel of those due to their diecast content too.

That said, I'd give them a hard pass in this day and age. All of the v1's (good) features have been adopted and refined considerably by subsequent lines. This specific example is probably worth no more than $20 as a parts valk. I sold all of my v1s several years ago and had sold the Super-equipped valks for $65 a piece, boxed and complete in good condition. $50 for a broken one is wack.