R2KF Build it Comp - Winners has been Announced

Return To Kit Form

G'day Lads, I just thought that I would share the announcement that we are having our first Build It Competition (BItComp)!

All the rules can be found on our Facebook Page as well as on the R2KF Builder's page and I have pasted and copied them here. I hope you guys can jump on board and get some of those kits out of the stash, onto the bench and finished!

R2KFCOM.jpg.1005cb41beeccbb93f607e1f5f77a2de.jpg

We are happy to announce our first model competition; the Return 2 Kit Form Build it Competition!

Why are we doing this? Well here at R2KF we love to see our stuff built. But unfortunately a lot of people purchase resin kits which are then left to collect dust in the stash while people put off building them until "later" and they just never get around to it. So we thought we would give folks a reason to raid the stash and get cracking.

But we aren’t just spruiking our own kits here, there are far too many Macross resin kits that have been lovingly sculpted, molded, cast boxed up and sold that are confined to a cardboard prison of doom. So we are opening the competition to any Macross resin kit!

PRIZES!

That’s right just to add a little interest we are offering up a couple of prizes:

- Best Model: R2KF 1/72 Scale Legult Standard with Pilot
- Runner Up: Hasegawa 1/72 VF-31A Kairos

However if we get more than 20 completed kits as entries we will replace the Legult kit with a the upcoming 1/72 Norbert Gerard Power Armour kit So gather up your mates, raid the stash and get building!

So here are the rules:

1) The competition is open to any RESIN KIT of any scale from any of the MACROSS franchises.
2) The kit must be a first party item. Recasts of any type will not be accepted and furthermore you should give yourself an uppercut for supporting pirates. A photograph of the kit instructions and/or box must be presented for the entry to be valid.
3) If you have a styrene kit you would like to enter we have a separate category for DISPLAY only for which there will be no prizes. But this may change so pay attention
4) The kit must be unstarted or barely started. If you have primer on it then you’ve gone to far but don’t worry you can still enter the DISPLAY category.
5) Enter your kit by creating an album on the R2KF Builder’s Page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1579860992075383/) on May 1st 2019 and start posting updates. Final pictures of the completed model must be posted by 12:00 PM October 31st 2019.
6) The judges ruling is final and no argument or negotiation will be entered into.
7) Have Fun!

Cheers,

Brett

Edited by Return To Kit Form

• 2 weeks later...

I'm excited about this! Right now I'm working and in school so 18-hour days and the fan on my Spray Booth died recently. So definitely this is not the perfect time for me to embark on a new build but I guess it's now or never! Also, I've never actually built a resin kit. 

11 hours ago, Gabe Q said:

I'm excited about this! Right now I'm working and in school so 18-hour days and the fan on my Spray Booth died recently. So definitely this is not the perfect time for me to embark on a new build but I guess it's now or never!

The good news is that it doesn't start until May and it ends in October so there is plenty of time :D a few minutes a day or a couplenof hours a week will have that kit finished in no time. 

Also I have had some enquiries about how to build resin kits so I'll put togethet a couple of things to help out folks who don't know. 

Here's a cheeky pic of the prizes :spiteful:

20190404_190143.thumb.jpg.2feffd17635e8ef22189c2fd25298297.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

Just now, Bolt said:

What if you don’t do Facebook?

I’m probably the only Luddite here..

You Are Not Alone:hi:

11 minutes ago, Gabe Q said:

I have a long, long ago abandoned Facebook account that I dare not reactivate for fear of "reconnecting" with those whom I'd rather stay away from. 

Lol! Maybe that’s not funny but I genuinely did lol..:D

I think I’ve alread decided which one to do. Quite a tough decision! @Return To Kit Form Is SO right, I myself have some gems that will never see the light of day and be doomed to a box prison! 

Thanks again for the inspiration!:)

18 hours ago, Bolt said:

What if you don’t do Facebook?

I’m probably the only Luddite here..

Mmm good point. I tell you what, these MW forums are where I got back into the hobby.  The whole point is to be inclusive so make a build thread in the Workshop forum and we'll take it from there. If it is okay I'll repost your images on the build page. 

Sound good?

Cheers,

Brett

14 hours ago, Bolt said:

Lol! Maybe that’s not funny but I genuinely did lol..:D

I think I’ve alread decided which one to do. Quite a tough decision! @Return To Kit Form Is SO right, I myself have some gems that will never see the light of day and be doomed to a box prison! 

Thanks again for the inspiration!:)

No problem. I just hope everyone can commit to finishing their kits - starting is the easy part!

-Brett

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2019 at 5:07 AM, Return To Kit Form said:

Mmm good point. I tell you what, these MW forums are where I got back into the hobby.  The whole point is to be inclusive so make a build thread in the Workshop forum and we'll take it from there. If it is okay I'll repost your images on the build page. 

Sound good?

Cheers,

Brett

Ya!:)

• 2 weeks later...

Great contest, thank you Brett for conceiving and implementing it!  If any experienced resin kit builders are willing to make a video tutorial while making their project, it will be much appreciated.  I'll even offer a free resin kit and/or cash prize depending upon your preference.  Please let us know if you're interested.  :hi:

Here is a link to the thread I started about the tutorial for further insight.  A variable kit tutorial would be awesome, but they require the most skill, so fixed pose is also a good place to start.  As I mentioned, I'm even happy to provide the transformable MW resin kit of your choice from my personal collection.  ;)

That’s a very tempting offer @ChristopherB ..

6 hours ago, ChristopherB said:

I'm even happy to provide the transformable MW resin kit of your choice from my personal collection.  ;)

My hands are itching for that! But I’m not sure I could juggle that into my current project load :o

A video tutorial would be mighty helpful around these parts..

Just for the fun if it..Let’s take a vote!

Cheers!

1/72 VF-11C Full Armored or..

1/72 VF-22S battroid conversion, or..

22ACE545-DA27-4547-A256-4165688CE98A.thumb.jpeg.093bbd85bddff96a95cc62ba62ede227.jpeg

Orginal Xigfrid resin Ghost9 ( 1/60 I believe..)

8663C14B-7180-4394-A94A-1044D42C2E5D.thumb.png.d3f4462dac77158bcabd49618c8bb729.png

Or this Cretins creation 1/72 RC-4E “Bunny”..

2860CAE1-5B9B-49D3-AB48-9E59927691F8.thumb.jpeg.f0bd04201555412e658b25cf6a2afb6d.jpeg

EDA127E5-7A0E-4CED-BFF5-E42E48E9744C.jpeg.b11d0cc5abf53599946a562a4222b3d6.jpeg

Or..Moscato 1/72 Norbert-Gerardo, or Moscato 1/72 Destroido Tomahawk..926FF82D-BB2C-47A6-9D88-B8D272354363.thumb.jpeg.ee1abdb56e31c26976416cf4bdb8f131.jpeg

or maybe..an Orange road 1/72 VE-1 Elint Seeker, or an original JasonC 1/72 Macross Plus Drone Bomber..have 2 of those..3C958D82-A01B-423C-B8B8-123EBBA20CF5.png.a63896d5857ecd7bbb5f984e2e935924.png

EFB5DE6C-CE6F-4C39-B73C-20A7EB3ECD66.thumb.png.893910ec3c5e53476863db3b825e9cde.pngI1DA67E54-8651-43CB-A58C-783F8971B6C7.gif.1dc14ec3e73237fc23c98c3110538c02.gif

or throw something at me as a wild card..:hi:

PS I’ve intentionally omitted several other options as I believe it would be redundant in the spirit of this competition . ( no matter how much I love the VF-4 and my Moscato Regults and Glaugs, and I don’t have a 1/48 Hasegawa VF for my resin Launch arm yet..):ph34r:

Edited by Bolt

Never even knew a kit of the drone bombers from Macross Plus existed...!

Since I'm building both the Hasegawa and the RETPPU VF-11 Thunderbolt, I'm really curious about that JasonC kit of yours.  So that one definitely gets my vote.  ^_^

Hold your horses Bolt - we have 21 Entries! Wooo!

Entrants.png.5af1dd4b96ea4b262d15428f49adfe8f.png

Although in the spirit of things I'd vote for either the Rabbit or the M+ drone :D 

Some great stuff has been dragged into the light of day so now you lot have just got to get cutting and sanding by the deadline! Because if there aren't at least 20 completions by October there's no Norbert kit - after all it's called the "Build It Competition", not the "Half Built and Painted Oops it's Gathering Dust - oh Look a Squirrel Competition"

Again good work so far but there is loads of work to be done - I'm jealous as I really struggle to build these days.

Cheers,

Brett

Edited by Return To Kit Form

Wow, so many entries, there will be a 24th soon using my kit and built by Tom, just getting the decals sorted.  I'm gonna get off my butt and build something too, just waiting for the kit to arrive.  Tom's built many resin valkyries over the years to include the VF-171, VT-1, YF-19 and YF-21 I posted to:

As the hosts of the inaugural Build it Competition Chrissy and I would like to congratulate all competitors on actually FINISHING something. After starting with a potential 21 entries we ended after 7 months (a 1 month extension was granted due to circumstances for some of our U.S. based entrants) with 6 completed resin kits.

That's 6 more kits no longer confined to the dank depths of their stash and have fulfilled their destiny of beloved dust collectors on the display shelf. 

The judging was a tough affair and we assessed across the following criteria:

1) Basic Skills (fit, surfacing and dealing with seam lines etc.
2)Execution of the idea. (how well executed was the overall look)
3) Finish. (paint, weathering etc)
4) Cool factor (how much the kit evoked the 'Ooooh: sound)

The results were extremely close with only one point separating 1st and 2nd place. There was quite a bit of debate about which kit was the sinner but in the end a decision was made. 

75282172_2552064381785641_2422824058497269760_n.jpg.944ed7b70930a4f3f98c78c4343e744c.jpg

1st Place - 1/72 Legult (Cockpit Version)

1131014993_Zentradiview.thumb.jpg.fe2c9e6f17023b88af7c2df67c7fdeb4.jpg.4d8853f7d16adf93f9c95f014cf45998.jpg

2nd Place - 1/72 Interceptor

Congratulations to Roberto Pagnotta on the competition win and Ted Ekering as runner up.

Thanks to everyone who entered. Having a completed resin kit on the bench is the true victory!

Cheers,

Brett and Chrissy

R2KF Models Australia

• 1 month later...