Post Skywalker Saga Star Wars Movies and Projects

Topic will be automatically unlocked at 07:00 AM

On 3/7/2020 at 6:30 PM, Mog said:
  Hide contents

But she lived a good and memorable life.

Same with EU Luke.

And it's certainly better than having a moment of weakness, driving your nephew to the dark side, taking your proverbial ball and running away, and then dying after Force projecting yourself over a galaxy or so away.

Plus, I'd like to believe that Luke is a little more resilient and still willing to stick his neck out whenever his friends and loved ones are in danger.

VERY true!

• 4 weeks later...

This is just a bit of random Star Wars trivia that popped up in an otherwise unrelated video, figured you might like it. Video should start right where it needs to, but in case it doesn't, the timestamp is 4:49.

Edited by kajnrig

Ahh, yeah, the Y-wing backplate? ^_^ 

Seriously, IDing random kitbash bits that were used in my favorite science fiction designs is one of my favorite pasttimes.

Edit: After watching it, I see I remembered an entirely different component. :lol: 

Edited by Chronocidal

• 4 weeks later...

Welp, Taika Waititi has been a part of The Mandalorian, as both the IG-88-type droid and as one of the directors for an ep or two.

So, he has some built-up goodwill.

I have faith in Kathleen Kennedy.  She always hires the most competent of directors...

...and then fires them before their Star Wars films are completed.  :unsure:

I have faith she will gut Taika Waititi's film, and the result will be as bland as Solo or The Rise of Skywalker.  <_<

6 hours ago, tekering said:

I have faith in Kathleen Kennedy.  She always hires the most competent of directors...

I have faith she will gut Taika Waititi's film, and the result will be as bland as Solo or The Rise of Skywalker.  <_<

Or as good as the Last Jedi....:yahoo:

19 hours ago, tekering said:

+1 for TRUTH! Kathleen only cares about making money so her formula is hiring (and firing) directors that previously made bank on a film franchise.

Gareth Edwards - Godzilla

Colin Trevorrow - Jurassic World

JJ Abrams - Star Trek

Lord & Miller - LEGO

Only exception is Rian Johnson but I think he was hired because of JJ Abrams who had praise for his work with LOOPER.

Edited by TangledThorns

It's an interesting discussion, if you or I were Kathleen Kennedy we'd like want, or have to, do the same thing. Movie making is by and large a commercial enterprise. Disney paid $4 Billion dollars for Star Wars. With that, there had better have been a return on investment - which there has been. Otherwise, guaranteed she would have been out. As long as Star Wars continues to make bank, she's in. They were a little too aggressive with plans on a Solo trilogy, Boba Fett films and other stuff that could have actually lost Disney money or not seen the type of returns they wanted, hence why the plug was pulled, quickly. 

That doesn't mean that the studio should put out creatively bankrupt movies (which is what I think that by and large the complaints are about). I mean, how do you mix making commercially viable movies while attempting new and creative things? That's rhetorical by the way, but something that the industry has always tried to balance. And for whatever reason it doesn't happen often. 

The Force Awakens - the complaint is that it was too much like "A New Hope", a vocal section of the fan base mumbles and groans, but is generally well received by critics, other fans and the casual audience

The Last Jedi - too many creative liberties taken with legacy characters and established in-universe cannon, a vocal section of the fan base has an absolute sh!t fit because it goes too far afield, well received by critics, general audiences are like "okay, sure"

The Rise of Skywalker - does it's* best with trying to reconcile a trilogies worth of disconnected plot points and ends up cementing the dislike of the sequel trilogy for said vocal section of the fan base, leaves critics generally disappointed, audiences again like "okay, sure". And the remainder of the SW fan base probably hoping new movies aren't so divisive. 

But Disney has had some products where the general consensus is positive; Rogue One, The Mandalorian, final season of The Clone Wars (I think).

Personally I don't hate what Disney has done, and I'm not in love with everything either, IMO Disney has done what they've needed to. Continued or* expanded on the Star Wars legacy of space adventure popcorn movies.

Missteps have been made for sure (certain movies, tossing out what I gather to be beloved expanded universe cannon, etc.), but these aren't the worst things to happen in the history of things happening. Sometimes I think a little perspective is missing when we talk about, well, just about anything, Star Wars included. 

-b.

*edit for spelling and grammar waaaaayyyyy after the fact

Edited by Kanedas Bike

Just to add to that. And what many are saying. KK and Co. are also the ones who've lost perspective. And it shows. Also. Someone is hired to do a good job. Some do it. And some can't pull it off.   

Personally, I'm intrigued to see what comes next. I don't really get excited about who the next writers or directors are. There's a lot of talk and a lot of hype in Hollywood. And much of it gets printed. 

Rian J is still supposedly making more SW films. But there's no clear date on any of that. And IMHO if TLJ was a better movie, he'd probably be making them already.

Let's see who actually makes the next movies. 

• 1 month later...

That sounds as stupid as removing Kate Kane as the lead in the show about her as Batwoman! As said by others, prequels about him have been done! Do they not realize there is a whole EU that still exists?

8 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

This seems like FAKE NEWS and a wasteful idea too. It could have been interesting before JJ Abrams cheapened Palpatine in RoS and practically ruined the character.

In the past (read: The Rise of Skywalker), we've seen Disney try an approach to storytelling that basically involved leaking proposals and then rolling with the ones best-received by the target audience... or, at least, the ones that garner the least negative feedback.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was what was going on here... but then, I am a massive cynic.

53 minutes ago, Thom said:

Do they not realize there is a whole EU that still exists?

Oh, I'm certain they do... but do they care?

Star Wars merchandising doesn't perform like it used to, and that makes the Expanded Universe much more disposable than it was when Star Wars was a merchandising juggernaut.  I don't doubt for a second that Disney would chuck its own Expanded Universe material in favor of an official setting replacement (theoretically) with broader audience appeal.  After the sequel trilogy boldly and dynamically sh*t itself in public, they're looking to make the Mandalorian lightning strike twice and put a few in the Wins column.

Hauling Maul: 

The EMPIRE has taken over, but they still need their packages delivered to the Outer Rim within 2 to 3 parsecs. 

And just because STORMTROOPERS are squashing down democracy, people still need their spice fix for these trying times.

In comes disgraced former SITH LORD Maul . . . and his merry band of underworld scum and villainy. . . to deliver the goods, keep the spice flowing, and solve the galaxy's logistical and supply chain needs!

Coming Soon to Disney+ On-Demand Premium Tier!

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, tekering said:

Or, rather than watching some fan's reaction to a (poorly-written) article about Doomcock's video, you could just watch the video itself.  :p

I'll just pass on all of it.

As for Erasing the sequels.  No need to bother really since I doubt anyone much cares one way or another.

9 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

I doubt anyone much cares one way or another.

Other than the obnoxious Tyrone Magnus (from the YouTube video posted above), of course.  He's "very excited."  <_<

53 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

As for Erasing the sequels.  No need to bother really since I doubt anyone much cares one way or another.

Isn't that kind of the reason they're allegedly plotting to dump the sequel trilogy in the first place?  That nobody - not even the actors who starred in it - is all that invested in the Star Wars sequel trilogy?

To a heavily merchandise-driven franchise like Star Wars, there's little-to-no immediate difference between an audience that's indifferent and one that's downright hostile.  Either way, they're not buying the merchandise and they're not stampeding into Disney's theme parks to visit the Star Wars Land there.  It's all lost revenue regardless of whether that absence of interest is motivated by antipathy or simple indifference.  Disney bought Star Wars for the merchandising revenue, and if it's underperforming then Disney's management looks REAL bad in front of the stockholders... especially since everyone believed Star Wars was as close to a Sure Thing as it gets, and you have to be pretty damned incompetent to screw up a Sure Thing.

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Isn't that kind of the reason they're allegedly plotting to dump the sequel trilogy in the first place?  That nobody - not even the actors who starred in it - is all that invested in the Star Wars sequel trilogy?

Ignoring is not the same thing as dumping.  Dumping is a divorce, ignoring is the creepy uncle at Christmas.

50 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

Ignoring is not the same thing as dumping.  Dumping is a divorce, ignoring is the creepy uncle at Christmas.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't kicking the sequel trilogy to the non-canon curb alongside Star Wars: Legends effectively "dumping" it?

Based on everything I've heard and read on the subject, isn't all of the material that was collectively rebranded as Legends officially considered to be broadly non-canonical?

If any of the rumors are actually true, this isn't ignoring or dumping, so much as taking the sequel trilogy out back, and putting it out of its misery.

What they're talking about is an in-universe retcon via time shenanigans, relegating the sequel trilogy to its own brand of the Kelvin timeline.  They didn't even give the EU that much send-off, because it was never "canon" to begin with (and it's been mentioned that certain higher ups were theoretically completely ignorant of its existence in the first place).

Now, I don't put any money on it happening, because that would be straight up surrendering to the fans, and admitting how badly they screwed up, on top of signaling that all of the "deeper meanings" and themes in that trilogy were completely insincere, and were done for no reason other than appeasing the higher powers in media, in the name of profit.

Well, surprise surprise, the profit didn't happen.  As much time and energy is spent trying to appease the most obnoxious voices, they never intended to spend any money anyway, and those in charge managed to drive away all of the people who would be stuffing their coffers hand over fist.

Star Trek and Star Wars have always been what I'd call the "twins" of science fiction mega-franchises.  They've wound up in exactly the same place, for exactly the same reason: leadership driving both franchises face-first into a brick wall in the name of silencing the whiny two-year-old in the corner who's having a conniption fit over all the other kids enjoying their toys.  And in their ignorance, the powers that be thought taking all the toys away from the other kids and giving them to the whiny child would fix it... No, the child never had any interest in the toys in the first place.  They just didn't want the other kids enjoying them either.

Edited by Chronocidal

The problem with the sequel trilogy is the same issue with most of JJ Abrams’ stuff:  scratch below the surface, and there‘s nothing else there.  No depth of character, nothing more to the story but moving plot forward.

Contrast it with animated Clone Wars.  Tossed in a never-referred to apprentice for Anakin and slightly retconned an earlier take on Clone Wars.

BUT it created rich characters, made you give a massive damn about the clones, and ADDED and gave more depth to the story tapestry of Star Wars.

If they had a coherent plan for the sequel trilogy, they could have made a more compelling story for Rey.  Has a longing to know who her parents/family are, discovers she’s Main Bad Guy’s progeny, but rejects her “destiny” to forge her own path.

That gets lost in all the plotting for all three sequel movies.