Post Skywalker Saga Star Wars Movies and Projects

Topic will be automatically unlocked at 07:00 AM

15 hours ago, jvmacross said:

https://www.inverse.com/article/62107-star-wars-high-republic-timeline-characters-yoda-maz-kanata-jabba

Heard of the "Old Republic".....what the heck is the "High Republic"?  Does Disney not own the rights to the "Old Republic" stuff?

Presumably the Old Republic didn't call itself that, and they're worried about audiences being confused.

• 2 weeks later...

I figured , as more and more info about this begins to trickle in (and eventually flood), we might as well keep it separate from that LAST trilogy. Phew! I've seen a few articles and links from fellow MW's , this might be a good place for them to congregate..

First off, i hear Kathleen Kennedy is not on the forefront of these projects. "So long and thanks for all the fish..!" Secondly, the rumor is either KOTOR era or High Republic era. I'm sure there will be confirmation forthcoming in the not too distant future ( gotta keep those fans hyped!). Some speculation about post episode IX stories have fluttered around, but i think disney wants to point SW in the opposite direction and hit the FTL button. More likely comic book territory.

Obviously there is much opportunity for mouse house to interweave old and new . And since we've already seen new force powers and concepts, expect more!;)

Oh ya, and supposedly ole George Lucas himself is going to be a consultant on these projects...:hi:

And there's this..https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/star-wars-new-movie-taika-waititi-thor-jojo-rabbit-mandalorian-disney-rise-skywalker-a9287886.html

Edited by Bolt

I'd trust JJ a lot more than RJ. RJ can't even write a good chase scene... Case in point, the Radus' escape pods were FTL capable and apparent;y went unseen by the First Order. But not even that, knowing only one ship was tracking them, why didn't the Resistance Fleet just scatter..?

My hope, give it to someone else...

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

Here's the offical announcement trailer they put out. If you want to know why you have a bad feeling about this just pause it at the 1:23 mark and read what the idiots in the Star Wars Story Group have brainstormed for this.

Given the title, I'm actually a little surprised at the lack of 420 jokes about the creative staff.

• jvmacross changed the title to Post Skywalker Saga Star Wars Movies and Projects
24 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

Tried to watch the video and couldn't.  Skipping through it boils down to "we are going to make more Star Wars movies and are looking for ideas"

They're not necessarily making more movies. They're making their own books to make movies out of.  Cuz KOTOR and all the pre-Disney stuff are taboo Legends.

24 minutes ago, azrael said:

Cuz KOTOR and all the pre-Disney stuff are taboo Legends.

Bingo! 

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

The new core villain for Star Wars is called "denial"? :db:

Oh man. Didn't catch that one. I pray not  :(

ya., it looked like a big mash up panic meeting. I'm sure everyone at the door was told their job is on the line. Then Disney made a pr vid out of it. And meanwhile Disney Chief executive Bob Iger makes a surprise exit. 

1 hour ago, azrael said:

They're not necessarily making more movies. They're making their own books to make movies out of.  Cuz KOTOR and all the pre-Disney stuff are taboo Legends.

Then I doubly don't care.  Star Wars needs visual spectacle IMHO and it is impossible to get that in a book.  

56 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

Then I doubly don't care.  Star Wars needs visual spectacle IMHO and it is impossible to get that in a book.  

See.. I thought it was doing just fine running entirely on books for a good couple of decades.

In fact, I'm moving back to those, because the sequel trilogy demonstrated something to me very clearly: The current people running this franchise have no capacity to generate a compelling original idea, flat out.1

The new movies were a vomit-inducing blend of ideas already explored in the EU, and waste that I wouldn't want to ruin a dumpster with, and I don't expect this to be any different.  The only reason they shipped the EU off on a bus was so they could bastardize the whole thing and cherry pick the bits they wanted to mash into their custom disaster blend.

If I'm going to be force-fed (hah) old plot points, I would rather just experience them in their original un-sullied format in the EU.

I've basically hit my "Nemesis" point with Star Wars now- the point at which the new material becomes such utter shite that I have to cut off my investment, and carry on enjoying the parts of the franchise that were, and still are, good.

1- I haven't watched the Mandalorian yet, so I can't judge that, but either way, it doesn't sound like either Favreau or Filoni are involved in this slow-motion trainwreck.

Edited by Chronocidal

1 minute ago, Chronocidal said:

See.. I thought it was doing just fine running entirely on books for a good couple of decades.

Same here. I was doing good on EU books and comics for decades. They weren't perfect, by any means. But in comparison... :bigshok:

Just to back up my statement, exhibit A from November 2019
Lucasfilm’s Kathleen Kennedy on ‘Rise of Skywalker’ and the Future of ‘Star Wars’

Every one of these movies is a particularly hard nut to crack. There’s no source material. We don’t have comic books. We don’t have 800-page novels. ...

There's literally a treasure trove of material from pre-Disney, but you know, it's pre-Disney. Pre-people-with-actual-imaginations.

34 minutes ago, azrael said:

Just to back up my statement, exhibit A from November 2019
Lucasfilm’s Kathleen Kennedy on ‘Rise of Skywalker’ and the Future of ‘Star Wars’

There's literally a treasure trove of material from pre-Disney, but you know, it's pre-Disney. Pre-people-with-actual-imaginations.

And then there's the issue of kicking down to ole boy Lucas if they use any pre Disney material..

4 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

The current people running this franchise have no capacity to generate a compelling original idea, flat out.1

1- I haven't watched the Mandalorian yet, so I can't judge that, but either way, it doesn't sound like either Favreau or Filoni are involved in this slow-motion trainwreck.

As terrible as the sequel trilogy turned out to be, there were more original ideas present than in The Mandalorian (which is entirely recycled ideas from other genres).1

1- Of course, recycled ideas from other genres is infinitely preferable to recycled ideas from other Star Wars movies.  <_<