DOOM: ANNIHILATION (2019)

Old_Nash

Oh no, not another Doom movie!

From director Tony Giglio, the visionary behind such direct-to-video greats as Soccer Dog: the Movie!

The cast list is pretty uninspiring stuff too.  I'm not sure if the biggest credit is "background character in Captain America: the First Avenger" or the brother in My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Wait, this one is actually based on the game? I reserve my horror.

I see no ripping and tearing berzerker-packing man-and-a-half here.

... oh sh*t... yeah, this is gonna be based on one of the games all right.  Specifically, the steaming turdwaffle that was Doom 3.  The released portion of the cast list credits Dominic Mafham as Dr. Malcolm "My Name is a Spoiler" Betruger.  

EDIT: I guess if you're going to make a hammy direct-to-video Doom movie, Doom 3 would absolutely be the way to do it.

wow, this actually looks worse than the last one.

Well, it is direct-to-video...

Edited by Seto Kaiba

The trailer is blocked for me right now, but when I saw the thread title I just automatically thought this was a new Marvel movie about Doctor Doom.

I'm not a fan of the Doom video game franchise, so a movie based on that didn't even occur to me.

Even as oversaturated as superhero/Marvel movies are, I think I'd rather see a Doctor Doom movie.

This movie needed to take place before the 2016 reboot (prequel), include ALL the monsters/demons from that game (no weak SFX budget), and needs to end with the marine on the table the way the 2016 game begins. Would tie things together and would be really cool. But they didnt/wont, because Hollywood and the franchise owners are stupid. 

Edited by easnoddy

It seems more based on the games then the previous Rock film, but that's not saying much, and it still looks pretty terrible.

No stars. Bad effects. Straight to DVD. Why was this green-lit again? Also, is this a sequel or even prequel to original 2005 Rock film? Because I don't think it's connected. One of the guys in the trailer says they opened a portal to hell, like in the games, but that wasn't the story in the 2005 Rock film. In the 2005 film it was about some stupid ass, bullshit, ancient alien virus or something, that, one again stupidly, turned you into Doomguy/superhuman is you were a "good person", or turned you into a creature slightly resembling demons from the Doom games if you were a bad person. Or if you're the Rock, kind of neither, because he was the star and ended up being the main bad guy, and they weren't just going to be cool and turn him into a Hell Knight or Mancubus, or something, so he just kind of grew goofy little fangs and had a mean look on his face. What a crap show.

Funny enough, Bethesda just yesterday savagely posted they have ZERO INVOLVEMENT with this film, they are, thankfully, focused on the next phenomenal looking Doom game.

Yeah not the doom movie we deserve.

Even as oversaturated as superhero/Marvel movies are, I think I'd rather see a Doctor Doom movie.

Yeah, if a movie based on the Doom video game franchise is going to be made it really needs to be a big-budget action movie based on Doom (2016).

Doom 3 was just terrible... they tried to turn a franchise known for fast-paced action gameplay into a survival horror game.

(As far as a Doctor Doom movie, it'd almost certainly have higher production values than even a properly made Doom movie... Marvel's still a very hot ticket in Hollywood.)

This movie needed to take place before the 2016 reboot (prequel), include ALL the monsters/demons from that game (no weak SFX budget), and needs to end with the marine on the table the way the 2016 game begins. Would tie things together and would be really cool. But they didnt/wont, because Hollywood and the franchise owners are stupid. 

Doom 3 was the reboot though... even if it didn't stick.

Doom (2016) subtly - and by "subtly" I mean "in the text dumps the game never gives you any incentive to read" - indicates that it's a stealth sequel to the original Doom (1993), Doom II, and Doom 64 with no connection to Doom 3 apart from a pair of easter eggs.  (Among other things, the son of the betrayer who got the Doom Slayer's home reality conquered and absorbed into Hell is strongly implied to have become the Icon of Sin... the final boss of Doom II, who got a brief cameo in the 2016 game.)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Also, I'm noticing many jumping to the conclusion "THIS IS ABSOLUTE crap" despite the fact that this is merely a 30 second teaser that barely shows that much of the film.

Outside of the anime industry, getting a direct-to-video release is usually concrete assurance of poor quality in and of itself.

Doubly so if it's a direct-to-video horror movie, which usually entails SyFy Original Feature-grade suck.  Doom: Annihilation is a direct-to-video horror movie rebooting a box office flop AND based loosely on a video game that was itself rather poorly received.  

Also, trailers are where you're supposed to wow your audience with the quality of your workmanship and try to convince them the film is worth seeing.  This trailer makes the film look exactly like what it is... a low-budget direct-to-video horror movie hovering somewhere between Starship Troopers 3: Marauder and an episode of Red Dwarf in terms of the level of the visual effects.