Dull aluminum paint?

David Hingtgen

(Besides the Alclad named as such). I'm basically looking for "very pale metallic grey"----or a very flat, rough silver.   The exact look I'm going for is rough (sand)cast aluminum parts---like an engine block etc.   Any suggestions?  Most silvers are too smooth/reflective, and most metallic greys are too dark and too glittery. (Slightly glittery would be ok).  Looking for a spray if possible, or something hand-brushable.  

Really, those sand-textured spray paints would be almost perfect, if not so coarse, and in silver...

I found that Vallejo Metal Color Dull Aluminium looks quite good. If you want an even duller look, you could give it a slight overspray with light grey. Vallejos are made airbrush-ready, but they work good with a brush, too. 

32128606878_ecb517266e_z.jpg

There's also Humbrol's aluminium, but it's darker, and I'm not happy with Humbrol's current formula.

Another option is to rub graphite powder over a flat light grey base. 

Edited by electric indigo

It's the 1/48 Hasegawa Draken, a great kit.

45290619745_9e5a0631ca_z.jpg

Note that the Vallejo Aluminium contains some kind of flat medium that tends to clump at the bottom of the bottle, so make sure to stir the paint well instead of just shaking it before use, otherwise you have a very shiny aluminium.

• 1 month later...

The cheat I’ve been using lately are silver sharpies. If you dull coat them they still have a bit of luster, but have a smooth look and not grainy like a lot of paints. It fast and non messy and cheaper than painting engine or even exhaust type parts and looks very believable for scale.