Venom: The Last Dance - October 25, 2024

sh9000

The first one was a fun, 'what-if' version of venom, and I enjoyed Hardy/Venom's performance.

Hope this one builds/grows instead of hitting the proverbial "I'm a sequel" Punji-trap

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm looking forward to this.  I really enjoyed the first one; it wasn't without it's problems, but I thought it was probably about as close to the comics as it could be without Spider-Man, and Tom Hardy was a delight to watch in it.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

I still hadn't seen the first movie, lol. Is it good?

Let me give you some advice. Like you I put off watching it. I didn't expect it to be good, it had no business being good, but after about ten minutes I went from thinking "Hey, this ain't that bad." to "Damn, this is actually pretty good!". It's not mindblowing, but Eddie Brock's interactions with the Venom symbiote make this film.

It might be weird to say, but the first film essentially had a feel of a  buddy cop film like Lethal Weapon, Tango & Cash, or Rush Hour and it really works. I'd definately recommend it.

2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Yes. Don't get me wrong, it has its share of issues, but (especially with Tom Harding absolutely selling the notion that he's infected with an alien parasite) it's mostly comic book nitpicking and the sort of problems you might expect trying to tell a Venom origin story without Spider-Man. It's still an ultimately very entertaining film

Just watched the trailer.  It looks like they figured out everything good from the first movie and doubled down on it.  I am absolutely down for more Symbiote fun!

The only thing I really wished the first movie did better was explaining why Venom was different from the rest of his kind.  IIRC the Venom symbiote is considered criminally insane by the rest of its species for its wishes to bond with a host, instead of using them up and discarding them when done.

33 minutes ago, CoryHolmes said:

IIRC the Venom symbiote is considered criminally insane by the rest of its species for its wishes to bond with a host, instead of using them up and discarding them when done.

Yeah, that was the explanation in the late '90s, anyway.

More recent stories have mess with the origin of the symbiotes quite a bit, though, and not entirely for the better IMHO.  Now, basically at the dawn of time a god named Knull created the symbiotes out of the void for... reasons.  Then he did a bunch of bad stuff, destroying worlds and trying to kill the Celestials, until a bunch of symbiotes decided that Knull was a jerk and built a planet they called Klyntar to trap Knull forever.  Those symbiotes called themselves the Agents of the Cosmos and were basically good guys, but they were so afraid of accidentally waking Knull that they kicked all the not-so-good symbiotes off the planet.  Those feral symbiotes became predators feared throughout the universe. 

Venom was apparently born on Klyntar and was going to be an Agent of the Cosmos, but the Kree discovered Klyntar and harvested a couple symbiotes, including Venom, for use in a super soldier program.  His time with the Kree and subsequent hosts corrupted him, and he eventually fell in with a group of feral symbiotes.  Those were the symbiotes who decided he was insane and stuck him in a jar that was later opened by Spider-Man during the Secret War.

In the movie when Eddie was expecting Venom to be all bad ass, didn’t Venom  say compared to other symbiots he was the equivalent of Eddie to other humans...basically calling himself a loser? I remember laughing at that revelation. It was towards the end of the movie before the final confrontation.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

21 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Yeah, that was the explanation in the late '90s, anyway.

More recent stories have mess with the origin of the symbiotes quite a bit, though, and not entirely for the better IMHO.  Now, basically at the dawn of time a god named Knull created the symbiotes out of the void for... reasons.  Then he did a bunch of bad stuff, destroying worlds and trying to kill the Celestials, until a bunch of symbiotes decided that Knull was a jerk and built a planet they called Klyntar to trap Knull forever.  Those symbiotes called themselves the Agents of the Cosmos and were basically good guys, but they were so afraid of accidentally waking Knull that they kicked all the not-so-good symbiotes off the planet.  Those feral symbiotes became predators feared throughout the universe. 

Venom was apparently born on Klyntar and was going to be an Agent of the Cosmos, but the Kree discovered Klyntar and harvested a couple symbiotes, including Venom, for use in a super soldier program.  His time with the Kree and subsequent hosts corrupted him, and he eventually fell in with a group of feral symbiotes.  Those were the symbiotes who decided he was insane and stuck him in a jar that was later opened by Spider-Man during the Secret War.

... yeah, Imma stick with the "criminally insane" version tyvm <_<

• 2 months later...
  • David Hingtgen changed the title to Venom: Let There Be Carnage
On 5/10/2021 at 9:25 AM, TangledThorns said:

I'm a non comic book guy and I thought Venom was highly entertaining. Just sit down, turn your brain off, and enjoy the movie. You will like it.:good:

Eh, Kraven was more viscous when wearing that particular spider anyway.  Since they've changed origin stories, it makes more sense to hold off until after the team-up so it's more an "endorsement" and not the "smear campaign" it was originally designed for.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • sh9000 changed the title to Venom: The Last Dance - October 25, 2024
  • azrael changed the title to Venom: Let There Be Carnage