How often do you transform your Valks?

Foblander

Hi guys. Just wondering. How often do you guys transform your Valks? Usually  I will transform my Valks immediately when I get them and I leave them in battroid mode for over a year before I transform them again. Lol Sometimes for a few years without transformation.. lol I guess I get nervous about transforming them because it takes me a while since I try to be extra careful and follow the transformation videos.

I have never transformed my DX VF-31C since I bought it early January (just displayed) so I am pretty excited to transform it today to see what all the rave is about :)

I may transform them into another mode when I set them up, then again later if I change their accessories (like adding fast-packs), or if I have another figure to add and need to re-arrange my display. Generally I leave them in a given mode and pose though. I think my Frontier shelf hasn't been changed at all for like a year now (since I finished the squad).

I don’t have time to fiddle with my valks so I typically display them in fighter mode. Most of the time that’s my favorite mode anyway :)

I have probably transformed 2 or 3 of my valks over the last 10 years haha

Depends on the Valk. I transformed my vf-25F immediately, just to see it in the different forms, then back to fighter for display. My RVF-25, however, I never transformed, as I really only like the fighter mode, though I suspect I'll have to eventually partially transform it to put the supers on once I make enough shelf space for the full display (fighter+ghosts). The two I've had the hardest time picking a mode for have been my vf-19 and my 31C, as I'm a big fan of all three modes and I don't have three of either!

I’ve hardly transformed anything in a long time. Like 6years.  Mostly keep a few in fighter mode displayed and a few in battroid mode. 

I usuall prefer fighter mode , never transformed my VF-19 advanced yet, not any of my YF-29’s or YF-30..I’ve transformed most of my VF-25’s once or twice  at most.(but not the YF-25 or the VF-25A)

A few of my old yammies have been transformed several times , many years ago..lol

Everything else is untouched, boxed up and stored!

Edited by Bolt

I prefer my valkyries in fighter mode. As such, I generally never transform them.

There are a few exceptions to this:

1.) I have one transformed into battroid mode to wear the VF-1 GBP armor

2.) I don't consider putting on Super/Strike Parts or Fast Packs an actual transformation, but sometimes you have to extend the legs and such to get those parts attached

3.) I have a Yamato v2 1/60 VF-1 I got without box from eBay.  I use it as my ZOOM ZOOM BANG BANG play-with toy and allow myself to transform without feeling guilty.

I actively PLAY with my "toys" (even my prized DX YF-19) lately about once a week or so (although I don't have them all out at once).  That's why I bought the knock off VF-1S and HMRs.  I bought the DX because it was so freakin awesome and my favorite valk, and it's been on the shelf and played with just as much as the others.  I transform my toynami valks at work nearly every day, and despite being cheap and kinda flimsy (and having to do a major repair on one), they've held up well.  I cautiously let my 5yr old daughter play with my HMRs, and she was the inspiration for one of my best poses when she balled the thing up and knocked off some of the Fext armor.  I actually dropped my HMR VF-1J Hikaru from about 7ft up onto a hardwood floor when it fell off the shelf.  :shok: Didn't hurt it a bit!

I am constantly surprised (and suspicious) when I see really old valks for sale that have never been taken out of the box or "taken out once for inspection and never/once transformed."  How did you resist the temptation?  And why did you buy it if you didn't want to play with it?  I guess I just don't understand the concept of collecting for... value? keeping perfect packaging?  I'm the same with cars.  I've had some classics, sports cars, and currently own a sweet little coupe, but I actually DRIVE them.  I put snow tires on a rare Toyota MR2 Spyder and drove it in the winter as it was my daily driver.  Surprisingly, it was the best car I've ever driven in the snow!  The point of a car is to drive it, just as the point of a toy is to play with it.  At least imho. 

I'm not going to fault anyone for collecting and not playing with their toys despite my lack of understanding, but I would like to encourage everyone... GET YOUR TOYS OUT AND PLAY WITH THEM! :yahoo:

9 minutes ago, Pontus said:

I'm not going to fault anyone for collecting and not playing with their toys despite my lack of understanding, but I would like to encourage everyone... GET YOUR TOYS OUT AND PLAY WITH THEM!

I'm all for this, technically it's what I consider when I'm reposing them to be, but that's me. Which reminds me I really need to rearrange the mantle to get the Quarter up there in ship mode.

Generally every few months or so. I operate on the basis that with all the different modes, it would be a shame not to transform them, and that if they're going to "wear" over time I'd prefer that they do so evenly. This is partly informed by my RVF-25 which I picked up in Jungle Akihabara and had discolored slightly in a "pattern" that makes me think it was left in battroid for too long.

Not often enough?

Usually when I first get a Valk or other toy, I’ll transform it a bit.

But between life, family, and other commitments, I find that the only other time I “play” with the toys is when I rearrange a display or get more display space (or when a natural disaster, errant bump, kid, or Father Time knocks the toys out of whack).

Once I get a pose locked in, it’s very rare for me to want to change it up.

Plus with the way I am, I need to carve out a good chunk of time to get the poses all perfectly lined up and angled just the way I like ‘em.

I’m OCD like that!

For new toys:

They get displayed at my office in fighter mode for like a week, next week is GERWALK, and then battroid.

For older toys:

I usually keep a couple of them at the office and I transform them when I get into a boring call or meeting (better than staring at the ceiling)

At home most of them are in Yetistands (dual or solo) in any type of configuration. I rearrange a stand once a week wich usually involves transforming one or more Valks

The first of almost everything I buy gets used the most (not the 262, I hate transforming that thing.). For instance my old Yamato VF-1A Hikaru.  Since I only had that one for a very long while it got transformed a lot.  Once I had at least three VF-1’s (I’m somewhere in the 20’s now) it wasn’t necessary to transform it unless I wanted a specific look with a specific livery.  In that instance it settled on fighter squad formation with Max and Kakizaki. After that it becomes a game of reposing the one that assumed whichever form I’ve given it.

2 hours ago, Mog said:

Not often enough?

Usually when I first get a Valk or other toy, I’ll transform it a bit.

But between life, family, and other commitments, I find that the only other time I “play” with the toys is when I rearrange a display or get more display space (or when a natural disaster, errant bump, kid, or Father Time knocks the toys out of whack).

Once I get a pose locked in, it’s very rare for me to want to change it up.

Plus with the way I am, I need to carve out a good chunk of time to get the poses all perfectly lined up and angled just the way I like ‘em.

I’m OCD like that!

This. Totally this 100%. 

Everything gets transformed at least once when I receive it to make sure everything seated properly to avoid unnecessary stress on any part.  Following that, it depends on what I have out at the time.  My HMR cubical toy gets transformed about once a week.

I treat my valks as toys.  I may not give them all the attention they deserve, but since I've built my collection from Chunky's and mostly pre-owned v1 Yamatos, I don't mind transforming them.  I actually get more nervous about my HMR valks since they are smaller and feel more delicate.

Really depends on what valk it is. I used to transform my chunky anytime I felt/looked at it. It was so simple and robust to transform...

other than the vf-1, I would transform the valks when I had the time to look at jenius’s videos beforehand. I simply can’t remember the steps :p 

Another reason to get more than one copy so you can display all modes, but that’s the lazy way haha...

Edited by seti88

Mostly never....I used to, in the Yamato days and early Frontier period, then completely stopped, as you always end up with sractches, stress marks (no matter how careful you are, you'll get stress marks....I'm an utter maniac, when it comes to stress marks on all my figures, and can spot the most innocuous ones eyes closed...). Anyway, I mostly prefer to display them in Fighter mode...so I've stopped transforming all the 1/60.

The only ones I do transform nowadays are the HMR but that's mostly it ( I did also transform the DX 1/48 VF-1J.....a pleasure to pose....)

MY Yammie YF-19 just got her Superpack/Fold booster upgrade. Its the first time I've touched her since getting her into a nice tight Fighter mode after she arrived [Purchased used+transformed]

For V2 Yamato I've got a Roy VF-1S, Hikaru VF-1A, Max VF-1A, and two VF-1A CFs. Roy, Max and Hikaru have been in fighter mode since I got them, but the two CFs have been transformed to each mode; one is currently in VSTOL mode, the other is back in Fighter. This one got swooshed around a lot until I broke down and started collecting HMR... now she sits there as much as the rest. Still need a Kakizaki... [All DYRL, all purchased used+transformed, Roy has Cracked Shoulders]

My VF-31C has been transformed once just to tighten-up fighter mode, and I waited for her Superpacks to arrive so I could apply them at the same time. She gets swooshed about regularly, but hasn't been transformed since

However my HMR get transformed and messed with all the time

How often? Never. I'll do an initial inspection. Then locked/packed away. I'll transform my loose ones every so often. I have 2 loose 1/60 V2s, and a bunch of joke machines. But before all these Yamatos.... I used to transform a few of my 1/55s. I have also thought about selling most of my collection. But then I change my mind. LOL

Every time I pick up a valk, I can't resist the temptation to transform.  If it breaks, it's an excuse for me to try to improve it!  If I wanted static display pieces, I'd just buy 3 copies of the variable model.  I buy the 1/60's and DX's for perfect transformation and it's just so cool seeing it go between all the modes.  Fighter is generally my favorite mode though, so after I get my fix, the valks usually end up back in fighter mode.

I think my first vf-25A (first modern valk, I purchased) I've transformed at least 100 times.  Really a testament to the design of the valk that there's nothing really wrong with it outside of floppy hips, which have their fix with a periodic adjustment. (when I'm feeling braver, I'll probably try the silicone padding trick to fix it for good)  It's currently being repainted into low-viz US navy colors since it was getting jealous of the 31A's awesome scheme :)

Never.  I leave them in fighter mode.  I did, however, transform my old V1 valks from Yamato.  Oh, and I did transform my 25th anniversary Vf-1j a few times but that's because I got a couple of them for dirt cheap.   The rest are just too expensive to take a chance on. 

Every now and again when I feel like fiddling with something I'll transform a valk but on the older stuff once I find a pose I like I usually stick with it. I have most of my valks in fighter mode at the moment, been thinking about doing a full change over soon.

Hmm. My most transformed Valks are my Max VF-1A,Alto VF-25 renewal and Arcadia YF-19. My VF-4, Kairos and Milia VF-1S have never left fighter mode (Milia is in storage as I’ve run out of space). Having little kids around means the detolf stays locked mostly but I occasionally take one out to refine a pose.