The best SDF-1 Transformable figure (Not model kit)

spacemanspiff

Hello,

I'm rather new to this whole Macross/Robotech awesomeness.  I'm watching all the Robotech on Amazon Prime Video right now and just consuming the video games and purchased the Bandai DX VF-J.  So much to love here.

I'm looking to get my hand son a transformable SDF-1, but have no idea how many versions there are and if they are any good.  Size does not matter to me (in this case).  Any help is appreciated.

"Good" is relative.  If you've been watching the television series you're most likely going to be more of a fan of the TV version SDF-1.  In which case the Megahouse Cosmo Fleet SDF-1 is probably best though it may not be easy to get anymore.  http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=9078

You'll just have to watch out for the little antenna which are easy to lose/break.

The problem is there aren't many to choose from either and they become rare fast.  The Cosmo Fleet one is sitting at roughly $200 for a six inch toy.  And the Arcadia version sumyumgoy mentioned is going to be $600!

Edited by Mommar

4 minutes ago, easnoddy said:

How old is the kid?  I wouldn't spend $300 on this "toy" for a kid younger than 15.  Its meant to be handled delicately.  You can get the Bandai/Matchbox SDF-1 off Ebay for around $150 complete, thats a good kids toy.

It's not for a kid. It said "hand son"

Back on topic, I myself am a fan of the TV show, and for me the Megahouse one is a perfect display piece. I would definitely recommend it 

2 hours ago, Mommar said:

"Good" is relative.  If you've been watching the television series you're most likely going to be more of a fan of the TV version SDF-1.  In which case the Megahouse Cosmo Fleet SDF-1 is probably best though it may not be easy to get anymore.  http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=9078

You'll just have to watch out for the little antenna which are easy to lose/break.

The problem is there aren't many to choose from either and they become rare fast.  The Cosmo Fleet one is sitting at roughly $200 for a six inch toy.  And the Arcadia version sumyumgoy mentioned is going to be $600!

Thanks for all the feedback.  After a quick ebay search, the above is most true.  I'd prefer a more premium SDF-1 like the Arcadia/Yamato, but the cost is so prohivative.   This Macross awesomeness is costly.

Just now, spacemanspiff said:

HLJ = Hobby Link Japan.  I see thay have the 1/3000 SDF-1 MACROSS (MACROSS: DO YOU REMEMBER LOVE?) for $349.

What does PF stand for?

PF is Premium Finish.

For the SDF-1 that means panel lining, matte topcoat, paint applied so there's no sticker sheet, and glow-in-the-dark red/green applied all over to make the windows glow.

Take a look at @jenius's review here: http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=4389

Arcadia-PF-SDF-1-12.jpg

Thank you all for the feedback.  Lots of good info here.  I'm gonna invesitiagte a bit more and see if I can afford one of these guys.  The SDF-1 is so iconic and the maguffin that drive Protoculture or Robotechnology.  I just wish there were more options for this guy.

Oh joy!  I've scored a NEW Arcadia SDF-1 PF for $620 shipped on ebay.  I am rather excited and thank you all for giving me the research materials to find this gem.  I'll post pics once it arrives.

I'm hoping to 3D print some tiny VFs to place around this guy.  We shall see if I can make anything that small.

tiny vf.jpg

2 hours ago, spacemanspiff said:

Oh joy!  I've scored a NEW Arcadia SDF-1 PF for $620 shipped on ebay.  I am rather excited and thank you all for giving me the research materials to find this gem.  I'll post pics once it arrives.

I'm hoping to 3D print some tiny VFs to place around this guy.  We shall see if I can make anything that small.

tiny vf.jpg

Congrats! That’s a great piece to start a Macross collection with! Look forward to your pics and see how those Valks turn out. 

6 hours ago, spacemanspiff said:

Anyone know where I can purchase a landing gear for the Arcadia 1/3000 SDF-1?  Or a better flight stand?

I use 4" or 6" Flightpose stands, they are perfect. there was a slight mark left from the rubber but easily removed, and if you put some tiny squares of plastic (like the bags that valks come in) there will be zero problems.

Cool. I have a 6" Flightpose stand and will try it when this baby arrives.  Thanks for the feedback.

I've also been searching for some tiny fighters to display with the SDF-1.  I found some that are between 2-3 inches long (I know that is still too big for true scale).  I'm hoping putting these fighters in the foreground will just add to the display.

IMG_20190226_083631.jpg

IMG_20190226_083609.jpg

1 hour ago, spacemanspiff said:

I've also been searching for some tiny fighters to display with the SDF-1.  I found some that are between 2-3 inches long (I know that is still too big for true scale).  I'm hoping putting these fighters in the foreground will just add to the display.

IMG_20190226_083631.jpg

IMG_20190226_083609.jpg

I think those could work well. Actual scale Valks would be too small to really enjoy seeing in a display to me. 

This is what I have:

Macross_SDF-1_DSCN3619.jpg.d395186785ee97d7673992da7b949327.jpg

just need to work on some stands to have them displayed higher. 

49 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I think those could work well. Actual scale Valks would be too small to really enjoy seeing in a display to me. 

This is what I have:

Macross_SDF-1_DSCN3619.jpg.d395186785ee97d7673992da7b949327.jpg

just need to work on some stands to have them displayed higher. 

Is the GERWALK one from a pencil sharpener?  I found one on ebay, but I can't gauge the scale.