Question for 3D drafters/printers

edstuff

So I know how to draft a little bit because I took 3 semesters of AutoCAD. I'd like to get into 3D modeling/printing but the closest free software to CAD that I have found is draftsite. And that only 2D. I downloaded sketchup but the commands are way different as is the view. Does anyone know of a free download that is similar to AutoCAD that I can use to 3D print? 

I work as a Mechanical Engineer, and have worked with several professional CAD programs including AutoCAD (back in 2004 though).

I wouldn't use AutoCAD as a baseline for 3D CAD programs, their UI (at least when I used it) is vastly different from anything else. It seems to be optimized for Architectural and 2D work.

I'd try and get used to sketchup, or try and get a student license for something more professional (like Solidworks, CREO (formerly PRO/Engineer), or Catia. 

I still use my old, expired, ACAD license and am now starting to look into Fusion 360.  ACAD is still a pretty capable program in its own right and I have been happy with the models I turn out, though I can see the appeal of other packages.  The biggest thing keeping me from taking the leap is transferring my models over.

I can vouch for Rhinoceros 3D being very capable, and on the lower end of the cost spectrum.  The shape modeling tools are very powerful, but I remember the tools for defining curved surfaces having some difficult quirks to them.

If you're interested in trying out other types of software, I believe you can still get Gmax (a cut-down gaming-focused 3D Studio Max derivative) for free, or if you want to dive in headfirst, I was able to register for a student copy of the full 2018 3D Studio Max recently for free as well (though I'm not quite understanding what limits are on the license yet).

I've used both Gmax and 3DS Max for a long time for game modeling, and they have no trouble generating the geometry files that 3D printing software likes to use.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use AutoCAD for my 3D modeling work.  You can get a free student license of the full, current version.

I also took a few semesters of AutoCAD back in high school, and the basics really haven't changed in the past 20 years.  It was really just a matter of learning a few new commands to start using it for 3D modeling.

Edited by Valkyrie