Which Yamato 1/60 V2 are safe - regarding shoulder joint issue

kkx

Seen a link to anymoon.com that list out which version is safe. Been trying to look for it again for a few days on and off.

Just spend an hour looking at Julius' blog site and here hunting for that chart. The search function is not helping much. It is getting frustrating.

Can anyone help me out, please? Thanks.

I think this is Jenius new list which includes the box art for easy recognition.

Yamato-Arcadia-VF-1-Releases-4K-1.jpg 

Also no offense meant. But for quick question like this, if ever you didn’t see an existing thread specific to VF-1’s, it’s best to post it in the TOYS FAQ thread. So it’s less clutter. ;)

That list states red text which are the ones to avoid. For me, it's hard to see the red text. It looks black with just a slight red outline. Might wanna change it to full red for the vision impaired like me. I'm on a chromebook running chrome.

958331690_Screenshot2019-02-12at21_53_53.png.bbbc31b9f5242096a5f0ed7d1990c116.png

Edited by wmkjr

1 hour ago, wmkjr said:

That list states red text which are the ones to avoid. For me, it's hard to see the red text. It looks black with just a slight red outline. Might wanna change it to full red for the vision impaired like me. I'm on a chromebook running chrome.

Agreed, I added that pic in the last update and wasn't happy with the red either. Whenever I get my Arcadia Anniversary valk I'll update to make the red brighter and add a footnote about reissues that were made in the same box but I think all the reissues in the same box were of valks that were already known to be safe.

Another thing worth noting, no Yamato V2 (or probably Arcadia toy) is truly SAFE, all of them have probably cracked at that shoulder for somebody. It's a fairly poor design and caution should always be used.

31 minutes ago, jenius said:

As was said when the list was published, I don't buy each variant, if you have better info, I appreciate it. Please elaborate on what is wrong. Version type? Safety of shoulders?

the weatherings i understand having errors as not many own them. 

but roy tv you're familiar with it,  we were both on MW at the time it released and i think you covered them in good detail when they released.  

i'm pretty sure it was just an easily missed typo. the error for roy tv was the release date: 2008,

roy tv released in 2010.  just to help you recall, yamato changed boxes from clam shell style lids to having non lid box on roy tv, those non lid boxes definitely did not appear in 2008.

it released alongside the hikaru piloted roy tv white vf-1s with TV colors supers set.    

the weathering max 1a and kaki 1a are 2.2.   no rainbow canopy for either and 1/48 style crotches. they came out around the same period as the repackaged max and kaki dyrl bundles with super and strike taped boxes similar to the hikaru piloted roy vf-1s with tv supers combo.

yamato also released valks with old packaging as you mentioned above during 2010.  i have a complete list of them but need to dig through my collection in storage to confirm which i can't at the moment.    

Edited by davidwhangchoi
typos myself

1 hour ago, davidwhangchoi said:

the weatherings i understand having errors as not many own them. 

but roy tv you're familiar with it,  we were both on MW at the time it released and i think you covered them in good detail when they released.  

i'm pretty sure it was just an easily missed typo. the error for roy tv was the release date: 2008,

roy tv released in 2010.  just to help you recall, yamato changed boxes from clam shell style lids to having non lid box on roy tv, those non lid boxes definitely did not appear in 2008.

it released alongside the hikaru piloted roy tv white vf-1s with TV colors supers set.    

the weathering max 1a and kaki 1a are 2.2.   no rainbow canopy for either and 1/48 style crotches. they came out around the same period as the repackaged max and kaki dyrl bundles with super and strike taped boxes similar to the hikaru piloted roy vf-1s with tv supers combo.

yamato also released valks with old packaging as you mentioned above during 2010.  i have a complete list of them but need to dig through my collection in storage to confirm which i can't at the moment.    

Ah yes, the image is chronological so the Roy TV must have suffered a copy paste error. I'll fix on the next round.

Good into on the later weathering releases, since the first ones were repackaged regular releases I assumed Yamato continued doing that. I'll update those as well. If you have reissue dates in old packaging I'd love to have that info and see if it can be incorporated somehow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It finally happened, yesterday. What I thought was the "safe" non busting shoulders have busted out for me. My Super DYRL VF-1S Hikaru gave out and cracked (both). Thanks to the parts Shawn sent (mine were the white parts(hey, beggars can't be choosers) years ago, I was able to surgically replace them.

The metal sticks had one end with the bite marks.

Thanks Shawn!

5 hours ago, fenrir72 said:

It finally happened, yesterday. What I thought was the "safe" non busting shoulders have busted out for me. My Super DYRL VF-1S Hikaru gave out and cracked (both). Thanks to the parts Shawn sent (mine were the white parts(hey, beggars can't be choosers) years ago, I was able to surgically replace them.

Thanks Shawn!

Sorry to hear about that. Is that Hikaru from 2008 release? One of the first 2.0 releases?

17 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Sorry to hear about that. Is that Hikaru from 2008 release? One of the first 2.0 releases?

I think so. The box is in storage in a very hard to access place in the attic but iirc its the image 3 boxes from upper left of wmkjr post but my Valk is the dark gray plastic not bone white. Also weird is the split occurring in the part where the metal pole had no crinkle/bite marks (the top part). The crinkle is positioned facing down fyi.

So Shawn's spare parts sent those many years ago helped a lot ( maybe I should have performed the surgery years ago? ).

Edit:

I don't know if this contributed to the break but my VF 1S has been wearing his GBP armor like since day one I got them both.

Edited by fenrir72

Since the replacement parts metal pole are smooth from end to end, hopefully there will be little stress on the plastic but why the break happened on the smooth side of the old metal pole is kind of perplexing.

On 4/15/2019 at 9:52 AM, fenrir72 said:

Thanks Shawn!

Just to be clear, are you talking about the VF-1S TV yellow and black stripe with TV Hikaru pilot that comes with the TV Super Fast Packs that comes in a box?

4 minutes ago, Bub said:

Just to be clear, are you talking about the VF-1S TV yellow and black stripe with TV Hikaru pilot that comes with the TV Super Fast Packs that comes in a box?

He did mention DYRL so it's the red and black stripe.

On 4/14/2019 at 6:52 PM, fenrir72 said:

3 hours ago, fenrir72 said:

I think so. The box is in storage in a very hard to access place in the attic but iirc its the image 3 boxes from upper left of wmkjr post but my Valk is the dark gray plastic not bone white. Also weird is the split occurring in the part where the metal pole had no crinkle/bite marks (the top part). The crinkle is positioned facing down fyi.

So it is indeed the first DYRL Hikaru VF-1S release. Have to admit, it is prone to breakage. I got mine back then from Jungle and it arrived with a cracked shoulder joint. Good thing it hasn't disintegrated yet. ^_^

8 minutes ago, Bub said:

Thanks for pointing that out. I just got confused when he mentioned “Super” instead of “Strike”.

No worries, sir. I actually thought when he mentioned "Super" he was referring to VF-1A instead of VF-1S. ^_^

25 minutes ago, Bub said:

red chest.

14 minutes ago, Bub said:

Thanks for pointing that out. I just got confused when he mentioned “Super” instead of “Strike”.

My bad.  The DYRL version it is. What noeljm posted about it being prone to breakage :cray:, are there supposed to have more surprises of breakage then?

33 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Just noticed that they now charge $25 for Shapeways replacement shoulder hinge...

https://www.shapeways.com/product/DV3KRQCTN/kanzen-henkei-1-60-scale-fighter-variable-hinge?productConfiguration=3675956&etId=184220318&utm_source=automated-contact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=order-shipped&utm_content=5

It used to cost around $12 when I last ordered some a year ago.

Omgosh that is a heck of a price increase ><

30 minutes ago, fenrir72 said:

My bad.  The DYRL version it is. What noeljm posted about it being prone to breakage :cray:, are there supposed to have more surprises of breakage then?

Aside from the shoulders, there were plenty of backpack breakage reported.  (Never had the backpack problem though)

I was actually worried if you meant TV, because the Super VF-1S is my 2nd favorite 1/60 Valk.  Phew.

On 4/16/2019 at 12:37 AM, Shizuka the Cat said:

Just noticed that they now charge $25 for Shapeways replacement shoulder hinge...

https://www.shapeways.com/product/DV3KRQCTN/kanzen-henkei-1-60-scale-fighter-variable-hinge?productConfiguration=3675956&etId=184220318&utm_source=automated-contact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=order-shipped&utm_content=5

It used to cost around $12 when I last ordered some a year ago.

I need to get one.   i didn't know replacement parts were even available.

When you got your set, how was the quality?  $25 for something with a comment starting they weren't good is not making me feel warm and fuzzy.

• 2 years later...

FYI: @jenius - You may want to update your "safe valkyrie" checklist. I have been hunting around for several months for a Yamato 1/60 v2 VF-1D. I just got the first release (Feb 2009 v.2) and the seller said it was in excellent condition, but its shoulders were cracked (sadly). 

EDIT: I have also seen several other first release VF-1D's being sold also with cracked shoulders.

I also found one on Mandarake, the second release (April 2012 v2.2) - but it also had cracked shoulders, link:

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1181616435&ref=list&keyword=macross VF-1D&lang=en

Suggest you update the checklist.

By the way, I LOVE your reviews and site. THANK YOU for all your hard work and efforts. It is very much appreciated by me!!

Edited by ValkAddict
Adding more info