Beginner Macross Model Kit

Gwynne

So this is something that I have wanted to do for some time now and I finally have the space to set up a work table and put some models together.  I found this thread from 10 years ago and people were recommending the ARII 1/100 and Bandai 1/144 kits because they were inexpensive and beginner friendly.  Are these the kits people were referring to?

Arii 1/100 VF-1S

Arii 1/00 VF-1D

I was also wondering if anyone had any newer or additional suggestions.  How are the 1/100 wave kits?  Should I just dive into a 1/72 Hasegawa kit?  Are there any non Macross kits you recommend?

Thanks for the info.

Edited by Gwynne

13 hours ago, Gwynne said:

So this is something that I have wanted to do for some time now and I finally have the space to set up a work table and put some models together.  I found this thread from 10 years ago and people were recommending the ARII 1/100 and Bandai 1/144 kits because they were inexpensive and beginner friendly.  Are these the kits people were referring to?

Arii 1/100 VF-1S

Arii 1/00 VF-1D

I was also wondering if anyone had any newer or additional suggestions.  How are the 1/100 wave kits?  Should I just dive into a 1/72 Hasegawa kit?  Are there any non Macross kits you recommend?

Thanks for the info.

I'd recommend starting with the 1/72 VF-1A/J/S kit from Hasegawa, as it is also inexpensive (US$15ish @ HLJ, actually cheaper than the Wave and Arii 1/100 kits (S&H costs not being taken into consideration though)). I started with these VF-1 kits based on the price tag. It does have some complications (like correcting the legs alignment, etc.) but it will 'break you in' quicker than building other simpler kits. It's all about personal preferences.

I agree that the Hasegawa 1/72 are very good kits and value for money.

Does not harm to start with the Wave 1/100 kit (I have only built the VF-1A, and had a lot of fun producing result that I like), even though if you go slow, jumping directly to the Hasegawa kit is not impossible. You can always get support and advise from the good people here (or find how to instruction and video from the web).

One extra benefit if you choose to start with the Wave kit, you will be impressed with the jump in quality and potential result offered by the Hasegawa kits. That will provide additional motivation to work through the challenges they offer.

Whatever you choose, having fun is the key. Don't worry about building a perfect project from the get-go.

Either of those recommendations are solid ( wave 1/100 or Hase 1/72)  if you have no experience building kits, take your time. After a few , your confidence and ambition will grow. Macross has some of the best kits out there, IMO.

Happy building!

12 hours ago, kkx said:

..... having fun is the key. Don't worry about building a perfect project from the get-go.

8 hours ago, Bolt said:

... take your time. After a few, your confidence and ambition will grow.

Yes !. Very important !!!