Why SD Valkyries? WHY?

Shizuka the Cat

Once I started my trend of buying every M&M pair I could get my hands on, I finally got ahold of a Max JM to match my original Miriya Matchbox rebox.  Had that thing since the late 80s, and was my first actual transforming Valkyrie toy, so I felt it was fitting to finally finish the pair.

8 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Once I started my trend of buying every M&M pair I could get my hands on, I finally got ahold of a Max JM to match my original Miriya Matchbox rebox.  Had that thing since the late 80s, and was my first actual transforming Valkyrie toy, so I felt it was fitting to finally finish the pair.

You’re a good man (collector). I have the same feeling about Max and Miria. They should always be a pair.

1 hour ago, Scyla said:

I‘m still sad Bandai never made more of the transforming Frontier SD Messiahs. That reminds me I need to find that Alto one.

I have that one; snapped the head clean off first time transforming it lol :(

I’m a big fan of the prize figs, though they do not transform.

IMG_2013.thumb.JPG.fc140df5b72f83fcbf46ef16b81b68a6.JPG

I would be excited if Bandai released Macross NXEDGE figs. I really like the EVA and Gurren Lagann versions.

318EF6A4-B075-4E62-B642-14D7FE743D17.thumb.jpeg.c05e1d2473852908f32e731b86ba30e5.jpeg

6 hours ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

I have that one; snapped the head clean off first time transforming it lol :(

I’m a big fan of the prize figs, though they do not transform.

IMG_2013.thumb.JPG.fc140df5b72f83fcbf46ef16b81b68a6.JPG

I've got half of those (the 25S battroid/gerwalk and the Monster). They're quite well detailed/painted considering the cost. The Monster even has nose art.

Really want to find the Q-Rau ones.

18 minutes ago, Bolt said:

And so @Shizuka the Cat, did you get your question answered?

lol

I think this should be the official “Show off your SD Macross collection” thread in honor of her question.

@Shizuka the Cat post some pics of those SD Lucky 7 valks you have and join the fun :lol:

19 minutes ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

I think this should be the official “Show off your SD Macross collection” thread in honor of her question.

Lol. It’s rapidly becoming that!

Oh , thanks Shizuka!

Thanks for posting all those SD valkyries...  I think I realize why I am not a big fan of them:  Their SD-ness makes them not look aerodynamic to me. The wing proportions in particular become to small, and throws off my aerospace engineering sensibilities.

So, SD valkyries might be cute, but lose their sleekness as aircraft in my eyes. Just my personal taste though, and it does not take away from the appeal that such toys have to anyone else here.

1 hour ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

@Shizuka the Cat post some pics of those SD Lucky 7 valks you have and join the fun :lol:

Do you mean the Lucky Star / Macross Frontier valkyries?  While small, their proportions are not deformed to such an extent that I would classify them as SD. I think they still have viable wing spans, and their main body is not so bloated compared to many of the SD VF-1 toys that people posted pictures of.

image.png.71f181f94633f50e130d02ce05ec6fd4.png

I have a set of clear Toynami morphers.. with a collectors cell... somewhere... I thought they were pretty silly IMO.

I ended up Going all in on the KC SD Valks.. I have everything out except for the fokker 1S.. which reminds me I need to send them an email about that.

I was using them as toppers for my SDF Macross Pachislo machine.. they replaced the HMR valks that replaced my original topper,  which was a Max and Millia Super Posables  from toynami.

Edited by Stampeed Valkyrie

49 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Thanks for posting all those SD valkyries...  I think I realize why I am not a big fan of them:  Their SD-ness makes them not look aerodynamic to me. The wing proportions in particular become to small, and throws off my aerospace engineering sensibilities.

So, SD valkyries might be cute, but lose their sleekness as aircraft in my eyes. Just my personal taste though, and it does not take away from the appeal that such toys have to anyone else here.

Do you mean the Lucky Star / Macross Frontier valkyries?  While small, their proportions are not deformed to such an extent that I would classify them as SD. I think they still have viable wing spans, and their main body is not so bloated compared to many of the SD VF-1 toys that people posted pictures of.

image.png.71f181f94633f50e130d02ce05ec6fd4.png

Funny story.. when Bandai made its first SD VF-25, I think a fair number of people thought it was a better looking VF-25 than the first Bandai DX version. :lol: 

Agreed though, those are cute and pudgy without ruining their proportions to the point where they look like they wouldn't fly. 

Just wanted to say that a colleague was visiting me at my desk, saw some of the toys I have on my shelf, and asked me "What is 'Robotech'?".... but she pronounced it 'robot' + 'ech' instead of 'robo' + 'tech'.  LOL, I could not help but laugh.

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

1 hour ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Just wanted to say that a colleague was visiting me at my desk, saw some of the toys I have on my shelf, and asked me "What is 'Robotech'?".... but she pronounced it 'robot' + 'ech' instead of 'robo' + 'tech'.  LOL, I could not help but laugh.

Good thing that your colleague didn't read one that says ROI30TECH. :lol:

Edited by no3Ljm

On 1/14/2019 at 2:52 PM, Shizuka the Cat said:

41da102d-e0bd-40a2-86b9-76ff616d9265.jpg

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/86203

Is there even a market for SD Valkyries?  I just don't get it...

For these particular Morphers, no. When they first came out they hit the bargain bins pretty fast. I'm surprised that Toynami's going to roll the dice on these guys again, especially when the old Fast Pack equipped Morphers are selling for around the same price on eBay. :wacko:

50 minutes ago, TheLoneWolf said:

For these particular Morphers, no. When they first came out they hit the bargain bins pretty fast. I'm surprised that Toynami's going to roll the dice on these guys again, especially when the old Fast Pack equipped Morphers are selling for around the same price on eBay. :wacko:

Maybe they're just selling the ones they still had in stock from the previous run

5 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

MA-KU-ROS is easier to pronounce.

Honestly, I don't think SD Valkyries are cute.  It's because they lack humanoid features.  Gundams have two eyes, Transformers have two eyes, and many have noses and mouths as well -- all recognizably human attributes missing from Valkyrie head designs -- so other robots tend to work better in super-deformed proportions.  Valkyrie faces are just too coldly mechanical to be anthropomorphized. 

In fact, I think that's why the VFGs exist instead.

cg50025488.jpg

8 hours ago, seti88 said:

MA-KU-ROS is easier to pronounce.

ADV's "Muh-CROSS" dub would suggest otherwise...  <_<

5 minutes ago, jenius said:

Are those Macross girl kits pre painted and just require some assembly?

Hey Jenius. Those came pre-colored plastic like regular Gundam kits with stickers I believe. For more info, check out the Aoshima VFG thread in the Model Kit section for more photos.

2HaCC0d.jpg

Edited by no3Ljm

I don't think when I purchased the original toy they were called SD or even joke machines. I'm sure there was a similar topic or I posted something about these small figures before as I was attempting to remember the old toy store where I purchased them. But the only thing I knew back then was it was a Robotech veritech and it could transform. I didn't own the bigger toy and I didn't like the look of it. It's possible that I owned Jetfire but I didn't like the colors on it and thought it was a ripoff and not the Robotech veritech. The SD toy did everything I wanted and it was kind of cute even though it wasn't accurate. And my favorite thing about it was that it had the rotating heat shield. I thought that was the coolest thing as a kid. I still own one of the original toys. I think I had two of them but I could only find Milia's I believe and some extra parts. It's packed away somewhere.

On 1/14/2019 at 4:26 PM, jenius said:

While we're on the subject of SD valks, for those of you who do have interest, the KitzConcept SD Valks are huge in comparison to jokemachines and some flavors can be had pretty cheap directly from KC.

Thanks for the tip, Jenius! The KC site currently has a sale on Max & Milia that is good enough for me to give in to my M&M completionist compulsion.

44 minutes ago, magicsp00n said:

Thanks for the tip, Jenius! The KC site currently has a sale on Max & Milia that is good enough for me to give in to my M&M completionist compulsion.

Oh damn I wanted Hik‘s VF-1J but it’s sold out. Very nice deal on the M&Ms. 

Edited by spacemanoeuvres
wrods