Convertors Transforming Toy Line (Select)

fifbeat

5 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I really wish they'd bring this line back; I miss buying them! :(

Me too. I remember these hit the shelves the same time ROBOTECH was on TV. And I was like "They got the names wrong... wtf!?" 

=)

I remember being at Spencer’s Gifts in the mall in 1984.  They were riding high on the robot toy craze but everything they had was a bootleg or repackage of the real deal.  They had a huge stack of LionBot deluxe sets and a a giant wall of Convertors.  It was glorious.  I bought the VF-1S Convertor.  I remember the girl at the counter was wearing  a dog collar. Lol, the 80’s.

My brother and I had several Convertors toys between us. They were cheap, yes.. but they occupy a space in time for both of us that was much simpler. We loved them as though they cost much more. It would be a little while longer before either of us would get our hands on the coveted Transformers toys of the day. We got a lot of enjoyment out of those Convertors. It's nice to see them again in this thread. Thanks!

Edited by Drad

12 hours ago, glane21 said:

I remember being at Spencer’s Gifts in the mall in 1984.  They were riding high on the robot toy craze but everything they had was a bootleg or repackage of the real deal.  They had a huge stack of LionBot deluxe sets and a a giant wall of Convertors.  It was glorious.  I bought the VF-1S Convertor.  I remember the girl at the counter was wearing  a dog collar. Lol, the 80’s.

Nice. I used to go to Spencers in the 80s as well (who didn't, right?), and I DO NOT remember seeing this stuff at all. The thing I remember about Spencers is mainly their sex stuff and the posters at the back end of the store (I'd spend a lot of time flipping through them trying to find the perfect poster of a Tomcat or Lambo) lol 

10 hours ago, Drad said:

My brother and I had several Convertors toys between us. They were cheap, yes.. but they occupy a space in time for both of us that was much simpler. We loved them as though they cost much more. It would be a little while longer before either of us would get our hands on the coveted Transformers toys of the day. We got a lot of enjoyment out of those Convertors. It's nice to see them again in this thread. Thanks!

This is why I like them, especially carded. It reminds me of being at drug store in the 80s. Holding these things in your hand is like going through a time warp. 

I said this before, and I'll say it again, it's all about the very first wave (in their original sourced colors). I guess if I had all the money in the world, I'd go for the rest of 'em, but these are the ones that caught my eye. Again, thanks to @glane21 for the recent addition: 

convertors.thumb.jpg.5edd30733fee2563293a4ca224308b52.jpg

• 9 months later...

Finally completed my Convertors collection (only collecting the first "main" series – original color variants – which were all licensed from various sources). About 5 years in the making! Sorry about the messy closet photo, but here they are: 

IMG_1399.thumb.JPG.e609041ca90abda98ebec2af1cbf12c1.JPG

Edited by fifbeat

2 hours ago, fifbeat said:

Finally completed my Convertors collection (only collecting the first "main" series – original color variants – which were all licensed from various sources). About 5 years in the making! Sorry about the messy closet photo, but here they are: 

IMG_1399.thumb.JPG.e609041ca90abda98ebec2af1cbf12c1.JPG

Congrats!  Perseverance always pays off in the end.....so what's your next quest?

On 1/22/2021 at 12:44 PM, Big s said:

Nice set

Thank you!

On 1/22/2021 at 1:06 PM, glane21 said:

Well done.  The carded examples of this line have gotten super pricey these days!

Totally, man. Thanks again for selling me your SDF-1, which was another hard-to-find missing piece of the puzzle. One was recently selling on ebay for $35 (NISB) as a Buy Now. Missed it! With a deal like that, I wouldn't mind getting a 2nd. 

On 1/22/2021 at 2:07 PM, JB0 said:

Congratulations!

Thank you. 

On 1/22/2021 at 2:19 PM, jvmacross said:

Congrats!  Perseverance always pays off in the end.....so what's your next quest?

That might be it for me. If ebay is the #1 source for hard-to-find Convertors (in sealed packaging), I'd go for more Convertors, but some don't pop up AT ALL!  I guess we'll see. Never say never. 

On 1/22/2021 at 2:25 PM, danth said:

Did you just apologize for winning at life?

Sweet collection!

lol thanks.

On 1/22/2021 at 3:09 PM, jvmacross said:

Agreed.  There should never be a need to apologize for the perceived "quality" of your photographic contributions to the site....regardless of what azzhats consider worthy

=)

Very cool, Fifbeat! Congrats on seeing your collection to completion after all this time.

I had a small army of the Orgroids, an Olson, Nikick, Ovelon Gazzette, and SDF-1 back in the day. The Ovelon and SDF-1 were the boxed KO's which Glane posted previously (the silver/white box versions), and I think I remember picking them up at a mall department store circa 1985. The SDF-1 had yellow booms with blue arms, and it was always an object of some lament for me that not only could you not put the booms on in the correct orientation in cruiser mode, but that they were the wrong color to boot :D

I never picked up any of the Converters or KO Henkei Valkyries although they were ubiquitous in SoCal in the '80s, as I already had a 1/100 Taka bootleg which I judged as being superior. The Henkei KOs I remember seeing around most frequently were boxed versions amusingly branded as 'Battroid Walkyrie'.

20 hours ago, Hiriyu said:

Very cool, Fifbeat! Congrats on seeing your collection to completion after all this time.

I had a small army of the Orgroids, an Olson, Nikick, Ovelon Gazzette, and SDF-1 back in the day. The Ovelon and SDF-1 were the boxed KO's which Glane posted previously (the silver/white box versions), and I think I remember picking them up at a mall department store circa 1985. The SDF-1 had yellow booms with blue arms, and it was always an object of some lament for me that not only could you not put the booms on in the correct orientation in cruiser mode, but that they were the wrong color to boot :D

I never picked up any of the Converters or KO Henkei Valkyries although they were ubiquitous in SoCal in the '80s, as I already had a 1/100 Taka bootleg which I judged as being superior. The Henkei KOs I remember seeing around most frequently were boxed versions amusingly branded as 'Battroid Walkyrie'.

Thanks. Yeah, I do remember the SoCal "robot toy scene" in the 80s, as well as all those references you pointed out. I remember places like Robinsons/May Co even had a toy section. Transforming robot toys was as hot as coke in the 80s! 

So is the Valkyrie the worst of the bunch for these? I got the pencil sharpener versions of the Valkyrie and the Orguss from Cost Plus or something back in the day. I was pretty, uh, not impressed by the Valkyrie. The Orguss seemed to be more faithful to its design at least.

Edited by danth

3 hours ago, danth said:

So is the Valkyrie the worst of the bunch for these? I got the pencil sharpener versions of the Valkyrie and the Orguss from Cost Plus or something back in the day. I was pretty, uh, not impressed by the Valkyrie. The Orguss seemed to be more faithful to its design at least.

They're definitely cheapie for sure. The "Orguss" ones from this line looked pretty good for budget toys. Even their proportions are ahead of their time. 

• 7 months later...
11 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Great video!

I was wondering if anyone ever noticed there are two completely different molds of these bootlegs. Not sure if there are any similarities with <T.T> versions, or if either of these are like the original.   

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wow...I miss these guys! I wish they'd bring them back, but fat chance of that happening nowadays...

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, fifbeat said:

Are these bootlegs? "Mark"?

No, Mark was the company used by Takatoku Toys to manufacture the "Henkei" line of toys....kind of like Takatoku hired Matsushiro to manufacture the 1/55, 1/100 and other toys for Takatoku.  I guess it is sort of odd that their name even appears on the promotional materials...

At the end of it all, Mark carried the torch one final time with the release of the Henkei #6 - Super VF-1S Valkyrie, which is the "Mark-iest" of all the Takatoku Macross Henkeis....the Takatoku Toys logo is printed only once throughout the packaging...and Mark felt it was best to place it on the bottom of the box.....

large.gallery_12176_633_1092762.jpg.195c

https://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/48033-the-super-vf-1s-henkei-valkyrie-series-6product-by-mark/?tab=comments#comment-1517041

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

Is that made out of rubber? I think I had one as a kid alongside a F-15 Eagle one.

It is: there is a great site for all of the Convertors:

http://www.the-liberator.net/site-files/robot-toys/convertors-select-index.htm

As for the flexibots, here's link to pics of all of them (including the eagle):

http://www.the-liberator.net/site-files/robot-toys/convertors-select-flexibots.htm