I'm unabashidly a large fan of the miniseries, and this movie's Baron has biiiiiig boots to fill.  The miniseries Baron was exactly the image I have in mind whenever I reread the book.

Patrick Stewart's Gurney is DA BEST.  This movie's Duncan Idaho looks interesting.  The worms look appropriately epic, though :D

For some reason, I never saw Dune. Ever. Still to this day. As an 80's kid, that's kinda weird I guess. The new one looks very cool, I would go check it out, but maybe I should watch the old one 1st???. All I do know is, I need to know who does that creepy Pink Floyd cover in the new trailer! Sounds awesome! 

15 hours ago, pablumatic said:

I got a lot of deja-vu to the 1984 Lynch version of the movie from this trailer. I mostly enjoy the 1984 version.

That said I'm not excited for this one. Maybe its due to the feeling I've seen it before already. I will watch it at some point. Probably at home.

Same here, just looks like a Special Edition cut (ala the Star Wars trilogy), but they removed Patrick Stewart. As long as the plague is still going on I'll wait for a home release.

3 hours ago, Focslain said:

Same here, just looks like a Special Edition cut (ala the Star Wars trilogy), but they removed Patrick Stewart. As long as the plague is still going on I'll wait for a home release.

If either one of you have only seen the completely not like the book 1984 movie then you haven’t experienced more than a surface level of one of dozens of layers of Dune.  This is a two part film too so they’ll have marginally more time to get back story in there (though Villeneuve has already shown he does not understand the philosophy of Frank Herbert by some of his decisions.)

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

I prefer the miniseries Dune to that dreadful movie as well.  It is a real pity it did not have a higher budget.

Same and agree.

like this trailer just HATE the over the top soloist (oooooh oh oh oh oooooooh) in the song cover though. Completely out of place.

Chris 

Edited by Dobber

4 hours ago, Old_Nash said:

No ones like Scy-Fy Dune XD

<snip>

Don't listen to the haters. It's a minority opinion for sure, but I couldn't get into the low-tech Scy-Fy version either and I love Herbert's novels. 

In contrast, the new trailer is hitting a lot of high notes. I do hope they are able to succeed on the big screen this time around.

14 hours ago, Mommar said:

If either one of you have only seen the completely not like the book 1984 movie then you haven’t experienced more than a surface level of one of dozens of layers of Dune.  This is a two part film too so they’ll have marginally more time to get back story in there (though Villeneuve has already shown he does not understand the philosophy of Frank Herbert by some of his decisions.)

Yeah, not going to lie. The movie is my only real taste of that universe. I didn't have any issues with it either. 

Speaking of the series I'll add it to my watch-list once I find it. 

16 hours ago, Mommar said:

There's something about the new movie (what I can see in the trailer) that bugs me but I'm not smart enough to understand why lol

I love the books up until maybe the fifth or sixth installment which were a little hard for me to get through.

@Mommar Would you please elaborate on the decisions that illustrate that the director doesn't understand the philosophy of the novels?

One thing I read about is the slight change in language, for example substituting "crusade" for "jihad" which is a small thing that niggles me.

I thought the scyfy miniseries was about as good as can be expected from a screen rendition of the books.  It was okay but reaffirmed my belief that the books would be so hard to translate into something that is entertaining and also respects the source material.  Kind of like Asimov's Foundation; such an amazing series but I feel like it would make a terrible show/movie.

Edited by spacemanoeuvres
wrods

5 hours ago, Einherjar said:

I miss Sting. He was underutilized.

:rofl:

On 9/10/2020 at 6:25 PM, Dynaman said:

I prefer the miniseries Dune to that dreadful movie as well.  It is a real pity it did not have a higher budget.

On 9/10/2020 at 10:22 PM, CoryHolmes said:

On the flip side, the lack of budget gave it a sense of style and cinematography that I really enjoy.  

SyFy did it better with Children of Dune. I agree SyFy's original miniseries was closer in spirit to the source material than Lynch's movie but there were a couple noteworthy distractions: 1) Paul is supposed to be a teenager and was played by Alec Newman who was in his 20s and looked his age. MacLachlan, in contrast, looked young for his age in Lynch's film. Interestingly, Newman's rugged looks worked in his favor when he reprised his role in Children. 2) The costumes were absurd to the point of being distracting. That's more of a budget constraint, but again Children was able to tone down the flamboyant looks while still giving the second series that otherworldly flair.

Children of Dune also gets props for having a young James McAvoy playing Leto II, and doing a fine job of it.

The areas where Lynch erred were with how he describes the Guild Navigators. the Bene Gesserit, and the Weirding Way (which became an odd fantasy McGuffin in the film). His two biggest sins were the rain scenes on Arrakis (which disappointed Herbert, reportedly), and turning Paul's story into that of a hero instead of a cautionary tale.

Edited by technoblue

1 hour ago, technoblue said:

SyFy did it better with Children of Dune. I agree SyFy's original miniseries was closer in spirit to the source material than Lynch's movie but there were a couple noteworthy distractions: 1) Paul is supposed to be a teenager and was played by Alec Newman who was in his 20s and looked his age. MacLachlan, in contrast, looked young for his age in Lynch's film. Interestingly, Newman's rugged looks worked in his favor when he reprised his role in Children. 2) The costumes were absurd to the point of being distracting. That's more of a budget constraint, but again Children was able to tone down the flamboyant looks while still giving the second series that otherworldly flair.

Children of Dune also gets props for having a young James McAvoy playing Leto II, and doing a fine job of it.

The areas where Lynch erred were with how he describes the Guild Navigators. the Bene Gesserit, and the Weirding Way (which became an odd fantasy McGuffin in the film). His two biggest sins were the rain scenes on Arrakis (which disappointed Herbert, reportedly), and turning Paul's story into that of a hero instead of a cautionary tale.

Well stated

2 hours ago, technoblue said:

and the Weirding Way (which became an odd fantasy McGuffin in the film). 

Engh, this one I'm willing to give Lynch.  Fictional "future lasers" were probably a more palatable idea than "mystic martial arts" to a post-Star Wars society.  It also gave us this epic scene.

"BREAK!"

Edited by CoryHolmes

Granted. Star Wars was a juggernaut back then, and Lynch's Dune also had an element of studio interference if I recall correctly. Anyway, I'm not trying to bag on his version since I do enjoy the old movie. It just would have been a nice twist on cinema history if Lynch had been able to stick to a form of creative martial arts that gave us scenes in Dune foreshadowing the Matrix-like cinematography we got fifteen years later.

And all that's to say that I'm really very curious to see how Villeneuve will handle it, especially after seeing the trailer which teases the sparring match between Gurney and Paul. I'm also really curious to see how his changes to some of the other secondary characters will work out. It's all pretty exciting to me.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Intriguing..

As much as I enjoyed David Lynch's version, I'm really looking forward to another take on it. We'll see how much this version steers or veers from the books..

Edited by Bolt

9 minutes ago, jealous37 said:

The Fremen in those new images don't really look like they have the blue within blue eyes.

And thank the God Emperor for it!  The most annoying and distracting element of previous film versions have been those cheesy rotoscoped eyes.

4 minutes ago, tekering said:

And thank the God Emperor for it!  The most annoying and distracting element of previous film versions have been those cheesy rotoscoped eyes.

I agree they don't need to be glow in the dark blue of the first movie, but if you glance at those images, you're not seeing "blue within blue".  I really had to look to see a blue tint and I'm not even sure if it's there.  From the books, I always imagined that it was quite obvious when someone had spice eyes, and those just don't look obvious to me.