https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/stellan-skarsg-play-villain-legendarys-dune-1174870

Timothee Chalamet = Paul Atreides

Dave Bautista = Beast Raban

Stellen Skarsgard = Baron Harkonnen

The first books story will be split into 2 movies.

Hadn't seen a separate topic for this, so here we go.

The spice must flow...

I think the Dune Saga definitely deserves another shot in Hollywood. The movie from the 80s wasn't so bad but far from doing justice to the original material. One of the few good ideas Hollywood had recently. Let's cross fingers they don't screw up. 

I liked a lot of Jodorowsky's ideas, but not all of them.  I also like Lynch's version a lot.  I think it pulls some ideas from what Jodorowsky wanted to do and visually it was stunning.  Very curious to see Villenueve's take on this, my favorite sci-fi series.

What has me even more hopeful is that it is being broken into 2 movies. That means they’ll be taking there time with the story which is a very good thing for Dune. I literally just finished rereading Dune and there is ALOT of story to be told. Very hopeful...

Chris

16 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

Anyone else besides me like the SyFy version of Dune better then the movie?  The Children of Dune sequel they did was not so good but Dune itself was well done though the lack of budget did limit things.

I did as well. Best interpretation to date IMO

Chris

• 1 year later...

@slaginpit have a nice lie down, there's a good chap. when you wake diversity in entertainment will be normal, it won't seeem so jarring and you won't get so upset.

very hopeful for this! was the number one director i'd pick to do the movie. it probably can't be translated properly but that's okay, we'll always have the book! cast all look the part :)

My concern for this project now is the timing of the release given the ongoing pandemic and its effect on theaters.

The original release date was December 18, 2020, but it's likely that many people will still be avoiding theaters.

So I think there's a chance that either that date get pushed back or this thing goes premium video-on-demand.

Either way, I think this will impact the box office which might hurt the already uncertain chance of getting a part 2 since the movie the first "half" of the book.

Anyone happen to know how the premium VOD releases have gone so far in terms of revenue versus projected theatrical release revenues?

Edited by Mazinger

Not fussed at all about the casting choices, myself, even Stellan Skarsgård as Baron Harkonnen. I don't think he's far off the mark, although his interpretation could be quite different from Kenneth McMillan's interpretation. The two actors certainly look different physically, but that doesn't mean a whole lot in the age of CG.

What I'm more curious about are the tweaks to Jessica's character, since this sort of aligns to how I've imagined her and the Bene Gesserit in my own reading of Dune.  Lynch's portrayal wasn't horrible, but seemed too reserved in retrospect given how the sect was described in Herbert's books. I'm hoping we see them used more as weapons this time around--scheming assassins intent on pushing a very specific agenda that's cast in their religious propaganda.

The photos in the article are very cool. Love the look of the stillsuit. 

5 hours ago, technoblue said:

Not fussed at all about the casting choices, myself, even Stellan Skarsgård as Baron Harkonnen. I don't think he's far off the mark, although his interpretation could be quite different from Kenneth McMillan's interpretation

It SHOULD be different from Kenneth McMillian's interpretation. Nothing from Lynch's film is anywhere near accurate to how the Baron is portrayed in the novel. The man was a charismatic master manipulator, not a raving lunatic with puss filled sores. The problem is Villeneuve is referring to the novel version when he calls the Baron a caricature as he feels the Baron is too schemey, and it sounds like he just wants to turn him into Raban by referring to him as a rhino, a menacing beast of a man prone to violence.

1 hour ago, renegadeleader1 said:

It SHOULD be different from Kenneth McMillian's interpretation. Nothing from Lynch's film is anywhere near accurate to how the Baron is portrayed in the novel. The man was a charismatic master manipulator, not a raving lunatic with puss filled sores. The problem is Villeneuve is referring to the novel version when he calls the Baron a caricature as he feels the Baron is too schemey, and it sounds like he just wants to turn him into Raban by referring to him as a rhino, a menacing beast of a man prone to violence.

That's one thing that the miniseries got PERFECT, the intelligent and scheming Baron.

"For Villeneuve, this 55-year-old story about a planet being mined to death was not merely a space adventure, but a prophecy."

Aaaaaaaaaaand I'm back to 50/50 on whether this will suck as hard as the Lynch version

On 1/9/2019 at 7:10 PM, Dynaman said:

Anyone else besides me like the SyFy version of Dune better then the movie?  The Children of Dune sequel they did was not so good but Dune itself was well done though the lack of budget did limit things.

On 1/9/2019 at 7:27 PM, Dobber said:

I did as well. Best interpretation to date IMO

Chris

I think I'm going to dig out my DVD copy and re-watch that, because it's most certainly the best yet.

The spice must flow.

Long live the fighters of Muad-Dib!!

1 hour ago, slide said:

Long live the fighters of Muad-Dib!!

That scene really drove home to me just how Messanic Paul Atredies is to the Fremen.  Growing up, yeah he's their leader but so is Leonardo, Optimus Prime, Leoric, etc.  I mainly watched the Lynch movie for the outstanding soundtrack, not really grasping at what the novel meant that the movie could only hint at.  The novel was at least a doorstopper thick and I was far too young to really comprehend what it was going on about.

But that scene, watching as Paul somehow managed to put himself above all the other Sietch leaders so as to avoid having to fight and kill them, and watching as his warriors looked on with religious reverence and, "Long live the Duke!" I finally got it.

The other really eye-opening scene for me was the ball/party hosted by the Duke upon arrival at Arrakis.  Watching his concubine brief him on the party guests and not-so-subtly pointing out escape routes if needed, followed by all the courtly intrigue and deadly palace fun drove home just how medieval the setting was.  Honestly, I'd love to play a game set in the first book before the betrayal, with all the courtly backstabbing and big smile/sharp knife goodness :D

ps: Irulan was hot, and had just the right touch of royal badassery to remind people that she was the Emperor's daughter.  I'm happy with the role they gave her in the miniseries.

4 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

True. Lynch used some extreme visuals to show how the Bene Gesserit poison changed the baron. It was shocking to see at first, but I've grown to enjoy it for what it is over time (completely made up). 

Getting back to Villeneuve's "rhino" comment, who knows? I've decided to read it as him being excited about how intimidating Skarsgård looks in character with all his prosthetics attached. Since the whole idea of what the Bene Gesserit Mother did to the Baron is a plot point, as well as an important character point in the first book, it would be jarring if they tweak that background too much. 

And since he then goes on to describe the baron as a predator, I'm still hoping for the best. 

My perception of Dune was always tinted by the the designs for the Jodorowsky film (by some dudes named Giger, Moebius, and Chris Foss...) that were floating around in Heavy Metal magazine and the likes, so I admired the Lynch version for it's aesthetic vision. Villeneuve is definitely the guy to be trusted with bringing the tale to a mature SF audience, even if the costume designs we see so far bring nothing new to the table.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just saying that Pink Floyd's "Eclipse" from Dark Side of the Moon better be in the movie at some point not just the trailer. :lol:

I still enjoy the 1984 DUNE movie, so here's hoping this one is really good story telling and not just an explosion of CGI.