Star Wars Fan films

Dobber

Just wanted to share a couple of, IMO, excellent Star Wars Fan films and hopefully help give them the attention I think they deserve.

First up is Vader:

and next is BucketHeads

either of these would make great series or mini-series. Hope you like them as much as I do. ;)

Please share any that you think are well done as well.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Disney being dicks about Star Wars fan films now.

Even if he "reworked" the Imperial March-theme, it's still too close to the original. There are certain notes in there that sound too similar. If that music is owned by Warner Chappel then he's at fault here. How about removing the video, taking out the score, then re-uploading with a different tune or no music at all?

10 hours ago, azrael said:

Even if he "reworked" the Imperial March-theme, it's still too close to the original. There are certain notes in there that sound too similar. If that music is owned by Warner Chappel then he's at fault here. How about removing the video, taking out the score, then re-uploading with a different tune or no music at all?

A similar sounding "note" doesn't count as a copyright violation.  There are only so many notes/chords one can use to make music.  If the progression of notes/chords is different it doesn't matter how similar in tone they are.

1 hour ago, Mommar said:

A similar sounding "note" doesn't count as a copyright violation.  There are only so many notes/chords one can use to make music.  If the progression of notes/chords is different it doesn't matter how similar in tone they are.

The Vanillia Ice-excuse doesn't work. He go to court with the sheet music and prove it. But it sounds like he doesn't want to go through that trouble. Which brings me to my other comment. Remove the video, remove the offending music, re-score it with a completely different track and re-upload. Warner Chappel doesn't get the AdSense money and everyone stays happy.

24 minutes ago, azrael said:

The Vanillia Ice-excuse doesn't work. He go to court with the sheet music and prove it. But it sounds like he doesn't want to go through that trouble. Which brings me to my other comment. Remove the video, remove the offending music, re-score it with a completely different track and re-upload. Warner Chappel doesn't get the AdSense money and everyone stays happy.

This is not the Vanilla Ice Excuse.  Except for a single solitary extra note at the end Ice Ice Baby is precisely the rhythm from Under Pressure.  That's more than one or two notes/chords in progression.  Because you are sometimes limited in your routes between notes and chords you are sometimes forced to follow two or three of the same progression before deviating.  Case in point, Viva La Vida and that Steve Vai song.  They both had to use the same three chords, after that the songs deviated.  Steve Vai lost that case because for those particular chords you cannot deviate and therefore you also cannot claim to own it.  You'd have to show that the majority of a melody or rhythm is the same, such as was the case with Vanilla Ice, in order to prove something was stolen.  The case against Blurred Lines is more likely the angle here, that somehow style cannot be mimicked.  And what a garbage ruling that was.

4 hours ago, JB0 said:

Hooray!

I heard about that from Geeks & Gamers. I wonder if that move was more PR desperation/damage control than pure concern to the fan owner/maker? Certainly, Disney has been intent on driving the bus into oncoming traffic... 

I only have one question: who is the other company that this guys mentions, that caused all this ruckus in the first place?

Edited by TehPW
I cans Thinks! eeeerrrrhhh

13 hours ago, badboy00z said:

Lucas Film stepped in and got the claim dropped. 

Good for them.

4 hours ago, TehPW said:

I heard about that from Geeks & Gamers. I wonder if that move was more PR desperation/damage control than pure concern to the fan owner/maker? Certainly, Disney has been intent on driving the bus into oncoming traffic... 

I only have one question: who is the other company that this guys mentions, that caused all this ruckus in the first place?

It was likely PR 'cuz it sounds like he talked to LucasFilm way back before he started filming to get the ground rules on the fan film. The other company is either Warner Chappell, UBEM, AMRA, UMPI, or PEDL.