MAAS Toys is making Veritech Hovertanks and Red Commander Bioroids w/Biover!

Well folks, Hell has officially frozen over. MAAS Toys announced a few hours ago they're making both the Veritech Hovertank (apparently all 3 modes: Transport, Gladiator/Tank and Battloid) as well as the Red Bioroid Commander w/Biover. Thank God I started with the gig economy so I can afford to splurge on these when they come out. This will be an awesome way to celebrate the coming 35th Anniversary of SDC: Southern Cross. No word yet on if they're doing all the variants of the Spartas and/or add-ons (Space Jump Pack/Space Maneuver Thruster Set). Presumably they will do all 5 versions of the Bioroid eventually. There is a great clamor for the Ajax so far as well and hopefully they will do that. I'd love to get all the Army of the Southern Cross Battloids and the Kraken Dive Power Amplified Body Armor as well.

MAAS Toys Facebook Page

Anyone know who they are?  I don't recall hearing about MAAS Toys before.

Update: Found their site, seems like they have product in the wild.  Any of you guys have one of their pieces? If so can you comment on cost, quality, etc?
https://maastoys.com/news/

Edited by Mazinger

MAAS Toys have designed several unlicensed Transformers figures; are these officially-licensed Robotech products?  I see them using the names, the Robotech logo and even the Harmony Gold logo...!

If they're not licensed, they could be courting disaster.  :unsure:

Gotta say, this is a neat little design, seems like a riff on Bumblebee's cybertron design:

https://maastoys.com/product/skiff/

39 minutes ago, tekering said:

they could be courting disaster

Ha! "Courting" pun intended?  Oh well, I do hope they don't get in trouble.  If there is one thing, one tiny thing that I think HG actually improved on, over any of the original works, it is in giving Southern Cross somewhat of an ending, so I don't mind the RT association with SC.  A shame the original never got a proper ending. 

Edited by Mazinger

Where is this company based? If it in Russia, they are fine (TPTB would laugh at any legal action taken against them)… besides, unless they are dealing with Japanese concerns, who cares if HG is losing profits? If it was anyone else, maybe we should be concerned but it's HG. screw them...

2 hours ago, Mazinger said:

Anyone know who they are?  I don't recall hearing about MAAS Toys before.

Update: Found their site, seems like they have product in the wild.  Any of you guys have one of their pieces? If so can you comment on cost, quality, etc?
https://maastoys.com/news/

I have two of the Mayhem Mekanics/Unrustable Bastards (Spector General and Otomo), and those were "produced" by MAAS Toys (according to the box).

Very very high quality, though I don't know if they use the same factories for every one of their product lines. I think they may switch, since I think I heard that that line was a different manufacturer than some of their previous stuff (I may be wrong though).

Just now, captain america said:

I'm curious to see how they're going to handle the Bioroid. While it may seem simpler than the Spartas, it has compound curvatures and joints that may not translate well to 3-D.

Why wouldn’t the joints translate to 3D?

4 minutes ago, Mommar said:

Why wouldn’t the joints translate to 3D?

Weren't there model kits of the Bioroid in the '80s (the Matchbox one later doesn't count, since it was so far off from the lineart)?

s400-1-12_southern_cross_sol_bioroid.jpg.64e6721329f4d65fc2ecea21eb02b264.jpg

s400-1-12_southern_cross_sol_bioroid_b.jpg.d59f437fa86c0f15a141b5a92128dcb0.jpg

s400-1-12_southern_cross_sol_bioroid_c.jpg.4b3489d4c58c91048ca2c3c59599c127.jpg

This was posted a long time ago on this site:

e475b17ea325d379.thumb.jpg.74a21e98e37cdcce7b913d2fcb463b98.jpg

Found this while doing a quick search. Gotta love the hover bike.

http://www.zormaster.com/southerncrossmodels.html

1 minute ago, RavenHawk said:

Weren't there model kits of the Bioroid in the '80s (the Matchbox one later doesn't count, since it was so far off from the lineart)?

s400-1-12_southern_cross_sol_bioroid.jpg.64e6721329f4d65fc2ecea21eb02b264.jpg

s400-1-12_southern_cross_sol_bioroid_b.jpg.d59f437fa86c0f15a141b5a92128dcb0.jpg

s400-1-12_southern_cross_sol_bioroid_c.jpg.4b3489d4c58c91048ca2c3c59599c127.jpg

This was posted a long time ago on this site:

e475b17ea325d379.thumb.jpg.74a21e98e37cdcce7b913d2fcb463b98.jpg

Found this while doing a quick search. Gotta love the hover bike.

http://www.zormaster.com/southerncrossmodels.html

The red Bioroid was a L & S kit; I had it eons ago, as well as the later Academy knock-off. 

I have some Scopedogs around that size that are pretty cool though. Just the same, I would prefer a MUCH larger scale. Southern Cross stuff should all be minimum 1/32. I think at 1/24 scale it would probably fit most size-wise with something like a 1/60 Macross display. 

12 hours ago, jenius said:

Southern Cross stuff should all be minimum 1/32. I think at 1/24 scale it would probably fit most size-wise with something like a 1/60 Macross display. 

12 hours ago, captain america said:

You realize that a Bioroid is only about 14cm tall in 1/48 and would be barely over 11cm in 1/60, yes?

Perhaps this image will clarify the situation:

7888474_Robotechscalechart1.2.thumb.jpg.021765c7772ca0d0282a51e0d0bb2a9c.jpg

Edited by tekering

If they make the Hovertank 1/12 scale, it can go with Kitz Concept’s Dana figure.  If they make the Hovertank around 1/18 scale, maybe Toynami will make some Robotech The Masters figures that can go with it.

27 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

If they make the Hovertank 1/12 scale, it can go with Kitz Concept’s Dana figure.  If they make the Hovertank around 1/18 scale, maybe Toynami will make some Robotech The Masters figures that can go with it.

From everything I've heard, Toynami will make Masters War merchandise sometime after the Sun goes supernova. They had their chance to make super-poseables years ago and did nothing. Screw them.

1 hour ago, Convectuoso said:

I'd prefer something of a similar size to an HMR, so I'm guessing it should be around 1/48

Would you care if it required more part swapping? Just curious. I can deal with HMR level parts swapping but I really wouldn't want to see VF100 level parts swapping.

3 hours ago, jenius said:

Would you care if it required more part swapping? Just curious. I can deal with HMR level parts swapping but I really wouldn't want to see VF100 level parts swapping.

Mmmm... I'm just thinking about my available shelf space. It always seemed to me that the hovertank transformation was quite simple, but I may be completely wrong about that. 

21 minutes ago, TheLoneWolf said:

I don't think the unfortunate residents of Hell will have to worry about finding a new home just yet, considering there's a long list of unreleased Robotech toys. :p

But in all seriousness, I hope this line does hit retail. It's hard to find a more passionate fanbase than Southern Cross fans.

It's difficult enough finding a Southern Cross fans at all. ;)