sh9000

I just love how this movie has pretty much shot The Little Rat-Fish in the proverbial barrel (soulless corruptions of beloved classics deserve nothing less), and obliterated the manufactured narrative excuses for its wholesale rejection... down 69.1% on its second Friday (Box Office Mojo)... another embarrassing money losing flop apparently in the making for a company with an impressive string of L's over the past few years; <sarc> wonder why? </sarc>.

My kid loved it and my wife and I left the theater after watching it thinking it was pretty solid.  Can't wait to order the blu-ray and for Beyond the Spider-Verse.

Cast members discuss it all.

• 2 weeks later...

Movie was as great the second time around as it was the first. Definitely agree that it's probably an age bracket too old for the target demographic that was most excited to see it. There's some... I wouldn't exactly say heavy subject matter, but definitely unexpected subject matter for a kids'/superhero movie.

The second time around I was especially enamored with the dynamic backgrounds, and especially the brush stroke effects in Gwen's world that changed in real time to visualize emotions or even just to make a more visually interesting shot. A couple moments where the whites of her suit didn't even match in order to emphasize an outstretched hand, a hoodie, mask, etc. Just a very pleasant movie to look at at almost all times.

Speaking of Gwen, I half-suspected she would be more of a focus in this movie, and I was happy to see that's the case, and I was double happy to see they didn't make her (and the other characters') dramatic arcs easy. Despite their obvious attraction, she tries to maintain a friends-only distance with Miles; and yet despite constantly undermining herself in that regard (they only grow inexorably closer the more they're together) she also constantly and consciously hurts him more and more as the truths of her occupation come to light. And by the end of the movie, her resolve to rescue him isn't driven by romantic epiphany or something, but by a broader character turnaround and refreshed commitment to her standards of heroism. I was a big fan of what they did with her here; again Lord and Miller proving capable of wringing original stories out of these new-gen Spider-people that comics writers (supposedly, according to people who read them) have been struggling to do ever since their inceptions.

Also, the soundtrack rocked. It was good the first time seeing it, but I didn't really pay attention until the second. Nothing much else to say. Bangers all around, just like last time. I guess it just isn't as memorable...? It's hard to one-up the What's Up Danger? montage.

• 1 month later...

My hurried comment that I mistakenly posted in the Venom thread.

2 hours ago, kajnrig said:

EDIT: Sorry, was going off the URL, forgot this isn't the right thread. Anyway...

I doubt that's the ONLY reason. Word I've heard from the grapevine is that crunch was insane on Across, with Lord and Miller constantly changing story, character, and scene beats that had to be re-animated. By the time the movie released, they had only just started production on Beyond, making a next-year release basically impossible.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...