Art Critique of Robotech through the lens of Gender Studies and Female Character Analysis

Brofessor

6 hours ago, azrael said:

Now now. Be nice. Then be gentle when you break it to him.

Nope. Just rape him. Therapy is his problem, not ours. Fight or Flight, Might makes Right. Then again, I find myself with a tendency to think like a Trashborn clanner in my old age... seriously, is this discussion gonna end up as a class project at [Insert College name here] State University?

15 hours ago, sketchley said:

Going back to the 'good housewife' point, it brought to mind thoughts of: how much is that show a child of the '80's?  How much were the writers reflecting reality or the idealized female character for their target demographic (not necessarily male)?

Goin' out on a limb here, but I suspect the point of contention there isn't so much that Jeanne's eventual ambition is to be a housewife as it is that Jeanne's only reason for joining the military was to go husband-hunting in its ranks and quit the minute she snared a good one.  (Not that the show's handling of Lana and Marie was any better.)

It's kind of an earlier, prototypical version of the dichotomy that people would use to take shots at Twilight by comparing it to Harry Potter.  Macross is about love and the power of culture and communication... Southern Cross is about how vitally important it is to have a boyfriend, even if he's batsh*t crazy.

11 hours ago, fenrir72 said:

Not that I'm putting down Carl Macek's efforts. If not for him, anime in the west would not have taken root early.

That's a dubious proposition if ever there was one... 

1 hour ago, TehPW said:

seriously, is this discussion gonna end up as a class project at [Insert College name here] State University?

I'm wondering that myself... as this inquiry has apparently been posted on other sites besides this one too, including The Forum That Must Not Be Named.

7 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

This is as creepy as that guy who promoted his “Women of Robotech” convention panel.  

Thanks troll farms.

... I must have missed that one.  Please don't fill me in.