now is it just me or is macross pretty close on wh

garoquel

What do you guys think about this, we are in the middle of a war rigth now and in the Macross world it was the UN wars which if we really think about it its pretty much the start of that rigth now. the only hting were missing is a huge ship coming down from space. we already have a international space station, prototype figthers with 2 dimensional thrust vectoring (although they dont transform, yet ) a new generation aircraft carrier under construction, The War which is due to esacalate soon.

I wonder what kind of crystal ball werre the studio Nue people were looking into in the early 80's.

Tell me what you guys think.

Garoquel

Http://www.macrossmilcomnet.net

I gotta agree with the previous responses. The similarities couldn't be farther from the truth, sure we're in the middle of a war. But it's for totally different reasons that it shouldn't share iwth Macross. :ph34r:

nevermind the reasons, since the reasons for the UN wars were never defined in the first place, actually if you think about it were in the middle of WWIII and nobody is the wiser, although it wont be called that for many years to come.

A) This is perhaps better suited to politics thread/board;

B) What is currently happening in no way fits any appreciable definition of a World War. I must agree with the previous comments; the differences far, far outstrip the similarities.

The way merchandising is heading it won't be long until we have vending machines stalking us.

The thought of a a Coke and Pepsi machine bumping each other to get to you is kind of a funny thought though IMO.

Edited by Anubis

I think in a couple of years the Japanese will have cola machines on wheels. Now that would be cool. I'd go visit Japan just to order a soda from the cola machine.

Kinda pointless since they they have vending machines just about everywhere you look as it is.

A big difference between Macross and real life currently is that we don't all dress like it's still the 80's.

Or maybe some of us do. :lol:

Wait, wait, wait. Who are we at war with? The war on terrorism is a war on some vague idea. Not even a specific group of people, just an idea. The U.S. war in Iraq is pretty much over. Sure, there's a police force there, and some guerilla bombers and stuff, but not complete open warfare.

There's always tensions in the world. Right now not nearly as much as there has been in many years past. Certainly nothing like the Cold War level tensions of oh so long ago.

In the Macross universe, the war was nothing short of a 3rd World War that engulged the entire globe. I don't think, unless something radical comes out of nowhere, that we're anywhere near that sort of war occuring anytime soon.

There's always some sort of war going on in the world somewhere. Tensions are always high for some countries.

I agree with everyone else, you're reading far to much into nothing at all and drawing unrealistic conclusions.

The way merchandising is heading it won't be long until we have vending machines stalking us.

The thought of a a Coke and Pepsi machine bumping each other to get to you is kind of a funny thought though IMO.

I have this image of cola machines attacking each other now.

All it takes is for the AI to be programmed to terminate competitors.

Just don't get caught in the cross fire while a turf war is going on. I've heard that a can of Dr. Pepper can be deadly if it's moving fast enough.

This whole thread is giving me flashbacks to that semi-cultist on the old TheRobotechPage forums who started posting around 1998/99 and kept trying to convince everyone that the SDF-1 really was about to fall to Earth. But maybe that's just because it's 2AM over here and I need sleep./ ;)

This whole thread is giving me flashbacks to that semi-cultist on the old TheRobotechPage forums who started posting around 1998/99 and kept trying to convince everyone that the SDF-1 really was about to fall to Earth. But maybe that's just because it's 2AM over here and I need sleep./ ;)

It's 4 years late now.

I ASSUME it's launch has been delayed by paperwork.

Damned beaurocratic red tape.

Just don't get caught in the cross fire while a turf war is going on. I've heard that a can of Dr. Pepper can be deadly if it's moving fast enough.

:lol::lol::lol:

I don't see any similarities between Macross and whats going on in the world right now....none at all. To compare a storyline of cartoon to what's happening in Iraq, is an insult to our troops that are there and especially the ones who will never come home.

Think about the times in which the original Macross was written... The middle east had become a warzone in the late 70's, the US and the Soviet Union where at each other's throats in the cold war, each building huge armies of new and deadly weapons, several brushfire wars were breaking out all over the globe and terrorism was all over the place.

The world has changed a lot since then and in some respects it hasn't. The names of the players may have changed but the game is still the same... and I think at it's heart it will be the same for years to come. So in that sense the "pre-story" of Macross will on some levels bear a resemblance to current times.

My life fades. The vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos. Ruined dreams. This wasted land. But most of all, I remember the Road Warrior. The man we called 'Max'. To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time. When the world was powered by the black fuel. And the desert sprouted great cities of pipe and steel. Gone now, swept away. For reasons long forgotten, two mighty warrior tribes went to war and touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel they were nothing. They built a house of straw. The thundering machines sputtered and stopped. Their leaders talked and talked and talked. But nothing could stem the avalanche. Their world crumbled. The cities exploded. A whirlwind of looting, a firestorm of fear. Men began to feed on men. On the roads it was a white line nightmare. Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice. And in this maelstrom of decay, ordinary men were battered and smashed. Men like Max. The warrior Max. In the roar of an engine, he lost everything. And became a shell of a man, a burnt out, desolate man, a man haunted by the demons of his past, a man who wandered out into the wasteland. And it was here, in this blighted place, that he learned to live again...

I see great similarities. . . if the 9/11 attacks had been a giant extra-terrestrial spaceship crashing into an island.

Or, instead of the U.S. fighting a war against terrorism essentially alone, the U.N. had decided to unify humanity, via war, under its rule.

And. . . if thrust vectoring were actually giant transforming robots and planes.

The similarities are only there because you want them to be there. You can look at any story, written in the past, set in today's era. . . and I'm sure you'll be astounded at the similarities. . . if you look hard enough for them.

I think this is a case of "I really want Macross to be real!"-itis. :)

H

What do you guys think about this, we are in the middle of a war rigth now and in the Macross world it was the UN wars which if we really think about it its pretty much the start of that rigth now. the only hting were missing is a huge ship coming down from space. we already have a international space station, prototype figthers with 2 dimensional thrust vectoring (although they dont transform, yet ) a new generation aircraft carrier under construction, The War which is due to esacalate soon.

I wonder what kind of crystal ball werre the studio Nue people were looking into in the early 80's.

Tell me what you guys think.

Garoquel

Http://www.macrossmilcomnet.net

nah... there is always war going on.

Actually, you know what's weird? I'd swear the three Zent. spies were listening to a boombox with a CD player just before they left the SDF-1. I know what you're thinking..."That CD stands for casette deck"...but the shape of the hatch is all wrong for tapes. ;) And as far as I remember, CD players didn't exist back in 1982. :p

The world has changed a lot since then and in some respects it hasn't. The names of the players may have changed but the game is still the same... and I think at it's heart it will be the same for years to come. So in that sense the "pre-story" of Macross will on some levels bear a resemblance to current times...

actually i belive that the "war" on earth before Macross started was a global conflict with many more or less equaly matched countrys "Locked" in battle.

as it stands right now, the US is the only real super power in the world, alot of countrys have nukes, but no one has the power to stand up to our conventional weapons. no one has anything that can match our abraams tanks or our f-17 stelth fightes

to put it this way.

Iraqi tanks are about par for the military hardware other countrys are packing right now. and looke what we did to them.

back durring the cold war this wasn't the case. the us and russia were nearly exaclty equal in conventional power. we had are strengths and weaknesses as did the russians. no one had a clear upper hand, and what toppled theUSSR was their poor economy, and poor budgeting, not our military power.

the war that preceeded macross is one of the many outcomes that could have happend nearing the end of the cold war. the world we live in is the course history took.

Garoquel:

"nevermind the reasons, since the reasons for the UN wars were never defined in the first place, actually if you think about it were in the middle of WWIII and nobody is the wiser, although it wont be called that for many years to come. "

read up on some history, the causes of ww1 and ww2 (many historians consider ww2 to be an extension of ww1 and not an independant war) see the powers involved, the countrys involved, the damage caused, and maybe rethink your statement.

The war in iraq had one of the lowest civilian kill counts, one of the lowest collateral damage counts, and one of the quickest most decisive victorys in the history of warfare. it also only had 2 major countrys involved with brittan and australlia being the only two to lend actual troops to our side (i belive) and i dont think anyone came in to help iraq.

it involved a very limited amount of space. the entire war basicly contained in iraq and around its borders, as opposed to an entire continent, and both the pacific and atlantic oceans.

compairing the global war of preceeding macross to the current world climate is kind of like compairing William Wallice to Braveheart.

Edited by KingNor