Bandai Macross VF-1J Maximilian 3 mode model

JagimusPrime

Good evening fam! Just wanted to show my first kit that I am about to start. I don’t know how rare it is, but I am extremely happy to have it. If you have tips, I need them and want the conversation/company. I need some pointers on the Japanese symbols to help get the kit together. Thanks again to everyone!

136B5BDE-A794-4AB2-A9F5-4F53DC71D92F.jpeg

E69AE71E-1704-4C86-A69B-9C276F2037CC.jpeg

824258FC-DD40-4E8F-9031-990941FF603F.jpeg

661FB786-F7FD-4B47-8F16-5B391C6CA332.jpeg

8210CF82-BF2C-430F-BA23-00442BA373A7.jpeg

CAA4103F-89FD-406A-A3DB-A2F764CF02AB.jpeg

A69B7942-0759-45F8-969D-FCBC0E2CAE42.jpeg

3E178FF3-EF06-4079-BE15-AD75BF591F90.jpeg

71F9D7FB-904E-4A63-AB87-F81F67AECEC1.jpeg

D779A726-4886-430D-9625-4FF3E302CC7A.jpeg

A2D7A7B1-815E-4D67-8568-7D90A35E148E.jpeg

01D13D5B-D277-4101-997A-D8FD880ECBF1.jpeg

73149D2B-7590-4105-85E2-F49D73D20A43.jpeg

So looking forward to your build. Sorry I have nothing to offer to translate anything on the instruction sheet, but rest assured you don’t really need to read it. Take your time go through the instructions, dry fit for before paint, clean it, paint, and assemble.

Share progress pics.

Edited by nightmareB4macross
Changed dry to dry fit

I've got a tip for you...  Keep it in the box, man.

Vintage kits just aren't worth the time and effort, when more accurate, modern versions are available.  Hasegawa 1:72 kits are highly regarded for their accuracy and fine detail, and Bandai did an entirely new variable model kit of their own a few years back.  I think you'd find them easier and more satisfying to build, and modern standards of articulation give you a great deal more display options as well.

1 hour ago, tekering said:

I've got a tip for you...  Keep it in the box, man.

Vintage kits just aren't worth the time and effort, when more accurate, modern versions are available.  Hasegawa 1:72 kits are highly regarded for their accuracy and fine detail, and Bandai did an entirely new variable model kit of their own a few years back.  I think you'd find them easier and more satisfying to build, and modern standards of articulation give you a great deal more display options as well.

The more recent Bandai 1/72 kit... Is not great. Super detailed, but also an absolute mess transformation-wise.

8 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

The more recent Bandai 1/72 kit... Is not great. Super detailed, but also an absolute mess transformation-wise.

At least you can pose the battroid:

12149.jpg

Trying doing that with the vintage kit!  :lol:

6 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Yes, excellent point.  Nice pictures of the kit's contents, definitely build it and I'm looking forward to your updates!  Good suggestions from nB4m, especially since it's variable and paint damage can occur during mode changes.

3 minutes ago, tekering said:

At least you can pose the battroid:

12149.jpg

Trying doing that with the vintage kit!  :lol:

Pose it? I can't even get mine to hold together in battroid, without glue. Fighter tabs together, and Gerwalk's not too bad as long as the legs are supported, but there's nothing holding the battroid torso together.

Welcome to the MacrossWorld, JagimusPrime! 

I remember this kit. I used to have one before. Hikaru's VF-1J. ^_^ 

Here's some tips on those symbols:
manual.jpg.9f8716a59a1639e6abe31410392a5d9a.jpg

Be mindful on the areas that has the "!" and areas that has a mix of broken and solid arrows. Usually, areas that has both arrows states that some parts are movable and you just need to add the glue on the areas usually that holds the parts that's moving. See section (5) of the manual. All those parts are inserted with no gluing needed (broken arrow). But parts 36 & 39 should be glued together (solid arrow) like a sandwich. Same as section (11). Parts 101 should be glued to 93 with part 113 sandwiched within. Part 113 should be able to slide in and out.

Anyways, hope it helps. Looking forward to your work in progress photos. Have fun building! ;)

Edited by no3Ljm

I've built the VF-1S and love it.  I built it 10-15 years ago and it still transforms without problems.  The only area of the kit that gave me headaches was the landing gear - I ended up gluing them shut as they were very fiddly.

On 11/30/2018 at 4:26 AM, Convectuoso said:

Don't let this people discourage you from building it. Those kits are fun to build!

I agree - I probably have a half dozen of those kits from the various Macross anniversary releases - VF-1S, Max and Milia’s VF-1Js, VF-1D, three VF-1As, and then several of the ones that were released by Revell (?) under the Robotech name. I really enjoyed building my first one, even though I didn’t know how to paint and left most of it in its original white plastic. I keep telling myself that I’ll build some more, both for fun and for additional painting practice.

I built that same kit back in 1989 or 90.

At the time I didn't understand kits, so I was frustrated that it needed painting and I glue parts that I should not have. I hated the thing, especially since I was a "Perfect Transfromation Snob" ahead of my time.  This kit and the V1 Yamato 1/60 , pushed me away from Macross collecting for about a decade until the Perfect Transformation V2s came out.

But looking back on it now after years of experience, I can say that it is a solid and great classic kit, especially if you love the old school designs.

And I can add that in comparison, the modern transformable Bandai 1/72 is not good for anything except scrap parts.

Build it, paint it, weather it, enjoy it. And share your progress

• 4 weeks later...

I have more than 5 of these hanging around in my stash. Will get round to build some of them for fun.

Post some progress photo, if you have any. Will be a nice encouragement for me.

Just to put it out there, in case it wasnt clear. To OP, the kit you're building is not perfect transformation.

Note the battroid-mode nose cone has the hip joints while fighter-mode doesnt.

Basically there are two swappable front fuselate sections, one for fighter/gerwalk, another for battroid.

And yeah, Bandai's latest 1/72 VF-1 kit is a mess...but fun to build.

Wish they can revisit them, but given that other recent Bandai toy-valks are overly complicated to transform, I dont they have the know-how to simplify the transformation.

Edited by aaajin